Why You Should Surround Yourself With More Books, Than You Will Ever Have Time To Read

The view is great, the air is fresh

Moderator: Super Moderators

Doka
Pirate

Why You Should Surround Yourself With More Books, Than You Will Ever Have Time To Read

Post by Doka » 12-20-2018 01:55 AM

By Jessica Stillman

Lifelong learning will help you be happier, earn more, and even stay healthier, experts say. Plus, plenty of the smartest names in business, from Bill Gates to Elon Musk, insist that the best way to get smarter is to read. So what do you do? You go out and buy books, lots of them.

But life is busy, and intentions are one thing, actions another. Soon you find your shelves (or e-reader) overflowing with titles you intend to read one day, or books you flipped through once but then abandoned. Is this a disaster for your project to become a smarter, wiser person?

If you never actually get around to reading any books, then yes. You might want to read up on tricks to squeeze more reading into your hectic life and why it pays to commit a few hours every week to learning. But if it’s simply that your book reading in no way keeps pace with your book buying, I have good news for you (and for me; I definitely fall into this category): Your overstuffed library isn’t a sign of failure or ignorance, it’s a badge of honor.
Why? Perhaps because it is a well-known psychological fact that it’s the most incompetent who are the most confident of their abilities and the most intelligent who are full of doubt. (Really. It’s called the Dunning-Kruger effect.) It’s equally well established that the more readily you admit you don’t know things, the faster you learn.
Full Article
https://www.fastcompany.com/90275343/wh ... me-to-read
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Doka
Pirate

Re: Why You Should Surround Yourself With More Books, Than You Will Ever Have Time To Read

Post by Doka » 12-20-2018 03:15 AM

My love of books and a reading obsession have really opened up the whole world , that I live in, for me.

My life experiences have come from a lot of things that I did Not want in my life nor to become ,as I grow older.
Like becoming bitter and boring. I always am up for a good conversation on limitless topics. Some I am well versed in, some only have scratched the surface, but, would love to learn more. As I get older good converstion becomes a much needed and welcome stimulus. I will be darned if I'm going to discuss, aches, pain, surgeries and bowel habits, and Doctors appointments , like many of my lady acquaintances do. Zzzzz
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Return to “The Crow's Nest”