Mount St. Helens poised to Pop?

Moderator: Super Moderators

voguy
Pirate

Mount St. Helens poised to Pop?

Post by voguy » 05-07-2016 06:38 AM

Mount St. Helens is one of the most well monitored volcanoes on the planet. Since the catastrophic eruption of May 18, 1980, scientists have conducted research and collected data on the volcano, learning more about its typical behavior. There is absolutely no sign that it will erupt anytime soon, but the data we collect tells us that the volcano is still very much alive.

Beginning March 14, 2016, a number of small magnitude earthquakes have occurred beneath the volcano, at a depth between 2 and 7 km (1.2 to 4 miles). The earthquakes have low magnitudes of 0.5 or less; the largest a magnitude 1.3. Over the last 8 weeks, there have been over 130 earthquakes formally located by the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network and many more earthquakes too small to be located. Earthquake rates have been steadily increasing since March, reaching nearly 40 located earthquakes per week. These earthquakes are too small to be felt, even if you were standing on the surface directly above them.

The earthquakes are volcano-tectonic in nature, indicative of a slip on a small fault. Such events are commonly seen in active hydrothermal and magmatic systems. The magma chamber is likely imparting its own stresses on the crust around and above it, as the system slowly recharges. The stress drives fluids through cracks, producing the small quakes. The current pattern of seismicity is similar to swarms seen at Mount St. Helens in 2013 and 2014; recharge swarms in the 1990s had much higher earthquake rates and energy release.

No anomalous gases, increases in ground inflation or shallow seismicity have been detected with this swarm, and there are no signs of an imminent eruption. As was observed at Mount St. Helens between 1987-2004, recharge can continue for many years beneath a volcano without an eruption.

Each volcano behaves a little differently. Dramatic improvements in computer technology and increased scientific experience with volcano seismicity from around the world have improved our ability to locate earthquakes beneath a volcano faster and with greater accuracy than we could in the past. Research has led to a greater understanding of seismic signals and improved our ability to characterize what is going on at depth, and, if needed, provide eruption warnings.

Follow Activity Updates for Volcanoes in CVO Area of Responsibility at http://on.doi.gov/1TLtH31. Sign up to receive email through the Volcano Notification Service, at https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/vns/.
StH86441.jpg
StH86441.jpg (179.87 KiB) Viewed 7214 times
Map view plot of earthquakes located by the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network from March 14, 2016 through May 5, 2016. Only high-quality locations are shown (8 or more observations with a 130 degree gap or less between observing stations).

StH7787.jpg
StH7787.jpg (171.83 KiB) Viewed 7214 times
Mount St. Helens earthquake record during times of magma recharge. The top plot is the number of located earthquakes per week in the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network catalog. The bottom plot shows the earthquake depths with time. Earthquakes are plotted as circles with the size of the circle corresponding to the magnitude of the earthquake (see legend). Both plots show the time period from 1987 to September 2004, and 2008 to May 4 2016. The 2004 to 2008 eruption at Mount St. Helens has been removed from this record for simplicity. USGS graphic prepared May 5, 2016 by Wes Thelen.

StH116444377.jpg
StH116444377.jpg (29.72 KiB) Viewed 7214 times
During the first part of the swarm that began in March, 2016, Mount St. Helens' September Lobe monitoring station (located on the 1980-86 dome) was buried in deep snow and not transmitting data. USGS-Cascades Volcano Observatory Technicians Kelly Swinford and Amberlee Darold (pictured in the snow pit) dug out the station on March 30, restoring data flow and improving our ability to monitor the swarm. The view is to the northeast with Spirit Lake in the background. USGS image taken March 30, 2016 by Seth Moran.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Raggedyann
Pirate

Re: Mount St. Helens poised to Pop?

Post by Raggedyann » 05-07-2016 06:12 PM

I was in Victoria visiting my parents when the mountain blew in 1980. We heard the blast just after we all got up so we rushed and turned on the radio and minutes later we found out what it was. We left Vic mid morning so we weren't around for the ash that covered everything. I've never forgotten the old man that lived on the mountain and refused to leave when requested to do so. At least he wouldn't have known what hit him.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 05-07-2016 06:55 PM

His name was Harry Truman, He was quite a character.

Somewhere I posted a PBS video of a group of scientists in the caldara of Mt St Helens.
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 05-08-2016 07:54 AM

I've always been amazed that even after Mount St. Helens blew, and all the destruction was seen, people still build in lahar paths, low areas, and on the sides of mountains. But I guess that's no different than building on an earthquake line, or living in the woods surrounded by dead and dry vegetation.

I look for it to rumble and spew again, unless pressure is relieved at Yellowstone.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 05-10-2016 12:08 AM

A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 05-10-2016 10:49 AM

I remember the day well. So if it blows again, ..........well there ya are. We also have another disaster going on a few miles from where I live, much quieter but just as deadly. And that is the Hanford Nuclear Storage Site that is leaking like crazy. The country gone to hell..........Please don't blame for taking on a rather "Fatalist Attitude". I just enjoy every day to the max and have tried to lower my "worry" level cause it it is rather a useless exercise.

Is This the 4th Recent Nuclear Disaster to Strike the U.S.?

"In addition to three other nuclear disasters unfolding across the country, a fourth has now arisen. This new disaster is located in Washington state in a facility known as the Hanford site.

One week after 19 workers were sent for medical evaluation as the nuclear waste tank was being transferred because of a leak, 3 more workers are now being reported as injured at the site. According to RT, the workers inhaled radioactive fumes – the same issue facing the 19 previously hospitalized workers. This brings the injured number of workers up to 22.

The Hanford site has reportedly been leaking massive amounts of radiation for more than two weeks. By no means a recent facility, the Hanford nuclear site is one of the original nuclear facilities in the United States, having been part of the Manhattan Project itself. Weapons-grade plutonium was stored at this facility for use in atomic weapons, one of which was dropped on Hiroshima.

Although the facility was decommissioned at the end of the Cold War, the facility has been used to store nuclear waste. In fact, according to RT, two-thirds of America’s radioactive materials are stored at this location which makes it one of the largest facilities of its kind in the world.

The storage tanks which were built as early as 1940 and as late as 1970 contain 56 million gallons of radioactive chemicals.

According Gerry Pollet, a Washington State Representative, those tanks were never expected to last longer than 20 years.n addition to three other nuclear disasters unfolding across the country, a fourth has now arisen. This new disaster is located in Washington state in a facility known as the Hanford site.

One week after 19 workers were sent for medical evaluation as the nuclear waste tank was being transferred because of a leak, 3 more workers are now being reported as injured at the site. According to RT, the workers inhaled radioactive fumes – the same issue facing the 19 previously hospitalized workers. This brings the injured number of workers up to 22.

The Hanford site has reportedly been leaking massive amounts of radiation for more than two weeks. By no means a recent facility, the Hanford nuclear site is one of the original nuclear facilities in the United States, having been part of the Manhattan Project itself. Weapons-grade plutonium was stored at this facility for use in atomic weapons, one of which was dropped on Hiroshima.

Although the facility was decommissioned at the end of the Cold War, the facility has been used to store nuclear waste. In fact, according to RT, two-thirds of America’s radioactive materials are stored at this location which makes it one of the largest facilities of its kind in the world.

The storage tanks which were built as early as 1940 and as late as 1970 contain 56 million gallons of radioactive chemicals.

According Gerry Pollet, a Washington State Representative, those tanks were never expected to last longer than 20 years."

More here with excellent Video:http://www.globalresearch.ca/is-this-th ... -s/5524241

Note:Too bad it had to be reported on by a Russian News crew, but really glad they at least where there for a bit of journalism.

"Workers reported as injured", they mean "glow" in the dark "injured", Radiation Poisening is not a pretty thing.
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Malaria_Kidd II
Pirate
Location: SW IN USA-UK Midlands SCANIAowner @ Sound Cloud - @ Supernaturalearth

Post by Malaria_Kidd II » 11-18-2018 08:44 PM

Riddick wrote: 05-10-2016 12:08 AM
Hi Riddick, my Mount St. Helens Volcano Eruption search lead me to choose your video for this entry. :) This OP was taken out of the Dark Pages and credited to voguy » 05-08-2016 12:23 AM

An eye opening Mt. Saint Helens' destruction tour 37 years later! :o May 18, 1980 - November 30, 2017

Tonight's You Tube video credit goes to Mobile Instinct
Published on Nov 30, 2017
What I found on Mt. St. Helens - This has been amazing to explore

Climbing to the top of Mt. Saint Helens and looking down into the massive crater below was a truly amazing bucket list item for me. It was the hardest climb of my life, but absolutely worth it. However I had no idea of the unbelievable magnitude of destruction the eruption left below the mountain. St. Helens erupted May 18th 1980 with such force that it changed the surrounding landscape and destroyed everything in it. Finding all the mangled abandoned trucks still sitting on the county side and walking through the lava tubes was just as incredible as being able to finally climb to the top of the mountain to see it for myself.

Visit my website! http://www.themobileinstinct.com

MK II :shock:

Bonus from PBS - St. Helens Out of the Ash

[*]@ #2 Find the eerie antedating of 12/7/1941 vs 9/11/01

#1 A

https://youtu.be/DUY8aSx8-yo

#1 B

🌎 🏔 🌏 🗻 🌍 🌋
https://youtu.be/ajRuvYMk30E

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/superna ... -t543.html

Return to “Earth/ Weather/ Climate”