Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 02-11-2015 03:48 AM

So Much Snow, They May Have To Dump It In The Harbor
Boston's having a tough go of it. Full Story

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 02-11-2015 06:52 AM

I've heard that as an option, but I think it's being discounted because of the concerns about things other than snow in that there snowpile. Boston Harbor really has come a long way since the early 1990s.........

There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 02-11-2015 11:12 AM

New Jersey Police Crack Down on Teens for Illegal Snow Shoveling

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2015/02 ... shoveling/

Sounds like something Oregon would do! :coolhat:
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 02-12-2015 03:01 AM

Boston Transit Chief Quits Under Fire for Her Snow Job
Beverly Scott, GM of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority resigned Wednesday as critics all the way up to the governor of Massachusetts assailed her decision to shut down all rail service on Monday for more than 36 hours as crews labored to clear snow-buried tracks. FULL STORY

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 02-12-2015 06:53 AM

Oh, the "T" has been a disaster for a while now - which is too bad because in terms of railroad lore, it's an iconic rail line..........

Snippet:

History of the MBTA

The history of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority spans two centuries, starting with one of the oldest railroads in the US. Development of mass transportation both followed existing economic and population patterns, and helped shape those patterns.

Mass transit in Boston, Massachusetts was provided by private companies, often granted charters by the state legislature to create limited monopolies and granted effective powers of eminent domain to establish a right-of-way. With the creation of the MTA in 1947, government agencies started to take on transit services, consolidating many separate routes into a more-unified system.

Railroad era begins

The steam locomotive became practical for mass transportation in the 1810s, and came to the United States in the 1820s. The private Boston and Lowell Railroad was chartered in 1830, connecting Boston to Lowell, a major northerly mill town (which was also connected via the Middlesex Canal). It was one of the oldest railroads in North America and the first major one in Massachusetts. This route marked the beginning of the development of intercity railroads that eventually evolved into the MBTA Commuter Rail system and the Riverside Green Line "D" Branch. Origins of the various rail lines are listed below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_MBTA

Myself, I love trains. Like virtually everyone else living in the northeast, I've taken the T numerous times over the years. I also love going to and taking rides on other "touristy" types of railroads that use older abandoned lines and serve as a basic restaurant on wheels with moving scenery outside the window. My wife and I have been on the railfan trains on Cape Cod along the Cape Cod Canal, Connecticut with a switch to a riverboat on the Connecticut River and in New Hampshire through the White Mountains. These are nice scenic mini-vacations that are an alternative to the usual.......

But, the T is and has been plagued by financial issues for decades. Rates continue to climb and passengers don't see much inn terms of improvement. "The plan" is extend passenger rail service from Boston to SE Mass - as it was until the mid-1950s when passenger rail service was discontinued. The thought process was, having a rail alterative, people would be less inclined to hazard the bumper-to-bumper nightmare that is Rt. 24 and the SE Expressway/ Rt. 128. But then, if the T isn't working well, what's the point........
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 02-14-2015 07:56 PM

Kbot, I sure hope you and your family are alright. !

Snow Hurricane

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2 ... /23348961/
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 02-15-2015 11:15 AM

My wife tried to go to work this morning - against my better judgment. Normally, once you get n the highway, it's a ten minute trip from where we live into the city. About 45 minutes after leaving she called al shaken-up and said she was turning around and coming back home.

The bridges were open - usually they're closed during high wind conditions, but they were open..... so she tried heading in and came upon a tractor trailer that had jackknifed striking a guard rail. She called in and the nursesw ho live closer to the facility are staffing the place.

It's been crazy here. Snow's flying sideways, winds are whipping around. All the houses have icicles hanging from the roofs. At times I can kinda make out the houses across the street through the blowing snow. The meteorologists said that we'd bet getting somewhere between 8-012 inches after this system winds up, but it's hard to get for sure how much we're gotten already because of the drifting.

Took the girls out early this morning - headed out the back door in our sun room, and there was hardly any snow on the sidewalk at all. Just took them out again a little while ago and could barely push open the door.

More snow predicted Tuesday night into Wednesday. Till then, the temps are projected to drop into sub-zero air temperatures. My boss flew out of Logan in Boston to Pittsburgh last week because her father died. She was supposed to fly in today but form what I head last night, Logan was closed again.....

On the bright side, last night I made a Valentine's dinner for me and my wife - we had surf and turf: steak with Gorgonzola sauce, baked potatoes, fresh lobster, king crab legs, shrimp, quahogs, little necks, avocados and champagne. Still have leftovers........ Already have a fire burning. Gonna just hunker down.......

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 02-15-2015 01:02 PM

kbot - stay safe in all this and ahh do check roof IF possible. Heard more talking about roof collapses... not good.

---
In the meantime- snow storms seem to be hitting from central states to east coastal areas with a whollop....from as little as 2-4" on upward to 2 feet of snow....and winds.

Temps to drop to negatives below ZERO - at nights - more if any winds are blowing.

HOPE ALL stay safe in this severe cold..and don't forget to take care of any outside animals as well.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 02-15-2015 01:10 PM

Kbot , Good to know you are safe, is your wife home yet? Glad to have you checking in!

I found this:

http://www.weather.com/storms/winter/ne ... -northeast
KARMA RULES

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 02-15-2015 02:18 PM

My wife made it home OK. We crashed on the couch for a coupe of hours, and she just left to fill-in on the 3-11 shift (nurses..... :rolleyes:)
Hoping she won't end-up working a double because with her cardiac situation her doctor doesn't want her to work overnight shifts.

We've had a lull. Seems everyone in the neighborhood is out with snow throwers and shoveling. Thing is the snow thrower sends the snow airborne, and the winds sends it right back in your face. Found a dead robin in my yard - I think it was one I saw in a pine tree that I have in front of my house. Poor thing must've froze to death. We put some salt blocks out in the year after our second storm and I've been seeing deer tracks in the yard.

Well, guess I'll watch Vikings on demand tonight. Never saw any episode before this morning when my wife headed in to work the first time.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 02-15-2015 02:19 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: kbot - stay safe in all this and ahh do check roof IF possible. Heard more talking about roof collapses... not good.

---
In the meantime- snow storms seem to be hitting from central states to east coastal areas with a whollop....from as little as 2-4" on upward to 2 feet of snow....and winds.

Temps to drop to negatives below ZERO - at nights - more if any winds are blowing.

HOPE ALL stay safe in this severe cold..and don't forget to take care of any outside animals as well.

Tomorrow is supposed to be the worst for cold. I think that everyone's roof will need to be checked after this is all over and done with. Not much else to do at this point other than knock the icicles off where you can and keep the downspouts clear.....

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 02-15-2015 06:10 PM

" Found a dead robin in my yard - I think it was one I saw in a pine tree that I have in front of my house. Poor thing must've froze to death. "

That made me think of a story, a friend , raised in Georgia,told me. When he was a boy, and at grandma's house, they had a freeze and he and his little friend went out and picked up little frozen robin bodies and threw them in a sack, quite a few actually. Took them in the house, tossed them down, and promptly forgot about them. Untill..............Suddenly the house was full of "crazed" well thawed out robins. Grandma, was not amused. :coolhat:
KARMA RULES

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 02-15-2015 07:39 PM

Luckily I didn't bring the one I found inside........ :eek: My wife would kill me...

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 02-16-2015 01:57 AM

Doka wrote: " Found a dead robin in my yard - I think it was one I saw in a pine tree that I have in front of my house. Poor thing must've froze to death. "

That made me think of a story, a friend , raised in Georgia,told me. When he was a boy, and at grandma's house, they had a freeze and he and his little friend went out and picked up little frozen robin bodies and threw them in a sack, quite a few actually. Took them in the house, tossed them down, and promptly forgot about them. Untill..............Suddenly the house was full of "crazed" well thawed out robins. Grandma, was not amused. :coolhat:

This reminds me of a story I heard on CBC Radio about a woman who was having an afternoon nap and her cat kept jumping in the bedroom window to place birds on her bed. After she fully awoke she realized the cat was trying to look after the birds because they were all drunk from eating fermented fruit in her garden. Only in Canada.

:D
Last edited by Raggedyann on 02-16-2015 02:06 AM, edited 1 time in total.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 02-16-2015 07:42 PM

My wife and I took a drive around today. We had to pick-up her car at work because she didn't feel safe driving home from work last night. Just as well - the roads were icy and the tires on her car are better suited to driving in southern California or Arizona than around here.

The area's a mess with mounds of snow 6, 7, 8 feet and taller on almost all intersections. The harbor in Mount Hope Bay in nearby Fall River is freezing over as is New Bedford harbor. Both are deep water ports, and I can't recall Fall River's port icing over since I was a kid back in the 60s. An ice breaker is due to arrive in New Bedford to break-up the ice so that the fishing boats can get out before their hulls get crushed. A roof collapsed on a nearby Lowe's Home Improvement store.

Today was brutal with temps and wind chills below zero for the morning and then well into the afternoon.

More snow tonight (yay!!!!!)

Return to “Earth/ Weather/ Climate”