'Drive with your eyes' car unveiled

Leading edge technology. Nanobots, gen tech, zero gravity?

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

'Drive with your eyes' car unveiled

Post by Riddick » 11-03-2011 06:01 PM

Amazing new car technology that allows a driver to steer just by looking in a certain direction has been developed. The Chrysler Voyager-based Spirit of Berlin could bring new meaning to the hands-free kit on your next car.

Developed by professor Raul Rojas of the Free University of Berlin, the eyeDriver technology uses a combination of groundbreaking software and cameras. The system works using two cameras, one pointing out towards the road and the other pointing at one of the driver's eyes to record the movement.

It's still a step away from full mind control though, as the brakes and accelerator remain separate.

The eyeDriver has two modes: free ride and routing. In free ride mode, the steering wheel is linked directly to eye movement, turning when the driver looks a certain way. In routing mode the car steers itself, but it requires input from the driver at junctions.

The development is part of wider research by Professor Rojas and his team on autonomous vehicles - cars that effectively drive themselves. Their aim is to: 'Make a significant contribution to the development of accident-free, efficient and environmentally friendly mobility.'

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/12052010/36/dr ... led-0.html

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 11-05-2011 01:03 AM

That might not be a good idea.....

What if some guy is driving down the road and he drives past a sexy lady and his eyes quickly vear directly left Image

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 11-05-2011 12:42 PM

Heck with navigation, I'm still mad about the new sound system I have in my Silverado truck.

It's a hands free system that works with Onstar. I simply say a command, and the radio plays what I want. I say "seventies" and I get Chicago, Earth Wind & Fire, and other bands from that decade. I say "beatles" and I get all Beatles songs. I say "crying country" and I get Hank Williams, Loretta Lynn, and other sad songs. But I really HATE this system. It's too literal.

I was driving down I-75 and some jerk in a Camero flew around my left side, and then did an abrupt lane change in front of me, forcing me to stomp the brake. "A__hole!" I yelled. Suddenly the radio stopped playing "September" by EWF, and one of Obama's speeches came on. Never heard the end of the song.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 11-07-2011 12:06 PM

voguy wrote: Heck with navigation, I'm still mad about the new sound system I have in my Silverado truck.

It's a hands free system that works with Onstar. I simply say a command, and the radio plays what I want. I say "seventies" and I get Chicago, Earth Wind & Fire, and other bands from that decade. I say "beatles" and I get all Beatles songs. I say "crying country" and I get Hank Williams, Loretta Lynn, and other sad songs. But I really HATE this system. It's too literal.

I was driving down I-75 and some jerk in a Camero flew around my left side, and then did an abrupt lane change in front of me, forcing me to stomp the brake. "A__hole!" I yelled. Suddenly the radio stopped playing "September" by EWF, and one of Obama's speeches came on. Never heard the end of the song.

heehee nice

Return to “Technology”