Joe Quinn

FF Community posts

Moderator: Super Moderators

Swerdloc
Pirate

Joe Quinn

Post by Swerdloc » 08-22-2010 11:49 AM

It is with great sadness that I must report the death of Joe Quinn on 30 July 2010.

I learned this from Joe’s good friend, Briant Nierstedt, who posted a message on Joe’s Facebook page. Joe had been planning to move to the Northwest for some time, and had made final preparations to do so. He was driving west, checking in daily with Briant, who last heard from him in a call from Spokane, Washington, when Joe reported that he felt unwell and thought he had eaten some bad Chinese food. Briant knew that Joe suffered from asthma, and urged Joe to go to the hospital. He didn’t hear back, until he got a call a couple of days later from Washington; Joe had been found dead in his car of an apparent heart attack.

Briant thinks there was an autopsy, but is unsure of whether he will get the results, and is still waiting for some information; and there are apparently touchy family issues to complicate things. He and Joe had known each other for many years and shared an interest in the paranormal, UFOs, and other related topics, and he was aware of Joe’s longtime presence on the Forum. Briant and his family live in Portland, Oregon, and Joe was planning to stay with them for a while until he found a place to live.

If I hear any more from Briant, I will pass it along; and he encourages any of Joe’s friends to contact him at [email protected].

Joe Quinn made a profound contribution to the Fantastic Forum since its beginning, and one cannot calculate his loss. May he find peace, glory, and happiness now.
Last edited by Swerdloc on 08-22-2010 12:27 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Anchors Aweigh

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 08-22-2010 12:02 PM

Huge loss. I'll miss Joe.:(
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 08-22-2010 12:06 PM

I am completely without words right now. This is such a tragic loss, I can't describe how I feel, my tears just wont stop. May he find peace on this final journey. :(

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 08-22-2010 12:25 PM

I know Joe wasn't an Eskimo but I immediately thought of this:

The Mighty Quinn
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 08-22-2010 12:32 PM

This saddens me so much, I was in close touch with Joe on the phone, we spoke once or twice a month, the last time I called him his phone was disconnected but I thought nothing of it as I know he had left for the West Coast. He was a good friend and I will miss him so much.. Rest in peace my dear friend.

Love
Shirley

racehorse
Pirate

Re: Joe Quinn

Post by racehorse » 08-22-2010 12:34 PM

Swerdloc wrote: It is with great sadness that I must report the death of Joe Quinn on 30 July 2010. . . .

Joe Quinn made a profound contribution to the Fantastic Forum since its beginning, and one cannot calculate his loss. May he find peace, glory, and happiness now.

:( :( :(

I am genuinely very sad to learn of this news. While I did not agree with Joe on very many political issues (although on other areas I believe we both eventually came to realize and appreciate that we shared much common ground), I knew he was a sincere person who wanted what he believed to be for the good of people everywhere. Joe had a remarkable mind and was a true intellectual in every way. His interest and natural curiosity in a variety of topics ranging from the paranormal to religion was unsurpassed on the Fantastic Forum . He contributed much to this ship and the impact of his loss will be greatly felt upon it.

Joe, I know you will find great Peace now and answers to the questions that intrigued you throughout your lifetime.

Your loss will be felt by us all and you will definitely be missed much more than you ever suspected.
racehorse

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 08-22-2010 12:41 PM

No words. Devastated.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 08-22-2010 12:41 PM

Oh no. :( :( :(

I. Am. Speechless.

RIP JoeQuinn.

I'm going to be spending a lot of time in the archives...
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 08-22-2010 12:47 PM

This seem unreal. There will be a huge void in the Forum without him. :(
It's either real or it's a dream, There's nothing that is in between. ~ Jeff Lynne

HB3

Post by HB3 » 08-22-2010 12:50 PM

I was wondering where he was!

Poor Joe. He was a great guy. Mercurial, emotionally connected, and intellectually alive.

RIP.

Bellisima
Pirate

Post by Bellisima » 08-22-2010 02:37 PM

This hurts far too much to write about. All I can say is that I will never forget you, Joe, and I will always love you.

Walt Whitman (1819–1892). Leaves of Grass. 1900.
O Captain! My Captain!

O CAPTAIN! my Captain! our fearful trip is done;
The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won;
The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring:

But O heart! heart! heart!
O the bleeding drops of red,
Where on the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead.

O Captain! my Captain! rise up and hear the bells;
Rise up—for you the flag is flung—for you the bugle trills;
For you bouquets and ribbon’d wreaths—for you the shores a-crowding;
For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning;

Here Captain! dear father!
This arm beneath your head;
It is some dream that on the deck,
You’ve fallen cold and dead.

My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still;
My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will;
The ship is anchor’d safe and sound, its voyage closed and done;
From fearful trip, the victor ship, comes in with object won;

Exult, O shores, and ring, O bells!
But I, with mournful tread,
Walk the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead.
ImageA silent mouth is sweet to hear.
Irish saying

goodfello
Pirate

Post by goodfello » 08-22-2010 02:52 PM

I will ALWAYS remember Joe on St Patrick’s Day. I really enjoyed reading his livacious and sometimes provocative posts. God bless you Joe, and may you rest in peace!I will really miss you here in the forum. I promise I will hoist one for you this next March.

Rest in peace friend

Bill C
Be well!

goodfello
Pirate

Re: Re: Joe Quinn

Post by goodfello » 08-22-2010 02:56 PM

racehorse wrote: :( :( :(

I am genuinely very sad to learn of this news. While I did not agree with Joe on very many political issues (although on other areas I believe we both eventually came to realize and appreciate that we shared much common ground), I knew he was a sincere person who wanted what he believed to be for the good of people everywhere. Joe had a remarkable mind and was a true intellectual in every way. His interest and natural curiosity in a variety of topics ranging from the paranormal to religion was unsurpassed on the Fantastic Forum . He contributed much to this ship and the impact of his loss will be greatly felt upon it.

Joe, I know you will find great Peace now and answers to the questions that intrigued you throughout your lifetime.

Your loss will be felt by us all and you will definitely be missed much more than you ever suspected.

Race I really like what you said about ole Joe and I have to agree with you. I am very sure that now he is finding all his answers. You could not have said it any better. Thanks for your post.

Bill C
Be well!

rumike
Pirate

Post by rumike » 08-22-2010 03:19 PM

Joe's posts were the first I remember reading, many years before I registered. His contributions were easily among the most thought-provoking in the forum. I admired his sincerity, taste in literature, and gift for words. Rest in peace.
Anchors Aweigh!

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 08-22-2010 03:34 PM

I am speechless and in tears.

An Irish Funeral Prayer
Death is nothing at all.
It does not count.
I have only slipped away into the next room.
Everything remains as it was.
The old life that we lived so fondly together is untouched, unchanged.
Whatever we were to each other, that we are still.
Call me by the old familiar name.
Speak of me in the easy way which you always used.
Put no sorrow in your tone.
Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes that we enjoyed together.
Play, smile, think of me, pray for me.
Let my name be ever the household word that it always was.
Let it be spoken without effort
Life means all that it ever meant. It is the same as it ever was.
There is unbroken continuity.
Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight?
I am but waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near, just around the corner.
All is well. Nothing is hurt; nothing is lost.
One brief moment and all will be as it was before.
How we shall laugh at the trouble of parting, when we meet again.

Amen, dear friend.:(
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

Return to “Ship's Galley ~ Fantastic Forum Community”