Fantastic Forum Set Team

Moderator: Super Moderators

Tracker3
Pirate

Post by Tracker3 » 11-14-2003 12:11 PM

Hey Markus...don't take it personally...it's just a slow thread right now is all...most of us lurk from time to time but we still read the posts...
oSSSS}--Tracker-3--------

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-14-2003 01:10 PM

Tracker3 - you are to be commended for your generosity and tremendous contribution to the Seti project. Very proud indeed to have you as a member of the Fantastic Forum Seti Team! Three Cheers!

There will be many more opportunities and challenges ahead with the Boinc project as well. Maybe someone on the FF team who is technically oriented and computer saavy will be able to puruse the links that Mark gave us above here - and research how the Boinc will effect us - and the best way to sync with it. Really need someone on the team to help get information out to us and help us transition. Any takers?

Where are ya Bill Morgan? Embustero? Megman? Ben? Robin? Jaf? Maybe it's time for an email message to go out into the cyberverse - to make contact with our crew.

btw - TAB, we love you guys! Just that we Pirate crunchers are even further 'out there' than Art Bell! We came upon this game waaay to far out to worry and fret about team standings. We do our own thing, and who knows - may be the 'first with the Signal'! Ya never know.
Last edited by Linnea on 11-14-2003 01:15 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Tracker3
Pirate

Post by Tracker3 » 11-14-2003 02:04 PM

Thank you Linnea that was very complimentary. I very much appreciate being apart of this group and am very glad to be involved here. I have Doug to thank for that since he recruited me when I first joined SETI@home.

Whether you have one computer or thirty it only takes one WU with the right signal. All efforts are a gargantuan leap for mankind so keep up the good work guys.

Linnea

Seti WU Cruncher

Post by Linnea » 11-14-2003 04:05 PM

Here's a pic of my seti WU cruncher...

Tracker3
Pirate

Post by Tracker3 » 11-14-2003 05:38 PM

Interesting that you've modded your PC. I am modding my kids PC's right now. Looks awesome. The entirely acrylic tower is quite impressive. So far my modest approach to theirs is a plexiglass window on the side with neon fans and ultra high intensity UV led's to activate the uv reactive cables. I made my own UV led light boards from leftover stock led's I've had for a year originally used to make uv led flashlights and lamps for rock collecting trips. I have probably seared my retinas already. No need to worry though, I have applied UV limiting clear application on the window. A requirement my wife insisted on as the high intensity uv led's can damage your eyes. Thank goodness for my wife's balanced approach as sometimes my enthusiasm detracts from sensibilities. I like the uv reactive cables and ties and such. Talk about crunching with equal style and personality. My mod's aren't anything to look at in comparison so I'll save the embarrasing photos until my budget improves...LOL!

May I recommend bubble lights? They always fascinated me as a kid on Christmas trees...I am going that route as soon as I get some time and dough on my hands. Bravo Linnea!

MarkusGarvey
Pirate

Post by MarkusGarvey » 11-14-2003 11:46 PM

Tracker3 wrote: Hey Markus...don't take it personally...it's just a slow thread right now is all...most of us lurk from time to time but we still read the posts...
no problem, my point is that it seems to benefit us all to unite. it just seeems silly to me { and others on TAB} that we have 2 teams. i realize that the reason we all contribute to seti@home is not to be the #1 team, but it does help {at least for me} to have the competition aspect involved too. ...keeps things interesting. thanks for responding!!.....ONE LOVE......Markus

Jeffery
Pirate

Re: Seti WU Cruncher

Post by Jeffery » 11-15-2003 12:17 AM

Linnea wrote: Here's a pic of my seti WU cruncher...

COOL
:eek: Jeffery :)

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 11-15-2003 02:36 AM

Very cool cruncher, Linnea:D I love it!

Tracker, yours sounds like a very cool machine too! I'd love to see it if you can afford us a glimpse!

Mark

Tracker3
Pirate

Post by Tracker3 » 11-15-2003 09:56 PM

Thanks Tab. I will get shots of my Kids pc's on Christmas day because that is when I plan to unviel them to my little rascals all properly decked out. Like I said before though it really isn't anything to look in comparison to Linnea's. But if you would want to consider adding some inexpensive mods to your PC take a look at a couple of deals I have found here:

Like this one a uv led fan for 6.50 and free ship and handling.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=42002

His other items are a little more pricey and I haven't bought anything else but the fans from him so I couldn't recommend anything else personnally.

I am not associated with this fellow other than have bought some of his fans. Pretty cheap but nice product for the money in comparison to others. Some neon blue red and green ones he has for 5.99 w/ free ship and handling.

I am still researching the best prices on the bigger items but if I run into any more I'll post them here if no one has an objection. As soon as I burn in the 12" UV Cold Cathode kit I got for 11.99 from another fellow I'll post his link as well after some time if he is still offering them. I am afraid of recommending the kit until I have gotten more burn in time on it. LED's usually don't burn out any less than 10k hours of full use. Heck I haven't ever seen an LED burn out in seven years so I would say they are pretty long lasting.

Anyways, it's good to see some action in here. Been slow for a while.

Markus, I do understand your point about the 2 teams thing but I get the feeling that the rest of the team that hasn't already jumped shipped to Art Bell are most likely purists and loyal to this nitch group. We are a tight knit bunch here. As for my reasons personally. I am just getting to know many of you here and I am still more comfortable here on this team than any where else. Maybe if the majority wishes to jump on over I would too but until then I am still in the zone here. Nothing personal as I am sure that is the case with the rest of us. Keep on posting though and keep us up to date and informed as I personnally appreciate the info you guys drop here.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-15-2003 11:09 PM

Thanks for the interest in the new pc. The lights and acrylic case are pretty neat. It was a gift and I had wanted one when I first saw them on the internet. Lucky me! :) Seems to work okay as well. I guess it is a real chore to open up that case though. Have to exercise care in not scratching the lucite, and there are no pop off panels for easy access, etc... The case and components were purchased separately, and took quite a while to be assembled. Lots cheaper that way though. Case, fans, cables, hard drive, board and processor - came to around $550. Already had the drives, modem and LAN adapter. Can't remember if it has the Pentium 4, or the Athlon 1.2 gig. Runs faster than the old pc, much.
Last edited by Linnea on 11-15-2003 11:13 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-15-2003 11:16 PM

btw - anyone notice the WUs we are getting now are processing so much faster? I wonder if it is just the faster processor on this pc, or - if seti @home is sending out smaller files..? Anyone notice this? I am still running the 3.03 cmdline version.

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 11-16-2003 01:02 AM

Tracker, I just bought 1 of those UV case fans under your recommendation! Thanks for telling us about them and for the link.

Linnea, I'm not sure if the SETI@home wu's are processing faster since I've been beta-testing on all machines for BOINC lately. Maybe someone else here is noticing a slight difference.

:)

Tracker3
Pirate

Post by Tracker3 » 11-16-2003 10:27 AM

Tab the uv light isn't very bright visibly but depending on if you have uv sensitive materials in the case it does a nice job of lighting up those materials when in a 6" proximity to it. However the cold cathode florescent light kits really do a bang up job on visibility and distance for the uv reactivity. An even better selection is the high intensity UV led's but there again you would need to be careful as those can burn your retinas and I don't recommend them without some sort of UV protection in place to minimize the reflected uv rays. That guy also has an awesome neon blue led fan for 5.99 and free ship and handling.

I opened up the power supply and put one of his red ones in it. It wasn't that bright but it is cool to see red light coming out the back of the power supply.

Here's a link to the blue fan:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... egory=3673

UV sensetive round cables best price is ~ $13 after ship and handling for 3 cables 2 ide and 1 floppy kit here. Blue green red and yellow glow near uv light: I have also bought individual cables from this guy and they arn't extremely bright glow without high intensity led's or very low external light. Still cool though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3441321400

Well as I finish purchasing mods I'll post what else I have bought if they are worth it.

*** Linnea, I haven't been able to use seti team to see if my units are going any faster or not. Does anybody know what is going on with that program? It doesn't seem to be pulling down any team stats from seti now. Is there any good replacement for it that you can recommend if it is no longer functional? ***

Doug
Pirate

Post by Doug » 11-16-2003 03:54 PM

Tracker3 wrote: *** Linnea, I haven't been able to use seti team to see if my units are going any faster or not. Does anybody know what is going on with that program? It doesn't seem to be pulling down any team stats from seti now. Is there any good replacement for it that you can recommend if it is no longer functional? ***

Tracker - SetiTEAM is still functional, and here's what you need to do to get it working (Thanks to Mark!) ;)

Launch SetiTEAM, right-click anywhere in the application window to pull up the Options Menu, Select "Internet Settings". Now change the Seti@home server line to read:

setiathome.berkeley.edu/fcgi-bin/fcgi

Click "OK", then close SetiTEAM, and re-launch it. It should be fine after this... let me know. :)
Last edited by Doug on 11-16-2003 03:56 PM, edited 1 time in total.
ï'm ®ïgh‡ ߀hïÑÐ ¥Øµ!
~Doug~

Tracker3
Pirate

Post by Tracker3 » 11-16-2003 06:10 PM

Doug that did the trick my seti team is now good to go. Thanks Doug. Oh and thanks Mark as well.

Return to “FANTASTIC FORUM ~ SETi Team”