Ham Radio Answers

Ham Radio/SW DXing. Get involved! Let's take back America's Radio Waves! What's going on in ham radio in America...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
Posts: 17
Joined: 05-17-2003 12:36 AM

Ham Radio Answers

Post by dieselguy » 05-22-2003 02:02 AM

Hey guys,

Looking for some answers to ham radio. If I get the easy license (the one without morse code testing), can I talk to people on the air? Like art? Linnea? Could I also buy equipment that would allow me to transmit, or I'm better off buying a pocket radio? I want to know the legalties/equipment decisions I should make before jumping in. Can music be broadcasted?

dieselguy AKA edselman or danebruce is back!!!

Posts: 73
Joined: 05-14-2000 02:00 AM

Post by Hitchhiker » 05-22-2003 08:18 AM

Yes. No. Yes. Yes. No. No.
To recap: Art stays mainly on the extra bands, so you'll need an advanced class license to talk to him. Start off with the tech license; see if you like it before you make a big investment in equipment. You can get a 2-meter HT for less than $100; that will let you get your feet wet. When you say pocket, I'm assuming you mean shortwave. Trust me, you'll be dissatisfied with that. Learn a little about different types of radios before you buy.
No, you can't broadcast music on the amateur bands, at least not legally.

Post Reply

Return to “Ham Radio/DXing”