Post Positive Katrina News Here

National news scene

Moderator: Super Moderators

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post Positive Katrina News Here

Post by Shirleypal » 09-06-2005 11:27 PM

Would love to see postive news posted here, there are thousands of great stories out there.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 09-06-2005 11:36 PM

KATRINA'S AFTERMATH: Metro kids aid the relief task
BY KATHLEEN GRAY
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

September 5, 2005

Eight-year-old Jamie Shapiro kept seeing the images of stranded kids in New Orleans, left only with the clothes on their backs, and knew she had to do something.

HOW YOU CAN HELP
Jamie is continuing to collect for gift cards and asks anyone who wants to donate to buy one from either Wal-Mart, Target or Toys "R" Us and send it to:

Hurricane Katrina Toy Donation
c/o Jamie Shapiro
5942 King James Lane
Waterford 48327

To help the kids in the hurricane-ravaged Gulf Coast, the Waterford girl said she thought about replicating a practice she'd been doing for years. Every year, Jamie has counted up the presents she received for her birthday and donated the same number of toys to charitable organizations.

She knew she didn't have enough toys to help all the kids left stranded by Hurricane Katrina, but she had a better idea: With the help of her mom, Phyllis Shapiro, Jamie set off to collect money and gift cards from anyone she could find.

She plans to send those gift cards to the kids who were shuttled from New Orleans to the Astrodome in Houston.

Jamie's plan is just one of many acts of kindness and generosity being undertaken by kids and adults across metro Detroit. From selling lemonade at stands like the one started by Amanda and Jenna Stapula of Commerce Township that raised more than $700 to selling cookies on a street in Clarkston, residents are kicking in with cash and time for the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

With a donation of $500 from her grandfather Thursday, Jamie was off. She has collected $475 more in cash and gift cards by going door-to-door in her neighborhood and putting up signs in businesses.

She has already sent 65 gift cards to the Katy Chamber of Commerce, about 28 miles from the Astrodome.

"Ay-yi-yi. I saw all the floods and the houses under water," Jamie said Sunday. "I wanted to help all the kids because they don't have any toys left, and I figured they might be bored. They might want to have something that reminds them of home."

Helping Jamie with her plan is the Katy Chamber of Commerce in Texas, which agreed to act as a liaison for the gift cards from Wal-Mart, Target and Toys "R" Us.

"We're just trying to coordinate and send things in," Kathie Gerritzen of the chamber said Sunday. "We've got a whole team of people accepting donations today."

Katy is hosting 1,500 evacuees who are either living with families, in a YMCA camp or in the shelters operating in the city, Gerritzen said.

The city has been overwhelmed with offers of help.

The stories coming out of New Orleans made Amanda and Jenna Stapula, 19- and 12-year-old sisters, remember a lemonade stand that someone started after last year's tsunami. They set up their stand along Union Lake Road in Commerce Township on Thursday and Friday. They plan to donate their collection to the American Red Cross today.

"A lot of people didn't want lemonade. They just wanted to donate," Amanda Stapula said. "A friend of my mom gave us $100."

In Canton, six kids in the Cherry Hill Village subdivision -- Kacie Burns, 11; Francesca, 12, Isaac, 9, and Dean Vessey, 8; and Aubrie, 10, and Alivia Cragg, 7 -- spent two days selling Kool-Aid, lemonade, brownies, cookies and cupcakes. By Sunday evening, they had raised $450. One of their dads said he'll match the final tally.

"They're hoping to give $1,000 to the Red Cross," said Kacie's mom, Rose Burns.

Contact KATHLEEN GRAY at 313-223-4407 or [email protected].

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 09-07-2005 10:24 AM

Students Displaced By Katrina Enroll In Local Schools
Governor Says She Expects FEMA To Reimburse State

POSTED: 10:56 am EDT September 7, 2005

STERLING HEIGHTS, Mich. -- Tyrienisha Smith opened her new Sponge Bob backpack and pulled out her school supplies one by one.

The 10-year-old laid folders and loose-leaf paper on the floor. She held up two boxes of crayons, colored pencils, a purple ruler, glue and scissors.

Finally, she placed pens and pencils in a pink pencil box.

She's ready for fifth grade.

But Tyrienisha won't be going back to her own school.

She's one of the young Hurricane Katrina victims from New Orleans getting ready to start school in Michigan. Her parents say her school probably is under water along with most of the city.

"I'm excited for going back to school," she said.

But there is one thing that makes her sad: "I really miss my friends."

Tyrienisha and several other youngsters registered for school Tuesday in a conference room at the Best Western Sterling Inn, the suburban Detroit hotel that took their families in when they arrived last week.

Warren Consolidated School District officials gave them supplies, found slots for them in classrooms and arranged for busing and free or reduced-price lunches. They start class Wednesday.

Tyrienisha said she also has new school clothes.

She showed off silver sneakers with a pink Nike Swoosh.

"These are the shoes I'm gonna be wearing to school," she said.

Her father, Sterling Adams, said he's pleased to see Tyrienisha and his three other children heading back to school.

"As long as they're getting their education, it doesn't matter where they're at," he said. "We could be in Timbuktu as long as they're in school."

The additional students shouldn't put a strain on the Warren Consolidated district, but that could change as more evacuees enter the state, said Dr. William Kiefer, the district's associate superintendent of administrative services.

He said the district of 15,400 students could accept 200 to 300 new students without having to hire additional teachers.

He said state aid will provide funding for any new students. However, districts across the state could see an impact if there is a large influx of new students, Kiefer said.

Such an increase could mean that the amount each district receives per pupil could go down slightly, Kiefer said, perhaps by $10 or $15 per student if the state gets the 10,000 evacuees it is equipped to take.

"But it's a small price to pay I think," he said. "This is a national emergency. I can't imagine not doing everything we can."

Gov. Jennifer Granholm has said she expects the Federal Emergency Management Agency to reimburse the state for any bills relating to evacuees, including education costs.

Sabrina Washington's three children will be heading back to school with the Smiths.

"I have no concerns," she said. "I know everything is going to be all right. We've been blessed this far. I know the blessings are not going to stop."

Her son, Brandon, 11, will start fifth grade.

He said he's excited about "having fun and learning" but a little nervous about meeting new teachers.

His sister, Breiana, 8, starts third grade.

"I'll be kind of nervous," she said. "Because I don't know any people and I'm gonna have to start a new school."

Her mother reminded her that she did fine when she started a new school last year in New Orleans.

"But I was kind of shy," Breiana said.

Ten students were registered at the hotel and at least 12 other students staying in local homes will likely to be registered in the Warren Consolidated district, said Dr. Art Vrettas, the school district's director of student services and community relations.

Kiefer said the district also is trying to help parents find work, perhaps as bus drivers.

Kathleen Kropf, the Homeless Education Liaison for the countywide Macomb Intermediate School District said at least two other county districts will be registering Hurricane Katrina evacuees.

Her office will help place them in schools, equip them with clothes and supplies and provide referrals to link families to other needed services such as health care.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 09-07-2005 10:30 AM

Michael Jackson Plans Song To Benefit Katrina Victims

POSTED: 7:36 pm EDT September 6, 2005

NEW YORK -- Michael Jackson has written a song to help raise funds for the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Jackson's spokeswoman said he will ask other musicians to join him in recording the song, tentatively titled, "From the Bottom of My Heart."

The pop star hopes to record it within two weeks in the style of "We Are the World," which he co-wrote and produced in 1985 to raise money for famine relief efforts in Africa.

Jackson, who has been mostly reclusive since he was acquitted of child molestation charges in June, has been spending much of his time in Bahrain. He's been the guest of Sheik Abdulla bin Hamad Al Khalifa, whose label, Two Seas Records, will produce the single.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 09-07-2005 11:22 AM

TRYING to find a news article to link to - but one of the inner page stories of small local - not on line school paper.

Fifth grade project at local Cass county school - gather school supplies and toys which will be sent out Thurs to one of the refugee centers in TX.

Local scout group went door to door gathering canned goods and cash to send for people and animals.

Heart to Heart was gathering personal items: soaps, shaving stuff, toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo & conditioners -- etc. and sent a 16wheeler loaded. To be split between two TX shelters. Truck left Tues afternoon.

Cpt Spike Mike
Joint Chief

Post by Cpt Spike Mike » 09-09-2005 12:46 AM

1OO,OOO items of clothing siezed by Customs in the port of Houston were donated to the displaced New Orelanians in the Astrodome.

An 83-year-old woman was rescued out of her flooded home in Placiman's Parrish. She was ate up with arthritis and ahd a hard time getting around. A rescuer sat her on the bed of a pick-up truck and gave her a bottle of water, whish she swigged like a redneck on the evening's first longneck. A reporter asked her, "how does that water taste?" She replied, "oh, it tastes just like ice cream." :)

And seen finger-painted on two closed, metal doors in New Orleans, two days after Katrina passed through;

DON'T TRY
I'M SLEEPING INSIDE
WITH A LARGE DOG
AN UGLY WOMAN
TWO LOADED SHOTGUNS
AND A CLAW HAMMER

:D

Return to “National”