Some broken rigging.

Seti Team Art Bell

Moderator: Super Moderators

Mr Abstact
Pirate

Some broken rigging.

Post by Mr Abstact » 01-25-2006 05:31 PM

I can't seam to get a drawing to compress to fit the attached files. So in the spirit of sharing in a form of a question I'm going to describe it and let some one ells post. Maybe some one ells can ad to its accuracy.
I've only ever used it for explaining why I think something is going to happen about 2012. What it is, is a simple graft. With horizontal lines depicted as centuries. On a peace of paper across its length about a inch and a half wide traveling up and down across its width. Marked on the bottom with the dates. The graft starts traveling really flat and low to the bottom at 1300 A.D It starts a radical turn upward. And as it progresses thou time it turns more and more and more upward. Until about 2012 were it points strait up. I don't know were it ends but I do know it starts with the lever.

I have never bean able to figure out how to draw it so it will show the leaning curve beyond say 2020 with out using a roll of paper a mille long. How would this be accomplished?

I think it is a perfect way to depict Arts quickening.

dotcosm
Pirate

Post by dotcosm » 01-25-2006 07:56 PM

I'm not really sure what you're describing, but I'd suggest you use log scale, where each increment is a ten-fold increase. That's the best way to show exponential increase in something (without having to use a mile of paper).

Mr Abstact
Pirate

Graft

Post by Mr Abstact » 01-26-2006 02:41 AM

There’s some of it missing. But its good enough to give some one an idea of were to start in making it more complete.

It needs a better depiction of why, and what each incident did to the curve.
Last edited by Mr Abstact on 01-26-2006 02:52 AM, edited 1 time in total.

dotcosm
Pirate

Post by dotcosm » 01-26-2006 01:10 PM

What is the y-axis of this graph measuring? What are the values?

This is typical log growth, with the lag phase being the flat part of the curve and the sharp upturn the log phase growth.

An example of a log scale is the Richter scale used for earthquakes, where each increment indicates a 10-fold increase.

Mr Abstact
Pirate

Post by Mr Abstact » 01-26-2006 06:27 PM

dotcosm wrote: What is the y-axis of this graph measuring? What are the values?

This is typical log growth, with the lag phase being the flat part of the curve and the sharp upturn the log phase growth.

An example of a log scale is the Richter scale used for earthquakes, where each increment indicates a 10-fold increase.

Some one ones tried to explain that to me but fell short.. And I’m not sure of the values its just some thing I've always seen in my head. And a graft was just the best way to depict it, so I could show it. Instead of the long winded and uneducated guess of a explanation.

What I've lost here is the thread by complicating things with the wrong question. Its a question I really wanted a answer to, but it underscored the wrong point. And that point being using only this dimension getting to the next century would take a peace of paper that would require every tree on earth.

By giving it complicated values that not many are going to grasp. Little loan perceive the meaning of a expeditious spike, and the effect it would have on the human condition.

With the curve I see, if its not the end. In say 20 years, anything you’ve seen on Star trek could be possible,

dotcosm
Pirate

Post by dotcosm » 01-26-2006 07:43 PM

Mr Abstact wrote: By giving it complicated values that not many are going to grasp. Little loan perceive the meaning of a expeditious spike, and the effect it would have on the human condition.
Well but what is the graph trying to show, that's what I'm asking. I can see that as you move along from left to right, you are increasing in time, so the x-axis measures time (years). But what is the y-axis, the one that goes up and down, what is that measuring? Human knowledge? Computing power? Population on earth?

The logarithmic scale is used in just such cases to be able to show large changes on one piece of paper, as you describe.

I'm interested in the point you're trying to make, I just need to know what it *is* that is increasing (besides the years)?

Mr Abstact
Pirate

Post by Mr Abstact » 01-26-2006 08:26 PM

dotcosm wrote: Well but what is the graph trying to show, that's what I'm asking. I can see that as you move along from left to right, you are increasing in time, so the x-axis measures time (years). But what is the y-axis, the one that goes up and down, what is that measuring? Human knowledge? Computing power? Population on earth?

The logarithmic scale is used in just such cases to be able to show large changes on one piece of paper, as you describe.

I'm interested in the point you're trying to make, I just need to know what it *is* that is increasing (besides the years)?

If I said every thing that would be to broad. So let me describe it as mans ability to extrapolate.

When alls there was, was a lever we could think of how to move a rock. Or open a clam. And I'm not sure how to give a value to a computer when weighed against it. The same goes for gun powder or the first world war. Each would have there own. Each also has a multiplying affect on later dates. Were the y-axis louses its ability to be observed as an explanation for the hole, the log scale would have to be divided into infinity in less than 20 years. Maybe more maybe less alls I know is what I see.

Return to “Team Art Bell”