Homeopathy not effective for treating any condition

Plants, animals, botanicals, crystals, eco-systems. Wonders of Ga'ia

Moderator: Super Moderators

Fan
Lady with a

Homeopathy not effective for treating any condition

Post by Fan » 03-11-2015 03:03 PM

I wonder what you all think of this... along with the revelations that most herbal substances sold in stores are completely devoid of the substance they say is in it (like St. John's Wart has no actual plant matter in it, just filler), since it is basically unregulated.

Is there a place for homeopathy anymore?

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... port-finds
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 03-11-2015 04:07 PM

As I understand it, homeopathy is quite different from herbalism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy

Homeopathy is described as a theory of medicine "... whereby a substance that causes the symptoms of a disease in healthy people will cure similar symptoms in sick people." A "hair of the dog that bit you approach", if you will.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbalism

While herbalism is generally thought of as "...use of plants for medicinal purposes, and the study of such use. "

Personally, I have no experience with homeopathy. It sounds strange to me, but a respected friend of mine (and a fellow Pirate, here, at the FF) has been very supportive of the practice in the past.

Herbalism makes absolute sense to me. All medicines, even "advanced" western medicines are derived from plants, metals, and minerals. Aspirin, for instance, is nothing more than a willow bark extract. So yes, I believe that many medicines can be derived from the plants we find around us.

Of course, the global conglomerate that wants to capture the market on pain relief has a thoroughly vested interest in hiding this fact from you, and then selling you a pill that it has manufactured. That same organization will even go as far as to smear the reputations of those who mention the "alternative" remedies. Much of the pharmaceutical industry (and the food industry, and many others) are dependent on rabid and ceaseless propaganda campaigns. I would not be surprised to find the wartless varieties of St. John's Wart being produced by a non-obvious subsidiary of a major drug manufacturer. It's a win-win.

That brings up the point of poor quality herbal supplements. They are out there. Whenever any manufacturing process begins to scale beyond the "craft" stage, product quality necessarily falls off very quickly.

So, the solution (to the extent that one exists, imho) is to buy from the smallest primary source you can establish, or grow your own plants from "heirloom" seed stock. I plan vacations around places I can gather stuff.
Last edited by SquidInk on 03-11-2015 04:36 PM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 03-11-2015 04:47 PM

I have had a skin condition for years and traditional medicine has been expensive and useless. My daughter called yesterday to let me know that her friend has been using coconut oil for the same condition and she has had great success. I rushed out last night and bought some. I've used a few natural remedies without success. I am keeping my fingers crossed this one works. :)
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 03-11-2015 04:56 PM

Squid you are totally right, it is very weird but here we refer to any natural non-pharma medicine as homeopathic. I think it is the french influence on language maybe, but as you say, that term is totally wrong for what is really herbalism, which was how I read the article.

I have quite a garden of helpful herbs growing under lights right now. I just wonder if the mainstream of it can survive, or will it end up being like witchcraft.

As for the fake herbs in supplements check this out "The retailer with the poorest showing was Walmart, where only 4 percent of the products tested showed DNA from the plants listed on the labels." http://www.cbsnews.com/news/herbal-supp ... y-general/

However, the others did almost no better. Look at the results at the bottom of that article.

ie:
Six "Finest Nutrition" brand herbal supplements per store were purchased and analyzed: Gingko Biloba, St. John's Wort, Ginseng, Garlic, Echinacea, and Saw Palmetto. Purchased from three locations with representative stores in Brooklyn, Rochester and Watertown.

Only one supplement consistently tested for its labeled contents: Saw Palmetto. The remaining five supplements yielded mixed results, with one sample of garlic showing appropriate DNA. The other bottles yielded no DNA from the labeled herb.

Of the 90 DNA test run on 18 bottles of herbal products purchased, DNA matched label representation 18% of the time.

Contaminants identified included allium, rice, wheat, palm, daisy, and dracaena (houseplant).
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 03-11-2015 04:58 PM

Raggedyann wrote: I have had a skin condition for years and traditional medicine has been expensive and useless. My daughter called yesterday to let me know that her friend has been using coconut oil for the same condition and she has had great success. I rushed out last night and bought some. I've used a few natural remedies without success. I am keeping my fingers crossed this one works. :)

coconut oil is quite amazing stuff, we use it in many ways, not the least of which is cooking with it most nights. I add it to my homemade soap, I drink it in coffee in place of milk or cream... it is a great food safe lubricant for kitchen appliances and drawers.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 03-11-2015 05:16 PM

Fan wrote: coconut oil is quite amazing stuff, we use it in many ways, not the least of which is cooking with it most nights. I add it to my homemade soap, I drink it in coffee in place of milk or cream... it is a great food safe lubricant for kitchen appliances and drawers.

My daughter is now using it for cooking and loves it in her coffee too.

Here is my experience with my wee but ornery little Casey dog. He has had his teeth cleaned by the vet twice having surgery. Recently his teeth became gross again - bad breath and brown fangs etc. As he is 14 yrs old I decided he is too old to undergo anesthetic again. I found a holistic animal lady that cleans dogs teeth without anesthetic. I called her and explained that Casey is horrible to deal with because he fights everybody who tries to poke around on him, tries to bite the vet and the groomer and would she be able to deal with him? She said "no problem". I was highly skeptical but decided to let her try. He hates strangers and I was worried about stressing him, not to mention that she may end up with a bloody stump for a hand!

She came to the house and introduced herself to him. She talked to him soothingly until she had him completely calmed down (took 5 min.) and then she wrapped him up in a towel and did the entire procedure without a single peep out of him. The whole thing took over an hour and he was as good as gold and even licked her face when she was finished. He won't even let me clip his claws and he trusts me. I sat watching this and was completely blown away. The lady is gifted. She told me that she has never been bitten.
Last edited by Raggedyann on 03-11-2015 05:21 PM, edited 1 time in total.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 03-11-2015 05:18 PM

Raggedyann wrote: My daughter is now using it for cooking and loves it in her coffee too.

Here is my experience with my wee but ornery little Casey dog. He has had his teeth cleaned by the vet twice having surgery. Recently his teeth became gross again - bad breath and brown fangs etc. As he is 14 yrs old I decided he is too old to undergo anesthetic again. I found a holistic animal lady that cleans dogs teeth without anesthetic. I called her and explained that Casey is horrible to deal with because he fights everybody who tries to poke around on him, tries to bite the vet and the groomer and would she be able to deal with him? She said "no problem". I was highly skeptical but decided to let her try. He hates strangers!

She came to the house and introduced herself to him. She talked to him soothingly until she had him completely calmed down (took 5 min.) and then she wrapped him up in a towel and did the entire procedure without a single peep out of him. The whole thing took over an hour and he was as good as gold and even licked her face when she was finished. He won't even let me clip his claws and he trusts me. I sat watching this and was completely blown away. The lady is gifted. She told me that she has never been bitten.

awesome. Some people just understand how animals work. I have been told a few times after having a cat sit on my lap at a friend's that the cat normally would never show interest in anyone. I think they just like my beard and whiskers and think I am one of them.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 03-11-2015 05:25 PM

Fan wrote: I think they just like my beard and whiskers and think I am one of them.

:D :D :D

Cats really do know who's who.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 03-11-2015 07:59 PM

I have used coconut oil for a couple years now, mainly for cooking. I wouldn't think of using any other oil now. I also take 1160mg of tumeric every day for the past several years, which has helped keep my arthritis pain in check. Very rarely take a pain med any more for it. So l'm kind of convinced that certain things do help. It is trying to find the right things. Also , I pay more for the herbs I take. If ever you check out what they use for "fillers" in some of the herbs, you might as well buy them and throw them in the garbage immediately. :)
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 03-11-2015 09:23 PM

I will try 1160mg of tumeric Doka. Getting sick of T3's.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 03-11-2015 10:16 PM

I sure hope it works for you Ra, it has been a blessing for me. Make sure it has some black pepper in it. Black pepper acts as an activator, when I 1st started the turmeric I got was pretty pure and I just took a little pepper xtra, I love pepper so I never found it a problem. Actually I'm about to go back to the purer stuff. The filler on the one I have now has rice flour and a couple more things, I don't know why its needed. Like I say , I sure hope it helps! :)
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 03-11-2015 10:26 PM

One way to take that much turmeric is in do-it-yourself gel caps.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... j1tsp6hh_b
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 03-11-2015 10:51 PM

SquidInk wrote: One way to take that much turmeric is in do-it-yourself gel caps.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... j1tsp6hh_b

Thanks Squid!

The coconut oil is working on my skin. It has taken the itch away completely and that's half the battle because the more you scratch a skin condition the worse it gets. So now I understand how this oil works. I am thrilled! :)

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 03-12-2015 08:42 AM

I found fresh Turmeric root at a local asian market. This stuff is great! I cook with it all the time now, and am even trying to propagate it to grow myself.

I also take turmeric+ginger supplements, but want to start supplementing only with fresh root.

Hint: Turmeric is called Haldi in Hindi, so many Indian stores will call it that.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 03-12-2015 10:09 AM

There are a lot of places to get it, this is one I have used, I just take one a day, after I noticed I was loosing a lot of hair, seemed to stop it, when I went to one. At this point, I don't want to fool with making my own caps. I also tend to use turmeric and ginger in cooking as well as other herbs, I just like them. It is just experimenting until you find the right combination, with the least side effects,that are Not wanted. Because as with any thing, sometimes more is not better. Your body will tell you, if you just tune in to it.

http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-turmer ... capsules-6
KARMA RULES

Return to “The Natural World”