Obama's Health Plan Bars Private Insurance After All

Archive. Enter at your own risk. Unmoderated thread.

Moderator: Super Moderators

HB3

Post by HB3 » 08-13-2009 05:52 PM

Wanted: Obama healthcare reform volunteers willing to be paid $15 an hour
August 13, 2009 | 5:18 am

It seems that, despite all the media attention lavished on e-mail appeals to his supporters, not everyone pushing for President Obama's embattled healthcare reform plan these warm August days is an idealistic volunteer in it for the sake of helping move the country forward and gaining medical attention for millions of uninsured Americans.

The website's large-type headline announces: "Work to Pass Obama's Healthcare Plan and Get Paid to Do it! $10-15 hr!"

It's a web ad on Craigslist: "You can work for change. Join motivated staff around the country working to make change happen. You can make great friends and money along the way. Earn $400-$600 a week."

So both sides appear to have paid lobbyists in this colossal summertime struggle for public opinion and control of the multi-billions flowing into the nation's burdened healthcare system.

The ad links to the Boston-based Fund for the Public Interest, an umbrella organization that rounds up people to round up support, money and signatures for all kinds of campaigns, including healthcare reform and the environment.

It's hiring and assigning canvassers to work in at least 28 states, including California, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Oregon, Massachusetts, Minnesota and New Jersey.

"Now is our chance to make health care work," says the ad to recruit recruiters in support for the president's proposals. "America’s health care system is broken. Health care costs are spiraling out of control, throwing families, businesses and government into financial crisis.

"Families are worried their health coverage won’t be there when they need it. Our country can’t afford to wait for health reform that keeps costs down and protects consumers"

It sounds much like the president at one of his healthcare town halls; (next stops, Montana and Colorado). "We’re fighting for healthcare that will protect families’ financial health, lay out a clear path for all Americans to afford healthcare, and improve patient safety and quality care.

"Help make change happen," pleads the advertisement. "If you're good with people and feel passionately about the environment and human rights, you'll make money working for the Fund."

Sounds like an ideal kind of idealism, the profitable kind.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washing ... eform.html

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 08-13-2009 08:50 PM

Rombaldi wrote: Ass.
Ass.
Ass.
Ass.

Go the hell away, we're tired of you.

You speak for everyone here now?

Does your ego have any limits at all?

You know, you can try to silence us, but it wont work. There will remain Independent voices here at this forum, whether you like it or not.

As I've been watching you come unhinged over the last few days (and I admit it is mighty interesting to observe), I realized - based upon one of your posts - what is happening here:

You have, in your little mind (really, I see no reason to bite my tongue and restrain my language with you anymore - you appear to have carte blanche in this area, so you'll be treated accordingly - as the asshole that you obviously are), anyway, as I was saying, with your endless ego you have elevated yourself - and your opinion to the level of being the President Obama of this forum - and cast HB3 and I as town hall protesters. Fascinating.
Last edited by Kaztronic on 08-13-2009 09:03 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

HB3

Post by HB3 » 08-13-2009 09:13 PM

I don't know what's worse -- the idea that Rombaldi's being paid to act this way, or that he's doing it for free....

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 08-13-2009 09:23 PM

I can think of two things worse, they both posted right above me...
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 08-13-2009 09:59 PM

Notice: The Fantastic Forum is happy to have an essentially unmoderated thread here. As this is a hot topic area there is much laxity in the rules of posting - even for personal attacks - to a point.

While there are some here who may be entertained by this current fracas, and similar ones - there are more here in the FF Community who are not.

There is also the consideration that like begets like - and this level of posting may have the unintended consequence of acting as a lightening rod to others out there on the internets who have a purient interest in this level of exchange who would love to come in and participate as this level.

If things get really toxic in here, it is also more difficult to change gears when posting elsewhere on the forum - which also has an adverse effect here.

Things to consider...

HB3

Post by HB3 » 08-13-2009 10:08 PM

I thought we had some sort of informal agreement that we'd leave each other alone. I don't go into his threads. Lately, though, he's started crossing over into mine. I prefer the previous arrangement.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 08-13-2009 10:12 PM

And I'm not really interested in a flame war, I kinda just want him to keep away from me....

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 08-13-2009 10:24 PM

# Posts by HB3 in this thread - 76

# Posts by me in this thread - 7, correction this is 8

Shout a little louder HteaBagger3 .. more distraction needed.
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 08-13-2009 11:10 PM

Dude, you've been following HB3 and I around for days now, from thread to thread.

HB3 posted a follow-up article that was both current, and interesting in this thread (at least I thought it was - I suspect you didn't even bother to read it before commenting). Anyway, he put up a follow-up article dealing with the original topic and you hijacked it with your nasty, typical personal attacks.

In my case, you accused me of intentionally lying and spreading information here on the forum that I knew to be false. That's a serious accusation - and one that is damn well going to get a lot of response from me.

Your reply to the recent posts in this thread demonstrates your apparent inability to control yourself, and to keep the personal attacks / insults to yourself.

Either that is going to catch up with you one day, or people like myself (and I suspect a couple others who have been piping up recently) are going to say "the hell with this" and get the **** out of this forum.

I admit, it is tempting - in a very nasty way to simply say "you win", leave, and let there be one less independent voice out there as an obstacle to the "no dissent allowed" forum that you are so hellbent on creating - through intimidation, insults and personal attacks.
Last edited by Kaztronic on 08-13-2009 11:18 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 08-13-2009 11:24 PM

uh.
huh.

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 08-14-2009 07:47 PM

http://www.jamestownsun.com/event/article/id/91608/

Published August 14 2009

Conrad says he won’t support government-run health care program

Sen. Kent Conrad, D-N.D. presented his cooperative health care proposal here Thursday and told an audience of 100 that he would not vote for a government-run health care program.

By: Katie Ryan, The Jamestown Sun

CARRINGTON, N.D. — Sen. Kent Conrad, D-N.D. presented his cooperative health care proposal here Thursday and told an audience of 100 that he would not vote for a government-run health care program.

Conrad stopped in Carrington as part of his a statewide tour touting the Senate Finance Committee’s cooperative health care proposal.

The proposal has received bipartisan support for several reasons, he said. The cooperative would offer a non-profit insurance option to compete with private health care. It would not be government run, he said.

Individuals, families and small business owners could stick with their current provider, or they could opt for the cooperative plan.

Health care issues are a concern in the country and North Dakota, Conrad said. A North Dakota family of four currently pays more than $11,000 for health insurance. By 2016, Conrad predicted health insurance costs could almost double to more than $20,000 for a family of four.

“The government itself cannot afford the direction we’re going,” he said.

Those attending the meeting also voiced their concerns regarding health care reform.

Carrington Mayor Don Frye said his concern was the importance of health care in rural areas. He feared health care reform could impact rural facilities like the Carrington Health Center.

“Our community’s strength is only as strong as the health care system in place,” he said.

Medicare and Medicaid reimbursements are handled unfairly, Conrad said. The reimbursements punish states like North Dakota whose work is more efficient. He said he won’t vote for any reform plan that doesn’t make reimbursements more equitable.

Dr. Todd Schaffer, a family practice doctor who works at Carrington Health Center, said patients should be treated without regard to costs. That, however, doesn’t always happen.

“The health care that we give is sometimes not what we want,” Schaffer said.

Matt Paulson, pharmacist at Carrington Drug, said health care reform needs accountability. And it needs time to create the best solution.

“When things are rushed in our daily lives, things get missed,” he said.

Conrad agreed.

He said he and the Senate Finance Committee have yet to submit a final proposal. The proposal needs more time and shouldn’t be rushed, he said.

President Barack Obama had originally set an August deadline for the House and Senate to pass health care reform. That target is too rushed, Conrad said.

“I don’t think an arbitrary timetable fits with an issue of this complexity,” he said.

Conrad said he would not vote for any health care reform that funded abortions, care for illegal immigrants or a plan that mandates end-of-life counseling.
racehorse

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 08-14-2009 08:00 PM

Conrad is fulla HorsePoo

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 08-14-2009 08:24 PM

Rombaldi wrote: Conrad is fulla HorsePoo

Well he is a Democrat! ;) :eek: :D
racehorse

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 08-14-2009 08:47 PM

Interesting!

--

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2009/ ... eport.html

August 14, 2009

Conrad Spokesman Denies Earlier Report

A report earlier today said Sen. Kent Conrad (D-ND) would vote against a health care reform plan with a public option. It was big news if you're following the debate closely.

Alex Koppelman: "Turns out, though, that it's not true. The Sun's story never quoted Conrad directly about the public option, and the senator's communications director, Sean Neary, told Salon that the story was inaccurate. Conrad has been telling his constituents that he won't let the government run their health care, which may be the cause of the confusion, but that language doesn't preclude the public option."
racehorse

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 08-14-2009 09:34 PM

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politic ... 1&page=all

More Americans disapprove than approve of Obama health care reform plan: poll

BY Michael Saul
DAILY NEWS POLITICAL CORRESPONDENT

Friday, August 14th 2009, 12:58 PM
Getty

A new poll shows most Americans disapprove of Obama's health care plans.

More Americans disapprove of President Obama’s handling of health care reform than approve, with independent voters breaking away from the commander in chief, a new poll found.

The Marist Poll found 45% of registered voters nationwide disapprove of how Obama is handling health care, while 43% approve and 12% are unsure.

A full 52% of independent voters, the critical voting bloc that propelled Obama to the White House last fall, gave the President’s handling of health care the thumbs down, while just 34% approve.

Democrats largely approve of how the president is dealing with the issue, 74%, while 76% of Republicans disapprove.

While the clear majority of Americans -- 67% of registered voters -- believe the nation’s health care system needs major change, many are pessimistic about the potential impact of health care reform.

The poll found that 55% of Americans predict health care will get worse or stay the same, while just 39% believe health care will get better.

Nearly a quarter of Americans said they will blame the Democrats in Congress if health care legislation doesn’t live up to their expectations.

One-fifth of Americans said the pharmaceutical companies are to blame, 15% fault Obama and 14% would hold the GOP responsible.
racehorse

Return to “Politics and Government 2004-2009”