Noobie's Intro

First Time Posters thread for new posters or posters with 0-50 posts ONLY!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Texian
Pirate

Noobie's Intro

Post by Texian » 02-26-2008 11:16 AM

Hi, I'm not a regular C2C listener except for those times when I have to go to work extra early. What I heard those times has been intresting and intelligent. I've always considered myself a rational and somewhat skeptical person but I also believe having a little mystery in life is important. That might explain why I have a budding intrest in stuff like treasure lore, cyptozoology and political hypocracy.

At the moment I'm living near both the US/Mexico border and the Gulf Coast. Plenty of all three elements I'm intrested in abound here.:D

I got intrested in this forum because I'm not trusting of the mainstrem BS I'm being force fed. Looking back, it seems the stories and views I heard as a kid from my dad and his old drinking buddies over a camp fire make more sense than the stuff I hear now.

Anyway I hope I can fit in here and maybe offer some insight into border life if there's any intrest.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 02-26-2008 11:31 AM

Welcome Texian, looking forward to your input here on the Fantastic, many are interested in a perspective from someone who has experience living in the area you do. We do try to post news here that you won't see on main stream media.

Texian
Pirate

Post by Texian » 02-26-2008 12:32 PM

Thanks for the greet Shirelypal. I have a jaded prespective of local going ons. Alot of what I take for granted here seems to be big news up country. The Mexican cartels are in a state of open warfare against one another and the Federales. Gun running is at an all time high. The Border Patrol has become a lackluster bueracratic mess. The MS13 gang has been here for years. The politicans on this side of the Rio Grande are only less corrupt than their Mexican counterparts by a few degrees.

The Mexican military took the city of Reyanosa and disarmed the police department after a members of the Gulf Cartel had a shoot out with Federales. The US Government is suing local landowners who are refusing the Feds access to their land, so they can survey for the Border Wall. A former Court Bailiff was charged with selling arms bound for Mexico out of his drive through liqiuor store. Yawn. Just the typical stuff you hear on the local news channel every week.:eek:

On the Treasure side there is the Singer Horde, the brother of inventor of the Singer sewing machine had a ranch near the coast prior to the Civil War. Supposedly he hid around 60,000 dollars (1850's value) somewhere near by. Also several Spanish galleons floundered on the sands of South Padre Island. There has been a good deal of river traffic going up and down the Rio Grande since the Spanish days. The river has changed course many times over the centuries, no telling what awaits a treasure hunter digging an old river bed.

On intresting animal sightings. Jaugarundis, cougars and even jaguars have been claimed. Except for what was believed to be a cougar's track nothing has been verified. Take into consideration this area has been cultivated farm land since before the 1920's and no big cats seen since before then. Cyptozoologists came here in scores back in the 70's after the sightings of the Big Bird, which resembled a Pterosaur. There was even one bigfoot sighting during the same period.

I seem surrounded by things both mundane and bizarre. I never really had a place to discuss these things before. Maybe now I can find some open minded folks to share thoughts with. I consider myself an armchair explorer who happens to get out and do a little legwork now and then. I'm hoping to get pointers from more adventurous members on how to go about things.:)

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 02-26-2008 12:49 PM

Welcome new Pirate of the desert southwest:)

Texian
Pirate

Post by Texian » 02-26-2008 02:35 PM

Thanks Tiffany, however the climate ranges from semi arid to sub tropical. Kinda like the Med I'm told. Pleasent with just a hint of danger. :D

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 02-26-2008 04:02 PM

Welcome! I have a friend down on South Padre Island that is active in Sea Turtle rescue efforts. From the pix she has sent me it is quite beautiful. Don't know if you're quite that far south.;)
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

Texian
Pirate

Post by Texian » 02-26-2008 04:42 PM

Pyschicwolf, years ago I use to spend quite a bit of time on South Padre fishing and beachcombing so I'm familar with the Turtle Watch people. They patrol the beach looking for sea turtles and flagging nest sites. It's quite something to be out on the water and watch a turtle chowing down on jellyfish.

I was once enamored with a shapely marine biology student who was doing reseach on the Port Mansfield jetties. My efforts failed to impress her but I did learn how manmade jetties were a boon to sealife in the area. So I got something out it.:D

I've been fasinated by the beach and coastal enviroment for years. I've been wanting to test my survival skills out there. The Karankawa tribe thrived out there, however history has it they viewed shipwreaked Spainards as a protein source.:eek:

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 02-26-2008 05:00 PM

Welcome to the ship Texian :)

Return to “First Time Posters Thread”