C2C Resembled WWE Smackdown Saturday Night

Saturday Host on Coast to Coast AM!

Moderator: Super Moderators

wcstflyer
Pirate

C2C Resembled WWE Smackdown Saturday Night

Post by wcstflyer » 04-20-2008 11:19 AM

Normally the weekend offerings of C2C are a refreshing change from the weeknight shows. Ian is an intellectual with a laser whit and endless puns which are highly enjoyable. He is also a host that rolls with the punches and doesn't often let a guest get under his skin. Not so last night.

Steve Quayle and he engaged in verbal warfare the likes of which I haven't heard on Coast for a long time. Quayle, a fairly frequent guest with George Noory, has always been a rapid fire sort of fellow who can predict the Apophis asteroid striking Earth on April 13, 2036, the catastrophic collapse of the U.S. economy, anarchy in Trinidad/Tobago and a food fight in the Faber College cafeteria- all in the same breath. Last night Ian Punnett just seethed as if he were totally blindsided by a guest who had hijacked his show.

I'm at a loss to answer why? Quayle's survivalist shtick is well known and he never touched on universal radio no-nos like condemning Israel of atrocities or engaging in anti-religious diatribe. All he did was give useful tips on growing hydroponic gardens in an Airstream trailer to a poor frazzled women in a mobile home. Heck my kids had a vegetable garden in our Southern California backyard years ago (and dear 'ol Dad ending up weeding and maintaining it.) What happened last night?

There was only one other occasion I've ever heard Ian go off the deep end with a guest. One evening Punnett had on a guy who conjured up hydrogenated baloney about searching for a lost city of gold and finding it 20,000 feet up an Andean mountain...in a rain forest. Ian pounced like an unleashed lion and announced that since timberline was at 10,000 there couldn't possibly have been a rain forest. The guy started to immediately unravel. With a prickly Ian listening with one hand on the delete button, the hapless fool continued spinning a tale of fleeing a tribe of twelve foot giants (the guest said he himself was an NBA sized seven footer) and had nothing to show for his expedition since the horse he was riding on- with the golden booty aboard- took a deadly tumble into a bottomless chasm. Now the animal rights people were steamed. End of guest.

Unlike the above case we listeners had to suffer through fifteen rounds of Ian vs. Steve. :(

DigiWiz
Pirate

Post by DigiWiz » 04-20-2008 11:59 AM

I agree completely! Here is a post I made last night on another forum about the same topic. No one else brought it up or responded...
Ian is by far, my favorite host, but something seems to have changed in the last month or so... I appreciate his intellect and wry/dry sense of humor, and ability to challenge guests in such a way that is almost like they don't realize they're being challenged... but lately it seems, Ian has been more antogonistic. Speculation is usually worthless, but it almost seems like maybe something in is personal life is unknowingly affecting his radio persona. Maybe just increased stress from increased job duties... nonetheless, it seems noticeable to me.
DW

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 04-20-2008 12:30 PM

I became so aggravated with Ian's attitude, I ended up shutting off the radio. Ian seemed to be tilted toward a duel in the last half hour, and frankly, by that time, I'd more than had my fill.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Biker
Pirate

Post by Biker » 04-20-2008 12:38 PM

I found it entertaining. Ian takes no crap and I like that about him.

Beats the hell out of Noory's constant butt-kissing.

Biker
"Bring me my broadsword and clear understanding".

Ian Anderson

ArtBellfan
Pirate

Post by ArtBellfan » 04-20-2008 07:36 PM

Biker wrote: I found it entertaining. Ian takes no crap and I like that about him.

Beats the hell out of Noory's constant butt-kissing.

Biker
I totally agree with that...he won't just believe anything a guest spews out,but last night ,although interesting and entertaining at times, got a bit out of hand as well...not sure what Ian thought he was going to get out of Steve.....

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 04-20-2008 07:51 PM

What a pity that I failed to listen last night! If what I read be true, then Ian Punnitt has come a long, long, long way from that memorable (to me, at least) night when he groveled shamelessly before a Hollywood-based CIA disinformation operative by the code name of “Basil Baz.” Punnitt doubtlessly has come to the conclusion that Quayle is an alarmist-huckster, whom rubes like Noory are forced to endure because they are desperate to keep their jobs by any ratings-increasing gimmick that they can find! And hell, folks, Chicken Little means ratings!!!!

Beyond that, maybe Punnitt has come to realization about how sad and pathetic and dragged-out Coast-to-Coast, once the fountainhead of 1990s counterculturalism, has become! Maybe he's angling to get fired so that he can be freed of the burden of propping up the rotting corpse! If so, then my respect for Punnitt has increased!
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Shimmering Auro
Pirate

Post by Shimmering Auro » 04-20-2008 08:14 PM

Due to my intense dislike of Quayle (that's putting it mildly), I didn't bother to tune in.

I now regret missing the opportunity to hear Ian's discerning voice of reason call Steve Quack Quayle on the carpet.

Does anyone have a copy of the show?

Shirleypal, did you happen to record it?
shimmeringaurora(at)yahoo(dot)com

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 04-20-2008 08:51 PM

SA on the way.:)

Shimmering Auro
Pirate

Post by Shimmering Auro » 04-20-2008 08:59 PM

;) I knew I could count on you, Shirl
Thank you!

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 04-20-2008 09:13 PM

Yes! Yes! Help us, Shirleypal Kenobi, you're our last hope!

:D :D :D
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 04-20-2008 09:20 PM

joequinn wrote: Yes! Yes! Help us, Shirleypal Kenobi, you're our last hope!

:D :D :D

In spite of you giving me such a hard time Joe it's on the way to you also.:D

starbrite
Pirate

Post by starbrite » 04-20-2008 09:43 PM

I heard the show last nite and my interpretation of it was that Steven Quayle is so used to George's interviewing technique of letting him run wild with the dailogue that he thought it was just going to be another long-winded nite on Coast. Well, Ian does not interview like that he is a very engaged interviewer and I think that Steven Quayle did not know how to handle it. He wanted to go back to the Noory style, but Ian would not allow it, thus they were back and forth as one would push the other verbally as they could. At one point I thought when Ian went to open lines at the top of the third hour I thought that was Steven Qualye's last hour and I felt so did he. He came around to Ian's way for a while and back and forth and back and forth. It was very lively.

I enjoy Steven Quayle and I also like Ian's appearances on the weekend. Actually, in my opinion, the interviewer should control the show not the guest. That was what Ian attempted to do and I respect him for it.

dto
Pirate

Post by dto » 04-20-2008 11:48 PM

I enjoy Steven Quayle and I also like Ian's appearances on the weekend. Actually, in my opinion, the interviewer should control the show not the guest. That was what Ian attempted to do and I respect him for it.

I agree. I like the Quayle interviews, but he's a bit like Alex Jones or Glenn Kimball where he can just talk uninterrupted for five straight minutes if you let him. Eventually you forget what the original question was.

On another note, I also like Shirleypal's avatar. :cool:

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-21-2008 12:04 AM

I heard the last half hour. I thought it was great.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-21-2008 12:24 AM

Go, Ian!

Return to “Ian Punnett/Saturday Host”