Moderator: Super Moderators

kbot
Pirate

Earth Overshoot Day

Post by kbot » 08-08-2016 10:56 AM

This can't be good............

Snippet:

We’ve Devoured a Year’s Worth of Natural Resources in Just Seven Months

Today is Earth Overshoot Day—the day when humanity has consumed more natural resources than the planet is able to generate in a single calendar year. Disturbingly, this date is happening earlier with each passing year.

According to the Global Footprint Network, an international think tank concerned with environmental sustainability, Earth Overshoot Day is today, August 8, 2016. That means we’ve eaten up our annual supply of Earth’s renewable resources—and there’s still a whopping 145 days still left in the year.

“We use more ecological resources and services than nature can regenerate through overfishing, overharvesting forests and emitting more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere than forests can sequester,” notes GFN at its website.

http://gizmodo.com/we-ve-devoured-a-yea ... 1784968887
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Doka
Pirate

Re: Earth Overshoot Day

Post by Doka » 08-08-2016 11:58 AM

kbot wrote:This can't be good............

Snippet:

We’ve Devoured a Year’s Worth of Natural Resources in Just Seven Months

Today is Earth Overshoot Day—the day when humanity has consumed more natural resources than the planet is able to generate in a single calendar year. Disturbingly, this date is happening earlier with each passing year.

According to the Global Footprint Network, an international think tank concerned with environmental sustainability, Earth Overshoot Day is today, August 8, 2016. That means we’ve eaten up our annual supply of Earth’s renewable resources—and there’s still a whopping 145 days still left in the year.

“We use more ecological resources and services than nature can regenerate through overfishing, overharvesting forests and emitting more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere than forests can sequester,” notes GFN at its website.

http://gizmodo.com/we-ve-devoured-a-yea ... 1784968887

OK Kbot so, while you are being "Guilted Out" over something you really have no control over, that you are also personally responsible for the millions of acres currently being burned in the forests and are also responsible all the volcano's going off. So I wish you would just cut it out or use your magical powers to make it better!

Do you not know what is being done to people? The use of "Guilt" turns some people into irrational mental cases. The "Mentally Vulnerable" will be hurting to the point of harming themselves! For the rest of the people, aware people, they know their limitations, these people don't, they have become gods , failed gods at that. Look for the suicide rate to climb.
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-08-2016 03:19 PM

Not feeling guilt - just pointing out what I thought was a good article........
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Riddick
Pirate

OK, So It's Not Magic, But ISN'T It THE Logical & Painless Solution (IF Done Right!)?

Post by Riddick » 08-08-2016 05:42 PM

Good article kbot! Still, I see its discussion of "Ecological Footprint" formation lacking... It's easy to avoid the issue, and yet it's really what's responsible for it all in the first place

How about we talk 'human' resources? There's a surplus of THAT, and more every minute. Face it, folks, mankind's a menace, a blight on what would be a world sans worry elsewise

Why not let's fix that? Y'know, cut our numbers to a sustainable level where the consumption of stuff and carbon spewing isn't outstripping Earth's ability to renew, heal and cope

C'mon, concerned citizens! NOW is the time for all good folks to come to the aid of Gaia before it's too late: If you can't bring yourself to do the right thing, just ask for assistance -

Save The Planet, Kill Yourself
THE CHURCH OF EUTHANASIA
The Four Pillars: Suicide | Abortion | Cannibalism | Sodomy
The One Commandment: "THOU SHALT NOT PROCREATE"

http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-09-2016 05:50 AM

When I read the article, initially it reminded me of the day that Americans "celebrate" concerning the day when they worked and paid their full amount of taxes for the year - seems that day moves further into the year.

And, concerning your reference to the Church of Euthanasia, believe me - it's already here and digging itself in with the weight of law behind it..........

New California Law Allows Health Insurance to Deny Treatment But Cover Assisted Suicide Drugs

On October 5th, California Governor Jerry Brown signed a dangerous bill that made his state the fourth in the country to legalize physician-assisted suicide, following Oregon, Washington and Vermont. His decision upset religious leaders, pro-life activists and disability rights organizations because it opens Pandora’s Box to all sorts of evils.

In July, California lawmaker Lorena Gonzalez (D-San Diego) explained some of the ways the law could be used to manipulate people into killing themselves. She said, “My concern is for people who don’t have resources, who don’t have a choice. You read about Oregon denying someone a lung transplant, but, ‘Here, you can you have these pills.’ That’s my fear about what this would become.”

Assemblywoman Gonzalez is not alone in her opinion about assisted suicide; countless experts have explained that it’s nearly impossible to ensure that the legislation will not used to target marginalized populations, such as the sick and elderly. Additionally, the Daily Signal reports that some believe the law will impact the poor the most because health care plans could refuse to provide coverage for certain expensive drugs.

In fact, Dr. William Toffler wrote in The Wall Street Journal that he’s seen this problem in Oregon, where assisted suicide has been legal since 1998. He said under Oregon’s Health Care Plan some drugs and pain medications that his patients need are not covered yet a prescription for a lethal dose of phenobarbital is. He asked, “Supporters claim physician-assisted suicide gives patients choice, but what sort of a choice is it when life is expensive but death is free?”

http://www.lifenews.com/2015/10/08/new- ... ide-drugs/

As a society, we've gone from being in a place where every thing is created to last a long time and quality (both of things as well as people) was desired. Now, we're a totally disposable society, ever in search of change. And, that includes people.

Used to be that if your razor was dull, you took a few seconds and sharpened the blade. Your shoes needed new soles and heels, you went to a cobbler. TV or radio on the fritz, you either repaired them yourselves or hired someone to do the repairs for you.

Now we're at the point where we generate more plastic disposables than at any time in history and the landfills grow to the point that we have floating cities of crap floating in the oceans, cell phones are obsolete the day that the latest and greatest "must-have!!!!!!" goes on sale and even insurers find it better (in their view anyway) to kill you rather than treat you. Since this improves THEIR bottom line as a result, they're getting on-board.

No surprise that Gov. Brown signed this into law........

I truly wish that the Far Left would make up their minds - look at their position on people for example. If you're a women carrying a fetus, you can legally abort the child. You can even do it because of gender or other "style" issues. BUT, if that child is killed in a car accident (for example) the other person can be charged with murder. If a healthcare professional mistakenly administers a med and your parent dies as a result, you can sue the individual who gave the med, but that same parent can take meds kill themselves and that's OK....... You can even be billed for the "service".

So, the Far Left has taken he position of, it's not the LIFE (and presumably the soul that actually is the underlying life) that requires respect. NO, what truly matters is the intent..... "the choice" that this individual makes. That their "choice" may also impact another's life is irrelevant. The life, the "soul" of the individual is just as disposable as any Trac2 razor. What truly matters is the "choice" being made.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 08-09-2016 08:19 AM

Kbot quote:

"So, the Far Left has taken he position of, it's not the LIFE (and presumably the soul that actually is the underlying life) that requires respect. NO, what truly matters is the intent..... "the choice" that this individual makes. That their "choice" may also impact another's life is irrelevant. The life, the "soul" of the individual is just as disposable as any Trac2 razor. What truly matters is the "choice" being made."

Good article, very thought provoking !

You better have a darn good reason to do suicide, a "Bad Hair Day" just won't cut it. The Soul, I don't think people really understand that they even have one, but we do. It is the most important part of us. Perhaps, if people would be aware, they would act better, but Humans are not known, for their own "self awareness", but are more than likely to worry more about their pet dog or cat's soul.

The perpetrators of this line of thinking, haven't a clue to how evil they are. Well, maybe some do.
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-09-2016 11:24 AM

Doka wrote: Perhaps, if people would be aware, they would act better, but Humans are not known, for their own "self awareness", but are more than likely to worry more about their pet dog or cat's soul.
I love my two dogs, but what I've seen people do with their pets and how they lavish them with "toys" that cost thousands while ignoring people - just amazes me.

As a traditional Catholic (although I think that this sort of thinking would apply, no matter what your faith is), "karma" is a bitch, and how you act will determine how things go for you later on - whether it's in "Heaven", "Purgatory" or "Hell", ......... OR, whatever you conceive the afterlife to be. Even if you accept the premise that there is no afterlife and the here and now is all that matters, once you out something out there, it's bound to ricochet back at some point......

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 08-09-2016 01:51 PM

A question for you Kbot, what is the Catholic stance on reincarnation , or is it a just one shot deal?
KARMA RULES

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-09-2016 03:34 PM

Ya know Doka, I was not 100% sure when you asked me this. I know that I've read passages in the OT and NT in which I thought a believe and possibility of reincarnation is not ruled out. I was surprised to learn that is the case and so a belief in reincarnation by Catholics can be assumed as a "genuine" belief.

However, what some "believe" and what the Church says are often two different things entirely. I found this on a Franciscan website and it provides some information. Generally, I've found the Franciscans to be a much more approachable group that some other orders.....

Snippet:

Q: One of my close friends believes in reincarnation. My Catholic education and faith leave me with no reason to believe in multiple lives. Among other things, my friend claims that all mention of reincarnation was removed from the Bible in the early centuries of the Church.

Please provide me with some background on reincarnation, its presence in the Bible at any time in history and the Catholic Church’s position on it.

A: In A Concise Dictionary of Theology (Paulist, 1991), Jesuits Gerald O’Collins and Edward Farrugia describe reincarnation as “the belief, also called metempsychosis (Greek ‘animate afterward’), that souls inhabit a series of bodies and can live many lives on this earth before being completely purified and so released from the need to migrate to another body.

“According to this belief, the soul preexists its embodiment, and after death exists in a disembodied state before animating [inhabiting] once again a body of the same or a different species. In various forms, reincarnation has been accepted by Buddhists, Hindus, Neoplatonists and others.

“Belief in resurrection and official rejection of the preexistence of souls...rule out reincarnation. By maintaining an indefinite series of chances, the doctrine of reincarnation reduces the seriousness of God’s grace and human liberty exercised in one life that is terminated by a once-and-for-all death.”

In 1991 the Holy See’s International Theological Commission published Certain Aspects of Eschatology, which says: “Christianity defends duality, reincarnation defends a dualism in which the body is simply an instrument of the soul and is laid aside, existence by successive existence, as an altogether different body is assumed each time.

“As far as eschatology is concerned, the doctrine of reincarnation denies both the possibility of eternal damnation and the idea of the resurrection of the body. But the fundamental error is in the rejection of the Christian doctrine of salvation. For the reincarnationist the soul is its own savior by its own efforts” (Section 9.3).

Reincarnation denies the need to convert, about which Jesus spoke often. If souls keep recycling, won’t they all end up in the same place eventually? If so, why are our decisions today important?

Arguing that some major doctrine was originally in the Bible but was later removed strikes me as too easy a solution.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church says: “When ‘the single course of our earthly life’ is completed, we shall not return to other earthly lives: ‘It is appointed for men to die once’ [Hebrews 9:27]. There is no ‘reincarnation’ after death” (#1013).

http://www.americancatholic.org/Messeng ... iseman.asp

I know that there are groups with Catholicism that stray from official Church doctrine, whether willingly, or due to ignorance of Church teaching on their part. Some people contend that there has been a plan (mostly by Freemasons) to usurp the hierarchy of the Church, and point to the selection of Pope John XXIII as the betrayal of the faith by certain members of the cardinals. These people contend that much of the post Vatican II teachings come directly from Protestant sources with the result that Catholic teachings have become watered-down by the spirit of "ecumenism", and "modernity", which is what 19th and early 20th popes preached against. So, taken in that light, lay members of the Catholic Church may believe these things, but it is not official Church doctrine.......

Return to “Environment in Crisis”