Supreme Court Overrules Roe v. Wade in Dobbs Decision – Returns Abortion to State Lawmakers

News, information, and comment about 'the media'

Moderator: Super Moderators

kbot
Pirate

Re: Supreme Court Overrules Roe v. Wade in Dobbs Decision – Returns Abortion to State Lawmakers

Post by kbot » 06-28-2022 06:35 PM

Doka wrote: 06-28-2022 06:48 AM The truth is Abortion is NEVER going away. For one thing we have not even reached Level One yet .(Type One Civilization) We are basically still savages on this planet.And apparrently by desire going backwards. Do you really believe Utopia is just one big CHAOS factory like here? I think you will be in for a surprse and certainly have a long way to go. The World has been turned into a "MeToo" Sewer, by the The powers that Are, My guess is that they look uoon us in discust , something pretty darn big will happen either here or there. Karma is ALL there is.
I have no illusions Doka. I totally agree with you, if I catch your meaning, that society is going downhill quick. I see it every single day at work. Basic things such as being polite, thinking of others, etc, are rapidly fading from society. When my wife and I come home we lock the doors, pull the curtains and settle-in but, bullets can (and do) fly through walls. No here at my place, but out there - but in communities close to us. It's not uncommon, sadly, to hear stories about people being pushed onto subway tracks, or others being attacked by multiple people.

You know that I'm basically a religious person, and I recently found a website about traditional Catholicism that has a lot of articles I found one that I'd very briefly like to share. It was titled The Year Without Sundays, and was written by Maria von Trapp from The Sounds of Music fame. The family doesn't live too far from here in Vermont. The gist of the story is about some of the neighbors "Baron and Baroness So-and-So". One year they took a trip to the old Soviet Union, during the 1930s, before WWII broke out. On entering the country they were met by a government official who kept them under constant surveillance the whole time they were there and accompanied them to the border when they left. While there they noticed that not once did they encounter in that society any semblance of religious observance. The worker's schedules were staggered, so some group of people were always working, regardless of they day, so society never rested

The story relates how the von Trapp's and others in Austria celebrated the sabbath, our Sunday. For them, their celebration actually started on Saturday with bells ringing and since they lived in an agricultural area, all work came to a stop. Farmers worked their way back to their home, cleaned an out away their tools, housewives started preparing Sunday's meal with something extra, such as desert because the main meal wold be coked on Sunday. After everyone came n for the day - early evening, go washed and ate, then the family would gather for some readings and prayer. Sunday was for religious services and interacting together as a community.

There was far more to the story, and I certainly don't want to get preachy, but the point was that as a society, there is so much that we have lost. I think that since the 40s at least, society has changed and as Art Bell used to say about The Quickening that it's like we're on a run away train. Life is cheap, people are disposable and many people are just indifferent, IMHO to the plight of others, whether we're talking the elderly, poor, disabled and you're right, I hear the constant "It's all about me! me! me!". I've actually had a coworker say this to me a number of years ago.......

I know (hope) that abortion won't go away. I am not pro abortion by any means but I can't also force my beliefs on others. At the same time I see/ hear what some states have done and what some states such as Massachusetts are doing to counteract the laws being passed mostly in Southern and Midwestern states.

I find myself listening to the 40s channel a lot on Sirius radio. There's something so calming to me in the music from that time - I think I may finally be losing it....... . Staff turnover is something that I've ever seen in about 47 years doing this job. As a country we've sent our manufacturing overseas and the past few years we couldn't get sterile procedure drapes because of issues in Mexico. Then we couldn't get saline, also because of production issues in Mexico. This year it's contrast media for CT scans because of manufacturing issues in China. It's all about profit at all costs and the heck with everything and everybody. Our equipment is broken and we can't get equipment replaced because the system I work for has expanded far to quickly and they are stuck with hospitals out west they are retying to unload an can't. So we all have to suffer because some genius with a business degree really screwed-up and will in all likelihood be rewarded for his idiocy. Sometimes with refreshers more often. At work we have to take active shooter training every year. Gang violence can carry over into the ER and we have crime right outside the hospital door. Locally we have small children being abused by their parents - killed sometimes and you have to wonder WTF is going on in society.

Housing around here is insane with home that were going for about $150k about 20 years ago, now going to over $400k - and they're crap, but people are desperate because rents are going through the roof as well. Two coworkers just bought homes and I don't see how they can make it. One bought her home nearly a year ago and she's always working doubles in Nuclear Medicine and then in MRI. The other just bought her new (old) home and moved in last weekend and same ting - working doubles just to maintain a status quo. Both may be bankrupt before they're forty. And I see this being repeated everywhere around here.

Anyway, again, not proselyting, or preaching, but just attaching the article below. Yes, it's from another time and place. It's not the US, but reading it, I could actually hear Lawrence Welk at times :roll: - or my parents or grandparents generation saying something similar about the way things used to be.

I think that they'd be horrified at what we as a society have become.........

https://www.fisheaters.com/sundaysbytrapp.html
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

kbot
Pirate

Re: Supreme Court Overrules Roe v. Wade in Dobbs Decision – Returns Abortion to State Lawmakers

Post by kbot » 06-28-2022 06:42 PM

Not to me be all negative, because there is good out there as well...........

Just two local stories about a couple of women who have lived their lives differently and helped countless people in the process....

'They need to know they have worth': Fall River woman fed, fostered hundreds of children

https://www.heraldnews.com/story/news/g ... 747715001/

'She did plenty for this city': Remembering Barbara Travis, a champion for those in need

https://www.heraldnews.com/story/news/2 ... 715885001/
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 06-30-2022 12:46 PM

Good to see you posting again Kbot!! We may not agree on everything but I respect your opinions and enjoy reading your point of view. :)

I am not the hard core left winger I appear to be. I agree with some conservative policies. We need left and right in order to maintain a healthy balance. Too bad the Dems and Repubs are so divided these days. Still pretty sane in Canada and I think that may be because we have more than 2 party's. I hope it stays that way.

Cheers!
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 06-30-2022 06:25 PM

Well RA, it's been a rough few years - COVID, work is truly a four-letter word, not a vocation anymore, all the crazies coming out of the woodwork. My wife's been ailing and my health and age has been catching up me as well. On the bright side, we're grandparents, so that makes everything worthwhile.

But, I truly miss people here. I've checked-in from time to time but haven't wanted to get into the political discussions because I don't want to set-off any flaming wars. I hope that we can all agree that we have differing opinions, as with this current topic. I think we can all agree that it's nothing we're going to settle, and that we haven't heard the last of the discussion.

I think that as a country we're facing probably more challenges than we have before - domestically, foreign, culturally, economically, politically, environmentally - seems there are challenges everywhere you look.

Hoping everyone here stays safe!!!!!!!

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 07-01-2022 12:33 PM

I hope you are not ailing too bad Kbot! And sorry to hear about your wife too. Getting old has some perks but huge drawbacks.

I am suffering badly with arthritis in every single joint in my body. I have a walker now but I hate giving in to the thing. The Doc says I did too much physical work outside in the cold and rain for too many years. Wheel chair will be next but if it gets me out of my appt. not all will be lost. Being unable to walk my dog on the beautiful trails here on Vancouver Island is a real pi$$ off! I am looking at scooters so I can get mutley out again and will not have to rely on others.

Oh my, I do sound like an old bat! :mrgreen:

I'm sure I will continue to comment on political affairs. If my comments set off flaming wars, so be it. Having said that...the January 6th Committee Hearings sure do help me forget about my aches and pains!! :D
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 07-01-2022 05:37 PM

Well RA, in some ways I feel your pain - I have back injections fairly frequently and am scheduled for some more - it's either that of back surgery for slipped disk I got years ago from lifting patients. Sometimes just getting up is a regular joy... :roll: Had a cardiac stress test done recently that cam back with some issues and I need to wear a monitor for a month. It'll be fun sleeping with that...... :mrgreen:

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 07-02-2022 05:03 AM

I had the heart monitor but only for a couple of days. A month is a long time to wear one. You must have a thorough doctor. Good luck with the outcome.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 07-02-2022 09:15 AM

There is a Holter monitor, which can be run for 24- or 48- hours, and an event monitor that runs for 30 days. Both my parents died from complications of heart disease, so I want to get a handle on this

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 07-02-2022 12:42 PM

I hear you Kbot. My Dad passed from a heart attack. His second one and so did his father.

Return to “Media Watch”