What can WE do?

Alternate news source. Reporters-at-large

Moderator: Super Moderators

Iris
Pirate

What can WE do?

Post by Iris » 03-13-2005 06:09 AM

Remember how things were when we were growing up? What do you think we can do to help to get back our lost jobs, and regain the good parts and values of the small-town America we used to know and love?

Here's some ideas to start:

ELECTIONS
Lean on our congresscritters and get active with our local election boards to make sure we have fair elections with a paper trail (preferably NO touchscreen voting). That's got to be #1.

VOTING WITH OUR DOLLARS
Shop with discretion. Avoid WalMart even if it hurts; they are the worst one of all. Be willing to pay a little more or drive a little farther to patronize smaller merchants whenever we can. Look for the union label... if we can find it. Try to buy organic. Look for products made from more natural ingredients. Look for products made in our own countries. This may be harder than ever, but it's also more important than ever and if we do it, the returns will come back to us in the form of healthier communities and more jobs.

MIND BLASTS
There's nothing wrong with visualizing, praying, chanting, dancing, smudging, sending energy -- whatever your preference --for world peace.

What else can you think of?
Last edited by Iris on 03-13-2005 06:11 AM, edited 1 time in total.
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

fabzilla
Pirate

Post by fabzilla » 03-13-2005 06:37 AM

Be "excellent" to each other in our day to day dailings with those who may not have the same views, but are still in the same pot as ourselves.

fab
Ah drrr drrr drrr

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 03-13-2005 07:03 AM

fabzilla wrote: Be "excellent" to each other in our day to day dailings with those who may not have the same views, but are still in the same pot as ourselves.

fab
YES! :D

Also:

Cut up your credit cards!

Use public transit, ride your bike or walk whenever possible, and ditch your gas hog.

When you buy foreign goods, make sure they are Fair Trade Certified. This means means that farmers, workers, and artisans: 1) receive a sufficient price under direct long-term contracts, 2) are small-scale producers in democratic co-ops (coffee, cocoa, bananas, fruits, crafts) or workers on larger farms who receive a living wage and can bargain collectively (tea, bananas, fruits), 3) don't use abusive child labor or forced labor, and 4) use ecologically sustainable methods. Products are clearly marked. I buy silver from Indosesia and beads from Africa, and I insist on the fair trade lable. These things cost a little more but if I can do it so can you.

Honor and protect our mother planet. In doing so, we honor and protect ourselves.

rev6 8
Pirate

Post by rev6 8 » 03-14-2005 02:54 PM

Save American autoworkers jobs, buy Japanese efficiency automobiles.

Fact: 86.4 % of japanese autos sold in the US are built here in the united states, and of that 62.7 % are assembled in the midwest.:)
"I have never met nor heard of anyone who could outsmart the truth." A. Lincoln

Devastated
Moderator - Hammock Expert

Post by Devastated » 03-16-2005 07:34 AM

I love you all. Sorry I can't do much more!:)
You don't have to believe everything that you think...

cherry
Pirate

Post by cherry » 03-17-2005 09:57 AM

Love one another. ;)

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 06-05-2011 10:52 PM

fabzilla wrote: Be "excellent" to each other
A famous line from one of my favourite movies!

'BILL AND TEDS EXCELLENT ADVENTURE'!! (Oh my,one of the best)

Part 2 of that movie sucked pond water!

I guess i will add: BE LOVING AND CARING TO EVERYONE EVN IF THEY ARE MEAN TO YOU! (I always try to be this way)

Return to “Alt News Blog”