New client being developed for GPU crunching

Seti Team Art Bell

Moderator: Super Moderators

Numanoid
Pirate

New client being developed for GPU crunching

Post by Numanoid » 11-30-2006 05:32 PM

For those that are interested, a few crunchers are spearheading a new client that will allow the crunching of WUs using an Nvidia GPU (that utilizes the CUDA technology). Things are in the extremely early planning statges. A website was created that will hopefully keep everyone up to date as to where things are at as well as answer any questions.

http://seti.vivaxgroup.com/forum/

Unfortunately, my participation in this will only be as a tester since I know nothing about programming. I was crazy enough to buy a GeForce 8800 GTX though!

If a client is created and it works half as well as it's expected to, it will render CPU crunching obsolete in the near future. :eek:

Pam Heinze
Pirate

Post by Pam Heinze » 12-17-2006 06:55 PM

So how is it for gaming?

Let us know if you get that GPU Seti going. I am curious to see how it will do and what it will show as in your stats.:cool:
I wish I had my radio,
I'd tune it to some friendly voices....

Numanoid
Pirate

Post by Numanoid » 12-20-2006 10:55 AM

For gaming, there is no equal! My 19" LCD's maximum resolution is a paltry 1280x1024 and to date, there is no game that doesn't get massive frame rates on it (I'm talking 80+). I'm going to try out Oblivion next, but at my low res it should have no problems at all.

I just checked in over at the other site and progress is definitely being made with the GPU client. It looks like we're learning to walk all over again as the developers get used to CUDA and the requirements by SETI for crunching, but we're slowly getting there.

Return to “Team Art Bell”