Archaeology team believes it has found the ark

General religion and metaphysics topics

Moderator: Super Moderators

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 07-02-2006 11:48 PM

JM & JQ - I'm not going to have to get out the garden hose, am I? Image ;)

As for the ark - They found this 'anomaly' at 13,000+ feet above sea level, right? I was trying to do the math of this global tragedy with little success. But even using a flat model, opposed to a spheroid as the Earth, that would be:

13,000 ft x 5,490,383,247,360,000 square feet (Earth surface area)

which would equate to - 71,374,982,215,680,000,000 cubic feet of water.

I just wonder where it all went? Forty days and as many nights of rain means to me it didn't come down all a once and since water is a fluid it would be spread relatively evenly over the planet even if the torrents were somewhat local. Did it go where we told our youngest son the water went in the wife's aquarium? He didn't get evaporation at three so we said the fish drank it. :D

I don't mean to set out to debunk this at all. I've seen some pix - like this one and this one and damned if it don't look like the hand hewn wooden plankings of a craft of that period. Right down to the black pigmentation that would be from the pitch used to seal the vessel.

There's much better scientists and mathematicians than I working on this.(I certainly hope so, heh) Those are the ones that, with the facts and data, will find the answers.

If you want to see more on this, check out this web site - Christian Worldview Network. Despite being a Christian site, and thereby biased, it has some good stuff. Including many more pictures and even a short movie.

From the CWN site:
...The unusual object is perched on a slope 13,120 feet above sea level. After studying the discovery site, Bonnema observed, “These beams not only look like petrified wood, they are so impressive that they look like real wood—this is an amazing discovery that may be the oldest shipwreck in recorded history.”

Reg Lyle, oil and gas geologist said “the object appears to be a basalt dike, however, it is absolutely uncanny that the object looks like hand hewn timbers, even the grain and color look just like petrified wood….I really need to keep an open mind about this.” ...
A couple of questions, among many, that come to mind:

How long does it take and what conditions and forces need to be in effect for wood to petrify?

How large would a craft have to be to contain 2 of every land animal that would perish from such a flood - and also hold all the food and supplies needed to care for such an enormous menagerie?

majda
Pirate

Post by majda » 07-03-2006 12:42 AM

Dale O Sea wrote:
How large would a craft have to be to contain 2 of every land animal that would perish from such a flood - and also hold all the food and supplies needed to care for such an enormous menagerie?

If the two of every animal were in the form of DNA, it wouldn't take much room. Most of the 'ship' would have been for the comfort of the human inhabitants and the food that would have been needed. ie: Some live chickens for eggs; a few sheep for meat, etc. One has to consider what was going on and who was on the earth at the time of this great deluge to find the answers. ;)
Last edited by majda on 07-03-2006 12:44 AM, edited 1 time in total.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 07-03-2006 01:00 AM

They wouldn't occupy much space if they were shrunk down to microscopic size either, but I don't think either of those technologies were available then, or now for that matter. Are you saying that Noah could extract and store DNA then later use that to clone the animals? That would require intervention by someone with better tech than we have today..or a miracle.

whskyfan
Pirate

Post by whskyfan » 07-03-2006 06:53 AM

Dale O Sea wrote: They wouldn't occupy much space if they were shrunk down to microscopic size either, but I don't think either of those technologies were available then, or now for that matter. Are you saying that Noah could extract and store DNA then later use that to clone the animals? That would require intervention by someone with better tech than we have today..or a miracle.

If this technology were available there wouldn't be a need for a hand made boat either.

From a quick check on google it seems petrification seem to require a specifiic set of circumstances to occur. Being covered in sediment before decomposing and water are required. Nothing said about the time frame, though I'm sure it's a lengthy process.

Size is a good question. food alone would take quite a large vessel. Unless you catch the fish that drank the water..............:D :D :D

I wonder what they have found??
1N73LL1G3NC3 15 7H3 4B1L17Y 704D4P7 70 CH4NG3.
-573PH3N H4WK1NG

vadersp
Pirate

On Noah's Ark...

Post by vadersp » 07-03-2006 04:12 PM

I didn't want to hijack the other thread so I'll start one here.

Edit - this will fit fine with the other thread Vadersp. I'm moving over there. Thanks for contributing. Image -Dale O Sea

Some of the usual points I bring up when Noah comes up:

1. Millions of animals = BIG boat
2. Millions of animals locked in a boat for over a year = needs A LOT of food/water/nesting materials
3. Millions of animals locked in a sealed boat for over a year = A LOT of doo-doo and pee-pee!
4. A typical zoo has a few hundred animals and requires a huge staff to feed/care for and clean up after the animals = How could one family do this for millions of animals?
5. The boat was sealed for a year = nowhere to put all that waste = rampant disease
6. Animals like to "get busy" = the population would have grown at least 10x duiring the year.
7. A bunch of new animals = See # 1-6
8. What about aquatic life? = Some are fresh water, some salt water. A global flood would have killed one half of them depending on how salty (or not) the water was.
9. What about the insects? = Did he bring 2 of each of them as well? See # 6 and repeat 100x for the insects that lay hundreds of eggs at once
10. Noah releases a dove and it comes back with an olive branch, vegetation would be dead & olives don't grow at the tops of mountains, so all the seeds that may have survived would be at the bottom of the ocean.
11. Noah discovered America? = There are different species that live in different parts of the world. Noah would have had to travel the world gathering all these in the same 200+ days he built the ark.
12. Return trip. = He'd have had to take all the animals back. Parrots to South America, polar bears to the north pole, penguins back to Antarctica, kangaroos back to Australia.

I just noticed the time, I'm off to see Supes, I'll add some more later!

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 07-04-2006 06:10 PM

I simply can't believe what has happened in this thread since my last post. It's as if I had gotten up and farted four times rather than wrote four posts. Everything that I wrote has been completely disregarded without comment --- which only proves my entire point!

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 07-04-2006 07:01 PM

joequinn, can't you see we, me anyway, are obviously outclassed by you and don't want your attention, much less your ire. I used to read every word of most of your posts but now your posts are all pretty much the same to me: hate filled, angry tirades presumably designed to drive us to action via anger. They now get only a cursory scan, if that. I can't and don't play that. This little dog stays off you big dogs' porch..

But best wishes to you and good luck on your 'mission'. :)

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 07-04-2006 07:05 PM

Well - how about this? Noah and his ark is an historically true account, of one fellow and his immediate family.

He is forewarned (lucid dream?) that a huge flood is imminent, builds a boat and puts his family and all the animals he can find in it - flood comes - out lasts flood. Rains stop and flood recedes. Noah and Co have survived the 40 days and nights flood.

Big deal.

Doesn't mean that the entire earth was flooded - or that Noah is the sole custodian of the entire earth and its human and animal beings.

Maybe this is just a small bit of history. I do not know of all the details of the biblical story. I imagine it is an allegory with a bit of the truth in it. Most myths have a kernel of truth.

To take a myth as literal truth is foolish.

vadersp
Pirate

Post by vadersp » 07-05-2006 06:28 AM

I think the story, like many biblical/mythological stories is based on a much older story.

There seems to be plenty of evidence suggesting a regional flood in the area of the Straits of Gibraltar several thousand years ago that buried many communities. It think this serverd as the basis for stories like Atlantis, and more to the point the story of Utnapishtim wich was the proto-Noah story. In the Gilgamesh story, the man was a merchant & had a barge on hand as it was part of his business.

In the flood of the area, there no doubt were survivors and I'm sure there may have even been one that took his family, some animals, etc., jumped on a boat and floated around until they found a place to safely dock. Add a thousand years of re-telling and you end up with Noah.

The story as told in the bible is rediculous. A possibility of a man and his family surviving a flood in the region by using a large barge already on hand is not too far-fetched. Finding evidence of that exact boat, on the other hand would seem very improbable. There are very few examples of Roman ships that have survived history, finding a ship thousands of years older than that does not seem likely.

If they did ever find remains of a boat in the mountains, it would no doubt like most historical artifacts be much smaller and underwhelming than imagined.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 07-05-2006 08:53 AM

But the fundamental point behind the story here is being missed... The entire point of the story of Noah and the ark is to convince humankind not to trust its instincts and its reason, to quail superstitiously before Old Nobodaddy in the sky, and to allow themselves to be enslaved by con-artists who claim to be Old Nobodaddy's spokespersons. And most of the people in 2006 who wet their pants when they read the latest screed that remnants of "the Ark" have been found are people who really feel comfortable with their enslavement and who wish everybody else to be as enslaved as they are. These are the witless, mindness multitudes of whom Dostoyevsky spoke in his tale of "The Grand Inquisitor, the witless, mindless multitudes who currently maintain the fascist culture of the United States.

This is my fifth post in this thread, and I am quite sure that it will have as little impact as the previous four. I am sure that Dale O'Sea will pop up like a Jack-in-the-Box to say that people won't read it because I am too negative and bitter. But he gives them too much credit. They won't read it because they want to be driven like sheep in an exploitative, authoritarian, profoundly anti-intellectual world. Whatever dislike that they may have for me personally is quite secondary to their addictive craving for a life of spiritual and political bondage...

Lockhart77
Pirate

Post by Lockhart77 » 07-05-2006 08:39 PM

joequinn wrote: I simply can't believe what has happened in this thread since my last post. It's as if I had gotten up and farted four times rather than wrote four posts. Everything that I wrote has been completely disregarded without comment --- which only proves my entire point!
Dude, you REALLY need to lighten up, get a dog, go on a date...ANYTHING!....you are the most pissed off person with no real valid reason that I have ever encountered. Life is just too dang short. do you really enjoy carrying around all of this hostility??...Lighten up man! quit taking things so serious...try to go enjoy something, and quit taking this Forum so seriously, sheeh, it's just the dang Internet....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

P.S.
Jesus loves you, no matter how crabby you are.....:D
Last edited by Lockhart77 on 07-05-2006 08:42 PM, edited 1 time in total.
"there are moments when, even to the sober eye of reason, the world of our sad humanity may assume the semblance of a Hell"
Edgar Allen Poe

docnaz
Pirate

Post by docnaz » 07-05-2006 11:59 PM

Lockhart77 wrote: Dude, you REALLY need to lighten up, get a dog, go on a date...ANYTHING!....you are the most pissed off person with no real valid reason that I have ever encountered. Life is just too dang short. do you really enjoy carrying around all of this hostility??...Lighten up man! quit taking things so serious...try to go enjoy something, and quit taking this Forum so seriously, sheeh, it's just the dang Internet....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

P.S.
Jesus loves you, no matter how crabby you are.....:D

Some people do take this and other forums way too seriously;)

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 07-06-2006 09:26 AM

The preceding two responses to my last post perfectly embody all of my intensifying criticisms of the Internet in general and of The Fantastic Forum in particular! These people once were kept out of the Internet, but the cultural dam broke fifteen years ago, and now the inmates have taken over the asylum!

Lockhart77
Pirate

Post by Lockhart77 » 07-06-2006 12:45 PM

docnaz wrote: Some people do take this and other forums way too seriously;)
Hi Doc!...ya think?:rolleyes: :D
"there are moments when, even to the sober eye of reason, the world of our sad humanity may assume the semblance of a Hell"
Edgar Allen Poe

Lockhart77
Pirate

Post by Lockhart77 » 07-06-2006 12:48 PM

joequinn wrote: The preceding two responses to my last post perfectly embody all of my intensifying criticisms of the Internet in general and of The Fantastic Forum in particular! These people once were kept out of the Internet, but the cultural dam broke fifteen years ago, and now the inmates have taken over the asylum!
Yes we have!....and we do not take ourselves so seriously, and actully enjoy life despite of all the B.S.....try it sometime.....sheesh
Edgar Allen Poe

Return to “Religion/Metaphysics”