VO's Travels

The Brig, for everything else. Pirates-at-large. Free booze.

Moderator: Super Moderators

voguy
Pirate

VO's Travels

Post by voguy » 06-14-2016 04:57 PM

It's been a long (boring) road at times, but I see the green of the traffic light in front of me. This court case which has consumed time is probably going to be done in the next two weeks. Today my attorney received a note from the judge saying the defendants have 48 hours to accept one of two outcomes. To admit harm, malice, and fraud and pay a sum of money, or to admit nothing and pay a very large sum of money.

Sadly, I think they will go for the large sum of money as they don't want to have to admit what they did was wrong. But isn't that always the case? Someone can cause you great bodily harm, and they are not held responsible. Who does pay is the insurance company or corporate coffers which bank on the fact that if someone is not found "guilty", then other cases can not be prosecuted in the same manor. We have laws, and this is how it's done. Personally, I would like to see the defendants harmed as I was, or at the least the institution and/or process of this medical circus held up into the public eye.

Without going into specifics proving the case was easy as the facts spoke for my claim. Of nearly a quarter of a million deaths each year in hospitals as the result of poor care, there is nary any public outcry. In fact, the defense suggested "it's an expected risk." Think of that for a moment. You go into outpatient for a simple procedure, die, and love ones are told that a certain percentage is expected to die. Now you might ask from what.

Nearly 11,970 were unnecessary surgeries, some born from a profit source vs diagnosed problem. For example, one doctor was routinely having patients implanted with pacemakers because, (in his deposition), he didn't know what caused the syncope or it seemed like the right thing to do at the moment. It was later determined that nearly half of the people didn't need the pacer as the problem was not linked to the heart. In one case the pacer was improperly installed.

There were 7,165 medication errors, which was part of my case. The prescription of antibiotics in some facilities was like passing out candy on Halloween. Some of the medications were dangerously overlapped (two prescribed at the same time), with doctors not checking patient history, or the system not reporting what one doctor prescribed as the second doctor prescribed something else. The computer system which was trotted out as part of Obamacare contributed to the problem in nearly three-quarters of the cases.

There was a reported, (keep this term in mind), 22,913 cases of other errors, which included improperly administered tests, test samples not analyzed according to protocols, results not written up correctly, results not conveyed to hospital staff, and results not being interpreted by staff correctly in treatment.

As you have read in may publications CDIF and other infections are common place. There were 79,998 deaths due to infections in medical facilities. And the sobering fact for me was a 106,588 count due to the negative effects of drugs administered.

Now, before you lambast me for painting this rosy picture of the problems in healthcare, there are many good people. Statistically they take the lion's share. But the 9.77% of the bad ones, and administration coverups of problems, often yanks the good folks into the bad light. While not fair to paint the majority with the sins of the minority, it is an issue we struggle with. And the first thing which is obvious is management/administrations desire to not deal with the problem. As was pointed out in the case, administrator(s) cared more about protecting their image, and deflecting responsibility than to own up and solve the problem. Hence, they were hammered jointly in the decision.

This above part of my post is not to disparage the medical profession. As these are all statistics which came as part of discovery in the case, they are simply facts. And we all can learn from facts. We can look at the facts and analyze the risks and educate ourselves when we need medical help. For example, if you're in for a sore throat and get treated with medicine, and go back in a week later because you're still not well, and the doctor gives you another medicine, ASK QUESTIONS! Does the doctor know you're still on the first medication? Can there be a drug reaction between the two? Did your medical chart indicate the first visit, what it was for, and the treatment rendered? Above all, keep documentation and make notes. I would even suggest a personal recorder in case you get home and think of something the doctor said.

As soon as I get this over and sign the final papers it's my desire to go back to what I've wanted to do. Research, opening the inn, and getting out of the big city. Perhaps I can keep this thread going with a mini-blog of the travels. One thing which will be nice is getting out of New Jersey. Nice place, but far too congested for my liking.

VO
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

voguy
Pirate

Re: VO's Travels

Post by voguy » 06-16-2016 07:24 PM

Another day sitting in court listening to lawyers argue points. But today was perhaps the most surreal of all. It was the negotiation day for penalty.

I've long said that all I've really wanted was admission of negligence, guilt, and tampering of records to cover up guilt. While accepting a judgement sum, I would take lower given the admissions of guilt. But it seems that money is more of a commodity that to admit ones guilt. Quoting the defendant's lawyer,
We concede that the facts in the case are true, and that twenty-seven points fall in favor of the plaintiff, thus proving that injury did happen, and with malice the injury was covered up. However, your honor, we are not prepared to admit guilt in this matter.

Think of that for a moment. We proved injury, malpractice, tampering of records, and malice with intent to commit perjury. In other words, the defendants were proven guilty beyond a shadow of doubt, yet they are unwilling to say, "yes, I did it. I'm guilty."

I couldn't help but think this same thought pattern is prevalent in our politics and government today. The ability to lie, cheat, and steal, yet look into the face of victims and say, "no, I didn't do it."

Tomorrow is our last day of negotiations. Monday is the day this all comes to an end. Then, it's onto my next phase in life.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 06-17-2016 07:42 AM

I don't envy you being in court like this, it is frustrating and dehumanizing at times. Sounds like you did your job right and are on the good side of it at least. I want to hear more about this plan of yours for afterwards!
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 06-17-2016 09:55 AM

There is a movement in healthcare that, once a mistake is discovered, rather than clam-up, assemble the lawyers and close ranks, that the offending party just sit with the patient and if necessary, family members and admit, yes, I screwed-up. Amazingly, when this HAS occurred, lawsuits plummet.

Part of the issue with healthcare is that the industry as a whole is notorious for not accepting blame. Part is the "God complex" that many physicians (and now, nurses) have developed - they know all, they have "Science" to back them up and "How DARE YOU question my judgment......" mentality. Mistakes abound, no doubt about it.

On the other hand, the public also bears some blame. For example, we hear about superbugs and MRSA/ VRE, etc....... Many times we see patients who have MRSA, know they have MRSA and do absolutely nothing to prevent the spread at home. Patients come into the hospital with MRSA and have their kids hanging all over them slobbering kisses and we're all like "Really????????" Medical staff can only do so much but at some point the public also needs to bear some blame for their actions, such as "Doc, I've been smoking for sixty years, I have lung cancer and don't know why..." Really???????

I admit, mistakes do happen - far too often. Much, my personal belief, is an outgrowth of the government and insurance mandates concerning "The amount of time it takes to..........". For example - a NEW benchmark for the ER where I work - 33 minutes. That is the EXPECTED NORMAL TIME it should take to register, triage, assess by nurse, assess by physician, order tests, result tests, diagnose and treat patients. Thirty-three minutes...... Many tests take longer to process than thirty-three minutes. Some (such as blood cultures and other cultures) can take days. What's the expression "A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing..." We have bureaucrats and politicians and the insurance industry crafting how healthcare will delivered - and they have NO clinical experience.

So, we have bureaucrats making-up stupid crap such as this, where more bureaucrats are running turn-around time reports, analyzing same, comparing to national benchmarks and after reviewing and comparing, deciding that your facility "doesn't measure-up" and cuts reimbursement to your facility (while hey pad their pockets for finding gross errors uncovered by an impossible system they developed..... And, these result in cuts to staffing, which, results in more errors......

VO, I hope that they are able to compensate you to the fullest extent possible, but I fear that the system will only get worse - especially if recent history is any indication.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 06-17-2016 05:11 PM

You are completely spot on, and I am aware of some of movement to sitting down with the patient and apologizing. Sadly, this was not the case with me. My attorney compared it to tuna fishing. When the tuna gets caught, it goes into a rage trying to get free. Unfortunately, in today's world many in higher positions feel untouchable, and in some cases they are willing to bend the law if they think insurance will protect them and they will get off the hook. The problem is in our world is the electronic nature of things allows for confirmation of what was said, discussed, and most of all what was planned as a way to twist out the hook. Having that all in the open pretty much cut them off at the knees.

We ended up at 4PM with no admission of guilt, and no remorse, no sense of responsibility. So we're moving forward with the maximum judgement, and they have until Monday at 10AM to decide if they want all evidence unsealed.

I'm happy this is all over. Now I can move on, and move north. Judging from events, the timing is right.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 06-25-2016 08:13 AM

Take the foil off the turkey, close the oven, it's done. I left NJ Friday morning and arrived home late afternoon. Now it's relax time, which also means looking for a place up north.

All in all it ended up good. I would have like to have seen more dining of crow dinner, but it wasn't in their nature. Upon hearing the judgement, and payment terms, second defendant said it was a price they will have to pay in order to walk out of court with dignity. That to me is the textbook example of what the elite and global powers have fostered. What he is saying is; yes we are guilty, yes we admit were guilty in court under penalty of perjury, no we will not admit it publicly, we have no intention to change, so we'll pay and keep doing what we're doing. My hope is more people take on these corporations to force change. At some point they won't be able to keep silent what is happening and buy their way out of the news.

As part of the deal, much of what was divulged as part of discover and testimony will stay sealed for the time being. Copies did make it to a person who will hold them for the purpose of leaks if there is any funny stuff going on which merits opening the gates of hell. I can officially call this done on July 15th when the final payment on whole is due.

At that time I'll start looking up north, and starting the next phase of life. If nothing can be found, I intend to go back to investigating and writing on visitations and possible colonies in South America, and maybe traveling there.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 07-10-2016 09:48 AM

Barring any unforeseen changes, I'll be outta here August 1st. Plans are to head to Buenos Aires, and then take puddle-jumper to Cordoba, where I'll meet up with a fellow journalist I met in Germany. From Cordoba it will be an adventure.

I have to admit that only a few things concern me, the first is the language barrier between the local people. Second is the lack of connectivity, which I understand can be overcome by use of a satellite system. However, due to the propagation delay, (typically 600ms), it's going to be like the old days on FidoNet at 19200 baud dialup. For that reason I may budget my time on web sites. I'm told text is not a problem, but graphics and images bog down the transfers. Another, option is a regional service which relays via Brazil. It's slower, but more dependable.

Bags will be packed by mid July just in case there is an opening sooner, but my planning date is to leave Aug 1.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 07-11-2016 01:47 PM

Voguy, sounds like you are ready to go...... :D I wish you well on your journey. Sure hope you check in and let us know how you are doing. :coolhat:

PS I did P M you, but, not sure I did it properly :confused:
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 07-11-2016 05:10 PM

I notice there is a PM there, now. Never looked. Duh. My only concern with this trip is that it's going to be out of communications most of the time. According to the fellow I'll be with, the relay through Brazil is about as good as it gets, but he suggested turning off all subscriptions to e-mail, change the e-mail client to discard or hold attachments, and turn off images. He's been down there three times before, and I guess there are spots where the tree canopy is more or less a signal-sucker. You have to find a clearing, and point the TWT in the direction of the sat knowing where it is. I'll probably be on HF (shortwave radio) more than the computer. The last time I was this disconnected was going north into Canada, but at least there was a good road system and accurate GPS. All bets are off for this. But I have to say I'm PUMPED for the trip.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 07-13-2016 05:16 PM

Shots, filling out forms, and working with a POD carrier was the tasks today.

Tomorrow more paperwork and correspondence with people in Argentina. I'm also negotiating what I can, and can not take.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 07-18-2016 07:08 PM

More forms, and spent a great deal of time on the phone negotiating for my visit. It's beginning to be real, and I have to say the anxiety is rising. There will be a weight limit of what I can take, and some items will be forbidden by government authorities and the people we're visiting. It should be like any other flight from the U.S. to Buenos Aires, and a small place to Cordoba. What worried me is the statement made that the final leg can be by Land Rover or animal, and you can't take a lot.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 07-19-2016 06:46 PM

Bummer of a day. Trying to talk to folks in South America only to have the phone go dead six times. Turns out it was satellite rain fade, when a large storm gets between the sat phone and the satellite.

After going though this for nearly two and a half hours I decided I needed to have some fun, and I drove over to a place called Sweetwater Sound to look at toys. There are sooooo many cool things to get into.

Tomorrow it's another road trip as I gather what I need for the trip which is less than 2 weeks away.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 07-21-2016 06:12 PM

Tickets purchased. Tomorrow I'll start carefully packing. One bag only, medium size.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 07-22-2016 04:46 PM

Sooooooo..... today I find out I have to get my passport photo retaken because, "your hair is a lot shorter than in your picture."

I look at the agent, "Um... by maybe 1-2 inches?"

"Do you want your passport?"

(Sigh) "Take the picture."

--FLASH--

"Thank you sir. That will be $75.00"

So I guess today I was fleeced.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 07-25-2016 04:39 PM

Packing. Getting real. Less than one week. :|

Return to “The Brig”