Director Stone making 9/11 film

The Brig, for everything else. Pirates-at-large. Free booze.

Moderator: Super Moderators

SETIsLady
Pirate

Director Stone making 9/11 film

Post by SETIsLady » 07-10-2005 09:34 AM

Oliver Stone is to direct a film starring Nicolas Cage as one of two police officers trapped in rubble after the 11 September attacks on New York.
Oscar-winning actor Cage will play Sgt John McLoughlin, who was trapped following the collapse of the twin towers with officer William J Jimeno.

Paramount Pictures said it expects to release the film in 2006.

"It's an exploration of heroism in our country - but it's international at the same time in its humanity," Stone said.

More than 2,700 people died when hijacked planes collided with New York's World Trade Center on 11 September 2001.

Nicholas Cage recently starred in National Treasure

Officers McLoughlin and Jimeno are said to be the last two men rescued, and the film will focus on their families and those who rescued the men, Paramount said.

"I feel someone had to tell the story of the people who were in the Trade Center before and after it collapsed," said Sgt McLoughlin.

"It needs to be told how this horrific tragedy brought Americans and the world together to help those in need."

The film will not be the first to focus on the events of 11 September 2001.

Several independent movies including 2002's The Guys, in which Anthony LaPaglia played a fire captain who lost eight men in the Twin Towers' collapse, have been about the attacks.

Stone has won best director Oscars for Platoon and Born on the Fourth of July.

Cage recently starred in National Treasure and was also in Adaptation, City of Angels and Moonstruck.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainmen ... 669467.stm

spaceprophet
Pirate

Post by spaceprophet » 07-10-2005 02:51 PM

Awesome. I totally dig Oliver Stone.

I'm sure everyone's prolly seen JFK. Do check out Salvadore sometime. A superlatively rad film.

He also made a doc recently entitled Looking for Fidel aka Comandante. I think the American title is the former. It's hella interesting if you like docs.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man. - Jack Handey

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 07-10-2005 02:56 PM

spaceprophet wrote: Awesome. I totally dig Oliver Stone.

I'm sure everyone's prolly seen JFK. Do check out Salvadore sometime. A superlatively rad film.
Do you think Stone has the insight and courage to make a JFK like film about 9/11?

spaceprophet
Pirate

Post by spaceprophet » 07-10-2005 03:00 PM

It would be nice. Stone is pretty ballsy.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man. - Jack Handey

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 07-10-2005 04:17 PM

mudwoman wrote: Do you think Stone has the insight and courage to make a JFK like film about 9/11?

I think he will tell it like he sees it Sandy, he did a great job with Born on the 4th of July & JFK.

I have yet to see one of his movies that hasn't touched on the "theories" of what really happened as well what went in the history books.

he has the "balls" & I imagine he won't let alot of the info out while filming.

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 07-10-2005 04:41 PM

I hope you are both correct. Stone began to show his brilliance when he wrote the script for Midnight Express, IMO. I love his work, and am looking forward to the movie. The man has shown he has balls, and I hope he keeps them while making this movie. It is a golden opportunity.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 07-10-2005 04:52 PM

mudwoman wrote: I hope you are both correct. Stone began to show his brilliance when he wrote the script for Midnight Express, IMO. I love his work, and am looking forward to the movie. The man has shown he has balls, and I hope he keeps them while making this movie. It is a golden opportunity.

I didn't know that he wrote the script for Midnight Express !! Great Flick. Not too many good movies anymore that really make you think.

Malaria_Kidd
Pirate

Independent or connected to Hollywood

Post by Malaria_Kidd » 07-10-2005 07:59 PM

:confused: Is Oliver Stone an independent movie director removed from Hollywood's promise not to make a movie about 9/11/01?

Or has too much time passed?

Independent film makers made no promise and have much to tell in yet another movie many would want to see.

MK
" So if your tired of the same old story,.....Oh, turn some pages!" REO Speed Wagon of Champaign - Urbana, Illinois / Robert Lowery, my cousin, was Hollywood's 2nd Batman.

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 07-10-2005 11:58 PM

I love all his movies. He has the balls to just rewrite history any way he wants. Makes for a lot of fun when a some guy with his head swimming in cocaine is just given a blank check.
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

spaceprophet
Pirate

Post by spaceprophet » 07-11-2005 12:31 AM

Ben, this thread is about Oliver Stone not George W. Bush.

I can see where you'd get confused. They both had a thing for cocaine and a penchant for distorting the facts. One difference though chief:

Dumbya dodged the draft using his status as a spoiled rich kid. Stone volunteered for service in Vietnam.

I'm willing to trust the latter.

Laird
Pirate

Post by Laird » 07-11-2005 02:20 AM

let's hope that Oliver Stone remains focused on the facts ...
1) the attack was against the financial district of NEW YORK
2) the personal plight of all the rescue workers
3) the deaths of all those who died in the twin towers
4) and of course the missle hit on the pentagon
5) the complete screw up by the FAA and the military

I'm sure it will be a hit
"Speak softly and carry a big stick" Teddy Roosevelt

Return to “The Brig”