Expect some major format changes soon...

George Noory/Guests, Commentary,
Radio topics

Moderator: Super Moderators

Ziroc
Pirate

Expect some major format changes soon...

Post by Ziroc » 12-05-2007 08:13 AM

I heard that because of ratings being so bad for the current C2C, that they may soon shake up things, change the format around or something.

Ratings are still plummeting.
They even said "Look at the 'save the children' numbers left. Out of the supposed 5 Million listeners, you would think they would knock out 160 'left to go' in a night---it's just statistics.

If you want to save the show George, move all but 2 shows to open lines. THIS is how the original C2C with Art Bell became so popular. And two, drop these lame ass screened calls. Screened calls guarantee safety for you. No one gets ahead playing it safe, you should know this, being in the entertainment industry.....

Just some news and ideas..
Ziroc™
"I thought there was no Chill town!" - Howie Gordon - BB6/BB7 AS

Shimmering Auro
Pirate

Post by Shimmering Auro » 12-05-2007 08:53 AM

I was going to post this on another thread - but just saw this post- and figure this is a very good place to share.

On Monday afternoon I ran into an old friend. He has worked for our local affiliate for many years. The station is preparing to drop Coast. According to my friend, this is no rumor. It would be totally inappropriate to say what will replace Coast. According to my good pal, a record number of stations across the country are dropping the show.

Looks like Coast is toast. Black, charred, burnt toast. No surprise here. As a matter of fact, it's rather surprising that our local affiliate held on as long as it has.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 12-05-2007 09:32 AM

I believe that Prem Rad intended to sabotage Coast-to-Coast from the start, and I am amazed that the show has lasted as long as it has. Get ready for non-stop infomercials....
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Supernova
Pirate

Post by Supernova » 12-05-2007 09:35 AM

Hi Ziroc,

If this information/news is accurate then I believe that the fundamental problem is the host. I don't think there is any need to go into details as it has been discussed ad nauseum. Format changes can only help a little but if the primary problem is not delt with listeners will not come back.

I wonder what kind of format changes they are looking at - long form interview format going to a shorter form interview format? Shift in subject direction? More open lines (as you suggested)?

Mike.
Last edited by Supernova on 12-05-2007 09:45 AM, edited 1 time in total.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 12-05-2007 10:27 AM

Supernova, the problem is not just with the host: it is with the entire structure of corporate capitalism, which snared Coast-to-Coast in its web in the late 1990s. Corporate capitalism exists to make obscene short-term financial profits for a tiny managerial elite. When a brand name (like Coast-to-Coast) is "corporatized," in the short run, things do get better, since the capitalists are baiting the hook for the minnows. (Such improvement did not happen with Coast-to-Coast, by the way: the decay commenced almost immediately, well before Noory showed up.)

But, eventually, the real game-plan (i.e. obscene short-term profit for a tiny managerial class) begins to reveal itself, and the product begins to be prostituted, with ever greater shamelessness, for the sake of that profit. Eventually, the product is gutted to the core, but the greedy managerial elite does not care, since it has made its profit, so now it can cut-n-run (which is precisely what corporate Amerika is doing en masse in the fall of 2007). And then the product disappears…

Let us forget Coast-to-Coast: it is too far gone now to be saved. But what is it that can take its place? We, of course, would like a parapsychological-ufological-based program that will give us cheap thrills in the middle of the night. So sorry, but that is not going to happen in 2008. If my research into recent ufological phenomena is accurate, we are standing at the edge of massive public disclosure, disclosure that will reveal the entire history of post-war Amerika for the total fraud that it is. And this revelation will do a hell of a lot more than provide cheap thrills.

When the French people realized in 1788 that their ruling class had swindled them into bankruptcy and when the Russian people realized in 1916 that their ruling class had swindled them into military defeat, a hell of a lot more than cheap thrills resulted. The program for which we are seeking --- whether we realize it or not --- is a program that will serve as “information central” for the rumble-in-the-jungle that, one way or the other, sooner or later, is going to take place in this country. That is what we need now, and that is not what Coast-to-Coast can provide us. Once maybe, under Art Bell in the late 1990s, but not now… No way…

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 12-05-2007 10:50 AM

Shimmering Auro wrote:

Looks like Coast is toast. Black, charred, burnt toast. No surprise here. As a matter of fact, it's rather surprising that our local affiliate held on as long as it has.

No big surprise here, the affiliates were dropping like flies when Art left at the end of 2002 and he came back weekends to save the day.

Capt Tuttle
Pirate

Post by Capt Tuttle » 12-05-2007 11:41 AM

My first thoughts after reading the posts -

"I hope I don't lose my classic and Somewhere in time Art Bell's"

C2C has turned into a bi-weekly Art Bell server for me.
"Be good"
-Mom

OMG
Pirate

Post by OMG » 12-05-2007 01:15 PM

That's interesting, I guess it's all depends on your area. The two closest statations (my city and city next door) play C2C AND full C2C reply 4 hours before the show (unless the station in my actual city has hockey on). This might drive people here crazy but the station in my city doens't play Art's Best of show's (they didn't pick up C2C Live with Ian either at that time spot) on Saturday night, but I can get it on my neighbouring city.

I'm guessing my listening area is happy (or just lazy) as usually 1/3 of their broadcast is C2C.

Plainsman
Pirate

Post by Plainsman » 12-05-2007 01:52 PM

At my local station, the morning drive show guy who follows C2C loves to make fun of George and C2C, calling him "the guy in the tin foil hat." If Lou Dobbs new radio show gets picked up and everything moves back a notch, C2C may well be toast here as well.

The only thing that might save C2C is Art Bell riding to the rescue once again. What are the odds of that happening?

chesstron
Pirate

Post by chesstron » 12-05-2007 06:24 PM

I hope all this chatter about plummeting ratings is true and not just wishful thinking, because I would love to see George shown the door. A talk show is only as good as its host, and a good host can make any reasonable format work. George has proven he just can't rise to the level of a nationally syndicated show. There is no significant improvement from him, and he sounds more like a case of devolution. He doesn't have it in him. Time to give someone else a try.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Re: Expect some major format changes soon...

Post by Shirleypal » 12-05-2007 07:34 PM

Ziroc wrote: I heard that because of ratings being so bad for the current C2C, that they may soon shake up things, change the format around or something.

Ratings are still plummeting.
They even said "Look at the 'save the children' numbers left. Out of the supposed 5 Million listeners, you would think they would knock out 160 'left to go' in a night---it's just statistics.

Ziroc where are you getting your infomation.......are you connected to Clear Channel or PremRad? Think the only way to save Coast is to change the host.........

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 12-05-2007 07:57 PM

No, a mere change of host is not enough. Coast-to-Coast needs to regain its soul and become, once more, the threat to Amerika's national security (i.e. the power, the profit and the pleasure of its ruling class) that it was on the night of "the Phoenix Lights."

Nothing short of a revolutionary focus will do. Aux barricades, mis amis!

Ziroc
Pirate

Re: Re: Expect some major format changes soon...

Post by Ziroc » 12-05-2007 09:43 PM

Shirleypal wrote: Ziroc where are you getting your infomation.......are you connected to Clear Channel or PremRad? Think the only way to save Coast is to change the host.........

Na, not connected, but I know someone. Don't want to say more than that.. :)

BTW, I agree. The Host is the issue. He's dumb, and his attitude just doesn't 'jive' with the C2C topics. He really wants to be like rush or laura I think... carbon copies. Nothing unique. boring...

I think the first changes we saw came earlier a month or so ago--with the addition of the new Art Bell 'somewhere in time' shows (Which I LOVE, and leeched off the site) :) But since streamlink was tanking, I guess this was/is a last ditch effort to save streamlink. I didn't ask about that though.

Oh well, we'll see what happens.
Ziroc™
"I thought there was no Chill town!" - Howie Gordon - BB6/BB7 AS

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 12-05-2007 09:47 PM

Ziroc where have you been, they started the Somewhere In Time Replays in mid July.......shortly after Art left..

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 12-05-2007 11:08 PM

Originally posted by joequinn
No, a mere change of host is not enough. Coast-to-Coast needs to regain its soul and become, once more, the threat to Amerika's national security (i.e. the power, the profit and the pleasure of its ruling class) that it was on the night of "the Phoenix Lights."

Nothing short of a revolutionary focus will do. Aux barricades, mis amis!

Try Thom Hartmann, Randi Rhodes...

http://www.airamerica.com/

For the Art Bell genre....hmmmmmm....?
Maybe Art Bell would be able to get something going.
:cool:

Return to “George Noory/C2C AM Topics/Radio topics”