Expect some major format changes soon...

George Noory/Guests, Commentary,
Radio topics

Moderator: Super Moderators

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 12-12-2007 11:18 AM

Soooooooooo how about that George Noory ;)

I personally hope that they do something, I listened to Streamlink the other day and they cut off the last hour of the show, whats that about ? Its been happening alot. Guess they are archiving it with the newsletter people were supposed to be getting :rolleyes:

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 12-12-2007 01:48 PM

Hi Setislady,

Which night was that? I actually listened in last night (must be a glutton for punishment) and I'll say this, the last hour was so bad, they should have cut it off, LoL. For the very first time I heard a call that I was convinced was pre-arranged by the studio. It was so fake I could barely believe my ears (the first call of the fourth hour) For a good laugh, you should listen to last nights replay just to hear that first call.

You have to imagine that the show is at least beginning to the reach the point where the execs at Prem Rad and Clear Channel will eventually start meddling to try and boost the ratings (if they haven't already). If the status quo continues (actually, the show seems to be getting worse) you have to wonder if the program will last through 2008 with George as it's host.

Personally, I don't think Coast To Coast will be cancelled for years to come. The show is probably the nations only true cash-cow in the middle of the night, and since it will always be associated with Art Bell, and the name alone has good value, I imagine they will simply tweak it and bring in another host unless Mr. Bell decides to get back in the center chair at some point........ Of course if Art started a new show in a competing time slot, now that could spell the end for Coast.

Maybe we should start our own overnight talk show? :)

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 12-12-2007 05:01 PM

Kaztronic wrote: Maybe we should start our own overnight talk show? :)
Hi Kaztronic :) What a great idea !!!

The show I was referring to was Oil Secrets with Lindsay Williams.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 12-12-2007 08:50 PM

SETIsLady wrote: Hi Kaztronic :) What a great idea !!!

The show I was referring to was Oil Secrets with Lindsay Williams.

It is a great idea Kaz.....are you going to be our host?

WestBorder
Pirate

Post by WestBorder » 12-12-2007 11:04 PM

Kaztronic wrote: Personally, I don't think Coast To Coast will be cancelled for years to come. The show is probably the nations only true cash-cow in the middle of the night, and since it will always be associated with Art Bell, and the name alone has good value, I imagine they will simply tweak it and bring in another host unless Mr. Bell decides to get back in the center chair at some point........ Of course if Art started a new show in a competing time slot, now that could spell the end for Coast.
I heartily agree with you, Kaz. As long as C2C is bringing in any amount of advertising revenue for PremRad, it will stay on the air, regardless of how deeply the show continues to sink to the depths of banality, blandness and boredom.

Don't forget, C2C does have some major sponsors (i.e. Geico Insurance). PremRad and other broadcast corporations will keep shows in their stable of programming as long as they can sell advertising to various national sponsors. Case in point: The Don and Mike Show on CBS Radio. I've listened to it for 11 years. Currently its averaging approx. 30 affiliates around the country, but it stays on the air. Why?

a. It is sydicated in several large cities of the U.S.
b. Major corporations (i.e. Ford Motor Company) continue to pay big bucks to CBS to advertise on the show.

It's all about the Benjamins, folks. As longs as C2C brings in the Benjamins, it will stay on the air - regardless of ratings or general host incompetency or other various and sundry factors.
Anchors Aweigh!

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 12-12-2007 11:11 PM

They won't keep major sponsors unless the listeners are buying...advertisers are more in important than ratings. Coast may not go away but the host might. I'd be interested to know how old the average listener is, young audiences are not buyers....Art had an older listener base.

WestBorder
Pirate

Post by WestBorder » 12-12-2007 11:37 PM

Shirleypal wrote: They won't keep major sponsors unless the listeners are buying...advertisers are more in important than ratings. Coast may not go away but the host might. I'd be interested to know how old the average listener is, young audiences are not buyers....Art had an older listener base.

Shirley, you make an important point here. I think with The Other, PremRad is attempting to appeal to a younger audience, and is shying away from, if not actively ignoring, Art's older audience base. The fact that Geico chooses to advertise on the program is a strong indicator that PremRad is working to target a younger audience...

You made another good point as well - if the advertisers aren't seeing a bump in numbers because of the popularity of a program, their account won't be renewed, which would make things very tenuous for the regular weeknight host.
Anchors Aweigh!

thalia
Pirate

Post by thalia » 12-13-2007 07:26 AM

WestBorder, isn't C2C bundled into packages with other PremRad programs? So advertisers heard during C2C may not have specifically chosen it but may have only accepted it as part of the package deal.

Kind of like when auction houses make up "lots" containing one or two good items among less valuable stuff.
"But I don’t want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin." (Aldous Huxley)

MAD
Pirate

Post by MAD » 12-13-2007 10:22 AM

Originally posted by Kaztronic

Personally, I don't think Coast To Coast will be cancelled for years to come. The show is probably the nations only true cash-cow in the middle of the night, and since it will always be associated with Art Bell, and the name alone has good value, I imagine they will simply tweak it and bring in another host unless Mr. Bell decides to get back in the center chair at some point........ Of course if Art started a new show in a competing time slot, now that could spell the end for Coast.

Maybe we should start our own overnight talk show? :)

There are already too many UFO shows out there, but none with the inpact of C2C even DREAMLAND.

But I am posting on the Art thread this:

Ever wonder why they started the 6-10pm slot? Could it be for Art in the future when his contract for this last period is ended? He could do that with a family and all...............IMAGINE!
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein ~

WestBorder
Pirate

Post by WestBorder » 12-13-2007 02:19 PM

thalia wrote: WestBorder, isn't C2C bundled into packages with other PremRad programs? So advertisers heard during C2C may not have specifically chosen it but may have only accepted it as part of the package deal.

Kind of like when auction houses make up "lots" containing one or two good items among less valuable stuff.

That's a god point, thalia. Several radio programs are bundled together by PremRad and other companies as a package. It would be interesting to know if C2C is, because of its overnight time slot. My guess is that it possibly isn't, because I know of two radio stations in my geographic area that carry C2C but don't carry any other PremRad programming, including 'Somewhere in Time.'
Anchors Aweigh!

Lakesider
Pirate

Post by Lakesider » 12-13-2007 02:59 PM

Originally posted by WestBorder Several radio programs are bundled together by PremRad and other companies as a package. It would be interesting to know if C2C is, because of its overnight time slot. My guess is that it possibly isn't, because I know of two radio stations in my geographic area that carry C2C but don't carry any other PremRad programming, including 'Somewhere in Time.'

In Canada, the Corus network has 52 radio stations under its banner (Corus is the biggest radio network in Canada). Seven of the 52 stations are all-talk format. Some of these 7 stations carry Coast, Dr Laura or Rome. I only found a couple of instances where a station carried both Coast & Dr. Laura or Coast & Rome.

Both The Fan & The Team radio networks carry ESPN Overnight and one could easily make the argument that ESPN is carried on more stations and heard by more people in Canada then Coast is during the overnight slot.

I found one independently owned Canadian station, CKTB Niagara Falls, that carried Coast.
Last edited by Lakesider on 12-13-2007 03:10 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 12-13-2007 03:43 PM

The station I listen to is CKLW 800 AM out of Windsor, Ont.....they never air any commercials from Coast, they cut local for every break, which is great for me as I don't have to hear the 'other' when listening on the weekend. CKLW does not air any other Clear Channel shows that I am aware of. Checked PremRad they do not air any other show on CKLW. Wonder how they get away without airing any commecials from Coast.

Lakesider
Pirate

Post by Lakesider » 12-13-2007 03:51 PM

Shirleypal wrote: The station I listen to is CKLW 800 AM out of Windsor, Ont.....they never air any commercials from Coast, they cut local for every break, which is great for me as I don't have to hear the 'other' when listening on the weekend. CKLW does not air any other Clear Channel shows that I am aware of. Checked PremRad they do not air any other show on CKLW. Wonder how they get away without airing any commecials from Coast.
Does this include the Tanya Roberts Ads?

OMG
Pirate

Post by OMG » 12-13-2007 04:00 PM

Shirleypal wrote: The station I listen to is CKLW 800 AM out of Windsor, Ont.....they never air any commercials from Coast, they cut local for every break, which is great for me as I don't have to hear the 'other' when listening on the weekend. CKLW does not air any other Clear Channel shows that I am aware of. Checked PremRad they do not air any other show on CKLW. Wonder how they get away without airing any commecials from Coast.

I'm not really sure as I heard it with and without C2C ads depending on the station (I actually like the C2C ads for comical reasons, and sometimes when they have their own ads they return late to the show) I would guess they sell the C2C show seperate to non-US stations and then the non-US station can put up their own ads on that time.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 12-13-2007 04:09 PM

Lakesider wrote: Does this include the Tanya Roberts Ads?

There are no ads peroid for Coast on this station, thought I made it clear, Lakesider, never heard a Roberts Ad as I don't listen during the week. I don't even know who she is.

Return to “George Noory/C2C AM Topics/Radio topics”