The Art Colony

Fantastic Forum Pirate Radio, Art Bell Fan Book

Moderator: Super Moderators

Morgan
Pirate

The Art Colony

Post by Morgan » 07-22-2002 10:22 PM

My fellow insomniacs:

During the most recent Art Bell drought a discussion about a post-Art world arose.

Hey, it's happened before, and unless Art finally finds a real time machine or gets the afterlife figured out... including how to come back... a time will come when Art will be only past tense.

The first thing I thought of was us. Art Bell fans... starting with those right here handy on FF. Since accidentally bumping into a Dreamland replay, (Bob Lazar, I believe)I've been hooked.

Art saved me from all news format stations--I believe a car is no place to listen to music--and stimulated my mind to where it will hardly fit in my brain. All news is fine if you want to hear what is going on according to ABC... nine million times a day... on every station. Nobody, however, runs Art Bell topics but Art.

I think I became a more interesting person after becoming a listener... and other listeners are more interesting than non-listeners. People I have known for years became more intersting after I tricked them into listening to Art. So I wonder: what IS it about this guy?

If you folks will help, I'd like to try to find out. I'd like to start this as a somewhat directed discussion... but just barely somewhat. Not so much a debate or anything, but more like show and tell.

How did you get started listening? How long have you been listening? What do you like most/least? What did you do while Art was gone forever last time? Pick any number.

Mostly: Why do you listen?

The vague idea here, if we are as interesting as I think we are, will be a book about... well, people who listen to Art Bell. Here on FF... out there in real life... all over. Mostly here.

I'll be posting an email address as soon as I get one set up just for this. I want one I can get to on the web, so it will likely take me a day or two to get it going.

Until then, I'd really like to know your answers, as well as your thoughts on an Art Bell Fan book as a project.

As always, I yam:

------------------
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**

Morgan
Pirate

Post by Morgan » 07-22-2002 10:50 PM

Great start, maryals... do you remember about when you started listening? I've been trying to figure that out, myself.

BTW: I highly recommend Dreamland. Whitley's still learning, but he grows on ya. He had definitely picked up on the Dreamlandish topics, though...definitely.

------------------
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**

Morgan
Pirate

Post by Morgan » 07-23-2002 12:11 AM

Okay, then.
Official Experimental Email for this is most of the way up.

[email protected]

I'm absolutely certain this will probably work fine.

------------------
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-26-2002 09:43 AM

I've been listening to Art for a long time - well maybe not ALL night, but an hour or so and tape the rest via satellite feed. Tapes go back to 1996 - and no don't have ALL the shows but some of the best of them. Its great to pull out some of the old tapes and listen to such greats as Father Malachi - or the original Mel's hole or - well you get the idea...

Morgan
Pirate

Post by Morgan » 07-26-2002 08:22 PM

Why do you listen, Cherry? Insomnia?

------------------
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 07-27-2002 01:39 AM

The first time I experienced Art Bell and his radio show - was on television! - believe it or not. Yep. The first Art Bell radio program I ever listened to was broadcast on PBS as a special. Art Bell the new overnight talk show phenomena. I believe he was broadcasting at that time from KDYN(?)- well, the Las Vegas station.

The show opened with a scene of Art Bell entering the studio and his broadcast room, and dimming the lights. He also puttered around with the switches and dials, the mike, and other equipment. Then he was live on the air - with the Art Bell show.

It would be several more months before I would tune in to the radio Art Bell Show.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-27-2002 09:52 AM

Morgan - first of all I happen to like ART Bell and the show format. I find many topics to be of personal interest. Besides I am a night owl - always have been. (You could add that I have a businesson the internet - and while I have posted a 10-10 calling time people don't read that it means CST.)

Morgan
Pirate

Post by Morgan » 07-29-2002 06:54 PM

Cherry,
Well, when I started listening... after accidentally finding him a time or two... the topics and format appealed to me right away, too. I can identify with that.

I have been curious as to why otherwise fairly normal people suchs as you and (ahem) me will lose sleep, reschedule our lives, and hang on listening even after we've decided that perhaps the guest is perhaps a fruitcake. Okay... I don't know if you do that stuff... but I do.

I still do except when George is on. I stuck with Mike right up to the end... but George is too much. There is a limit even to fanactic fanaticism.

Still, other than a very mild interest in UFO's... of about Star Trek depth... and no previous interest in any of the other topics... I know it hit me like a ton of bricks and I was hooked rather quickly.

I like different guests for different reasons... sometimes the guests get me all intersted and I do quite a bit of research (not to mention buying their books) and sometimes I just listen and enjoy them as I might an obvious medicine show snake oil salesman... and I DON'T buy the book (or the oil).

Dunno where the interest came from. Maybe from an ever growing distrust fo all my other sources of information? Perhaps?

Also: Art always mentions his fans as being unique, and so do his regular guests. We do stuff. We call our government representatives, we buy the books (and our checks are good) we crash websites. What a bunch.

Personally, I find us fascinating... and I'm trying to figure us out. This could well be futile, but I'm too lazy to climb mountains, and too chicken to explore caves... so I'll just try this.

------------------
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**

Phr0zenNemesis
Pirate

Post by Phr0zenNemesis » 08-03-2002 08:35 PM

-How did you get started listening?

I found Coast to Coast accidentally one night when I couldn't sleep... actually George was on, but the topic (I forget what) was interesting enough for me to remember it.

-How long have you been listening?

I've only been listening to the show for maybe a little over a month now

-What do you like most/least?

Most: The topics and the fact that you get more than one viewpoint on stuff, which keeps it interesting.

Least: When George is being boring and talking about clowns and stuff. :-D

-What did you do while Art was gone forever last time?

Had never even heard of the show back then. :-D

-Why do you listen?

Mainly like I said above, I've always been fascinated with UFOs, crop circles, ghosts, and all sorts of "unknown" stuff. Image

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 08-09-2002 10:59 AM

Morgan - are you taking notes? Seems the FF has been slow this month so far. Maybe people are busy with the outdoors and summertime pursuits.

Do you think Bell has been a 'post babyboomer' phenom? As in - 'where do we go now that the 70s are over'? Have we reached the millennium threshold and are now clueless? Ha ha - Image

Morgan
Pirate

Post by Morgan » 08-09-2002 11:22 AM

Linnea,
I'm paying attention. I work in the energy business, and this has been a rather exciting period.. so I've been kind of busy with real life. I hate it when that happens.

I suspect there has always been an Art Bell audience, even before there was an Art Bell. He didn't create us, he found us. Long John Nebel, Forteans, the whole UFO crowd from the fifties... nah, we've been around forever.

I just don't know for sure who the heck we are. We have our social fringe...everyone does... but the bulk of listeners I have met are otherwise pretty normal. Generally well educated, generally above average in intellegence, curious about many things... and generally lousy at grammar and spelling. Pretty much what I find on this board.

I think this project, a book about listeners, would pick up if we pushed it, but I haven't done that because I haven't been able to dedicate the time to it right now. When I can (soon, I truly hope) I will contact some of the pirates and see if they are as interested in this as I am.

I really think we are a unique group, so diverse that the only thing that makes us a group currently is Art Bell... and possibly insomnia.

------------------
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**

Cpt Spike Mike
Joint Chief

Post by Cpt Spike Mike » 08-09-2002 12:57 PM

For me, it all started back in 1996, when a man took a picture of a comet that showed an anomalous companion.

His name was Chuck Shramek, and the comet was Hale-Bopp(-Shramek).

Chuck was a rather witty newsman for Houston FM radio station, 1O1-KLOL. He was also an amateur astronomer with about 6 grand in equipment. He noticed that there were no good shots of this new bright comet posted anywhere on the internet, so he thought he would take some images and share them. When he did, he noticed there seemed to be an unknown object travelling with the comet. He sent the photos to Art Bell in late November. Art had him on the air to discuss it, and also asked Emory professor (of remote viewing) Courtney Brown about it, and he replied that it was a spaceship. Later, in March of 1997, the story exploded with the mass suicide of Herb Applewhite and the Heaven's Gate cult. Most of the attention then focused on Art, but Chuck did have a TV press conference, where he was misquoted by the Associated Press. When he said, "I'm horrified, but I don't feel responsible." he was quoted as merely saying, "I'm horrified."

Chuck would later go on to talk about UFOs and other paranormal topics, and was the first person in the media (besides Art Bell) to report on the chemtrail phenomena. Later he suffered from a rapidly spreading cancer, which led to his death within three months.

He was my friend, and a very unique individual. I continue to listen and hope to help carry on the search for answers in his memory.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">"Question authority."- Chuck Shramek</font>

lutefisk
Pirate

Post by lutefisk » 08-09-2002 04:51 PM

I started listening to Art in 1994. I've always had trouble sleeping and I was up taking care of my dying father. I "stumbled" ontoo Art's show one night and just felt like I had reached a little pool of sanity and fun amongst all the political proselytizing that usually passed for late night radio.

Art's show was the one thing I could count on during that time. It gave me something else to think about during a very sad time. I had already been following Richard Hoagland's work and was very pleasantly surprised to hear him on Art's show. I'll never forget how Art used to get so exasperated at Richard not reaching the point of what he was saying. Art would threaten to "strangle" Richard etc. It was so funny to hear them go back and forth!

Return to “Fantastic Forum Productions”