Recent Rainbow & Sun Dog

Moderator: Super Moderators

Malaria_Kidd
Pirate

Recent Rainbow & Sun Dog

Post by Malaria_Kidd » 06-21-2004 12:09 AM

I start by saying," I could have been in the end of a rainbow in 2 city blocks distance last week". How many here have been where I did'nt take time to go?

In 1980 we saw a tripple rainbow in the Bad Lands National Park. That was a once in a lifetime experience that was fantastic.

Last week was equally fantastic, and there were many close witness' to a quarter mile long brilliant rainbow that touched down (no gold) 200 yards away! I felt compelled to leave the mine loaded and it was difficult to turn toward the mine scales. I kick myself now that I did'nt cross the haul road, where the 100 ton trucks run, on foot to be in the rainbow's touch spot.

The trees greenery in the road's edge were a major mix of colors!
It was unreal!

I weighed the load and turned North to see the rainbow again. It was one of the smallest and most brilliant I'd ever seen. It was down again in a corn field. Again the green wooded back drop was filled with all the colors! I was thrilled to experience this so closely.

Last Saturday in the early evening my third Sun Dog was found in the northwest sky. The sun's anomele lasted over 10 minutes. I brought it to several miner's attention. It was the largest I'd ever seen!

Question # 1: Do you see many Sun Dogs where you live?

Question # 2: Have you been on the ground where your rainbow touched?

I hope to hear about your experiences with nature's sky concerning these fleeting prizmatic colors. MK
" So if your tired of the same old story,.....Oh, turn some pages!" REO Speed Wagon of Champaign - Urbana, Illinois / Robert Lowery, my cousin, was Hollywood's 2nd Batman.

Malaria_Kidd
Pirate

From an aquaintance a Rainbow veteran

Post by Malaria_Kidd » 06-22-2004 05:29 AM

Maryals,

What a perfect description of a beautiful natural wonder! I think everybody thinks Rainbow's are fantastic. Noah was amazed too like we are today!

Being in a touch spot has always been a thought of mine. I could have done it and I have a major regret about that missed opportunity!

The night shift road boss would not have said, " Why was your truck parked while you walked into the end of that Rainbow?" He would have liked to experience that too I'll bet.

Did you have to go far to enter the end of the one's you have encountered?

What a worthwhile trip to look out of the bow!

This thread will be an un-official poll..............Thanks! MK

PS I came back for this added edit. Are you a Floyd Fan? Shine On!
Last edited by Malaria_Kidd on 06-22-2004 05:31 AM, edited 1 time in total.
" So if your tired of the same old story,.....Oh, turn some pages!" REO Speed Wagon of Champaign - Urbana, Illinois / Robert Lowery, my cousin, was Hollywood's 2nd Batman.

Malaria_Kidd
Pirate

Rainbow coalition on FF,.. members members welcome

Post by Malaria_Kidd » 06-22-2004 02:55 PM

Maryals,

Right in it's splendor,........Fantastic! I bet you had family members with you too. You have to be part of few here now and then that have been touched by one.

Divert anytime when Floyd is spoken. Syd Barrett finally chose two American's first names from the South. Pink Anderson and Floyd Council were beloved R&B singers. Good going Syd!

I heard all the band's names they went by recently,....a list as long as your arm!

Shine On up in Alaska!

MK

Malaria_Kidd
Pirate

A winter sun dog on Coasts home page

Post by Malaria_Kidd » 03-03-2005 08:36 AM

A short note from the bilge.

http://www.coasttocoastam.com has listed the topics words Three sun dogs. I did a double take when I saw it there.:cool:

The winter picture shows three of which the sun has to be the middle sun dog.

This is the name our Native Americans give to these prizmatic wonders of rarity. The few that I have seen are different but were just much higher in the evening western sky.

I viewed my three in the Summer. :)

MK Carry on pirates!

Malaria_Kidd
Pirate

Tuesday,..............had one like last years

Post by Malaria_Kidd » 06-12-2005 03:27 AM

I meant to post this earlier in the week. It was June 20th of last year, but this short rainbow Tuesday appeared in the same place as the short rainbow last year!

Kenny brought it to my attention as the rain was pouring down. The Sun was doing well lighting the coal mine in between dark clouds. Kenny in the giant CAT said, "The rainbow's right there in the haul road!"

I had to find it in the West coast mirror, thru the water drops, as I headed the wrong direction to the scales. I saw it as best as I could, and it WAS in the road. The green trees were multi-colored and it was another short bow at less than a quarter mile.

It was exactly the same as last years! In the very same spot! Or spots as there are two ends. I would have been drenched if I had turned the truck around and walked to it. It was around a block and a half away!

I am looking forward to meeting the retired Norman, Oklahoma meterologist this coming week. His scientific study of the nations worst single tornado will have him spending a week mapping and recording living witness' and hearing hand me down stories of the destruction.

MK

:cool:

Return to “Earth/ Weather/ Climate”