Military Themed Easter Baskets.

Weird and unusual, whacked out news!

Moderator: Super Moderators

lutefisk
Pirate

Military Themed Easter Baskets.

Post by lutefisk » 03-09-2003 01:57 AM

If this were a better world, War wouldn't be "Fun." I've studied religion and I know the roots of Easter curl into some pretty strange soil, but, this is so sick and surreal, yet, not surprising given the kind of society we live in today.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Conten ... 8705899037

Bellisima
Pirate

Post by Bellisima » 03-09-2003 02:28 PM

This is despicable. Surreal is the right word.
Everything is distorted.

I tried to laugh it off, but ended up crying.

Peace

ImageA silent mouth is sweet to hear.
Irish saying

Corvid
Anchors Aweigh

Post by Corvid » 03-09-2003 09:37 PM

My heart tells me that what is on my mind is not wrong. This profiteering from war is a crime against children.. and a crime against humanity.

Anything for a dollar.

What will be next? I am sure that we can think of other money makers. Any suggestions?

A poor "Me love you long time GI, no s**t" Barbie? Gonna be a BIG seller!

How about a Cabbage Patch/Landmine kid? It would be cheap to produce because no legs would be required.

Of course another big item could be the "Halliburton Oil Rig Big Money Makin' Exec Ken Doll".

There is no end to the possibilities... a follow up "Returning GI Joe (with syndrome) doll" would only have to be an emaciated stick figure.

A very costly one, however, and the only one I would buy will be the "Disgraced Smirk Before the International War Crimes Tribunal Puppet".

All them strings cost money.

I go drink now.
Anchors Aweigh

lutefisk
Pirate

Post by lutefisk » 03-09-2003 09:51 PM

Yes, it's very sad, Bellisima. There are those who obviously want the little children to grow up thinking War is not only "Fun" but associated with a "Holy" Holiday.

I get very nervous when guns, military toys, candy, and religious holidays are mixed.
Of course, I know it can never go back to the way it was when I was small, but, for crying out loud, our kids get bombarded with War and killing from Sun up to Sun down and Easter baskets with Military dolls packing guns alongside the candy carries such a powerful and pleasant message. What kind of a world is it when Store Managers (who probably have little ones of their own) say: "We're only givin em' what they want." A buck has become more valuable than children's needs and children have long been a much sought after "commodity."

lutefisk
Pirate

Post by lutefisk » 03-09-2003 09:58 PM

Corvid, right on!

Malaria_Kidd
Pirate

Post by Malaria_Kidd » 03-10-2003 04:32 AM

Dear All, The ones that think up wild ideas for making money remind me of modern cattle barons.......Big hat...and no cattle! MK
" So if your tired of the same old story,.....Oh, turn some pages!" REO Speed Wagon of Champaign - Urbana, Illinois / Robert Lowery, my cousin, was Hollywood's 2nd Batman.

The_One
Pirate

Post by The_One » 03-11-2003 06:02 AM

"The reaction to a query at Walgreens contrasted sharply, with company representatives retreating instead of digging in. 'Going forward next year, we don't plan to have Easter baskets with toy soldiers or a military theme. The thinking on these Easter baskets was more toy-related and we didn't really think about it otherwise,' said Walgreens spokesperson Carol Hively. 'We apologize to anybody who is offended or felt that this was inappropriate.'"

Whoa!!! That is just unbelievable. Normally, I really like the G.I. Joe toys. I find them to be classic, patriotic and a tribute to our troops. But this is way too much and I think even our troops might be offended by this. Military toys in EASTER BASKETS???? War is not fun or a toy or something to be taken lightly, particularly not on one of the holiest days of the Christian year!

Perhaps Jesus had the right idea: "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do!" Image

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*
Kacy C.
"Believe those who are seeking truth, doubt those who find it."
...Andre' Gide

[This message has been edited by The_One (edited 11 March 2003).]
~*~*~*~*~*
Kacy C.
"Believe those who are seeking truth, doubt those who find it."
...Andre' Gide

Return to “Weird Nooz”