Garden Time Coming

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 05-23-2014 01:40 AM

I've already had roses blooming, and have some sunflowers about ready to bloom. Can't get out to do the gardening anymore. Luckily, I have a great gardener who keeps our front garden looking pretty.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 05-23-2014 09:18 AM

Got the tomatoes planted except the climbers - still contemplating a location for them... don't recall planting any climber tomatoes before. So will something new.

Have more peppers to plant, but think I slightly overdid things yesterday as I was a tad tired and stiff when I got up. SO will wait until later today.

Leslie - hope you can get some planting done -- and weather stays good.

---
Bobbi - I have some annuals blooming outside - they do brighten up the day!

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 05-25-2014 09:45 PM

Up to my arm pits working on a green roof.......
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

LeslieV
Pirate

Post by LeslieV » 05-26-2014 08:20 AM

Working the garden like crazy now that the weather has calmed down a good bit. We've been getting rain but not the severe flooding other areas of CO are getting.

Still way behind in getting beds ready as the rain has made them too wet to work fast so it is a slow go.

I had to re-pot all the seedlings into bigger pots while the work goes on on their beds. They should be stronger at least I hope when it comes time to transplant.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-26-2014 08:55 AM

megman wrote: Up to my arm pits working on a green roof.......

really? I have always wanted to do something like this on a shed or somewhere... any details/pics?
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 05-26-2014 10:37 AM

megman -- rooftop gardens? nice --many cities now have them. Would enjoy seeing some pictures!

===
After the one inch rain gotta wait for ground to dry just a little more.

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 05-26-2014 11:08 PM

I'll get some pics this week.

It's part roof garden, but mostly green roof. Only 4" of soil due to weight limitations.
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 06-02-2014 02:24 PM

got the 20+ ghost pepper seedlings planted - some well hmm very tiny but ehh... - such a late season this year... Also the last 5 climbing tomatoes planted as well.

---
RAIN!! yes got about 3/4" of rain - much needed!

----
now as for the rest of mother nature this week - wellllllll.....wait and see!

LeslieV
Pirate

Post by LeslieV » 06-02-2014 03:46 PM

Saturday got 0.83 inches of rain with some pea size hail so a few plants had their leaves damaged but nothing major.

Getting the potted plants in slow but sure. We are in the low 80's now and warmer Tuesday.

I give the new transplants a nice drink of fish fertilizer in the hole before putting them in, seems to help.

For the little ones, use a milk bottle with the bottom cut out and the top cap off to protect them until they catch on better. The milk bottles will soon break up in the sun UV so I found that vinegar bottles work better and last for a few years.

Of course vinegar is part of the cleaning helper around here.

Still digging beds for more of the potted ones but at least progress.

Potatoes are up now and will soon need mulch to keep moisture in the ground. Got lots of that as the tree trimmers were around last fall and I got 20-ton dumped along the driveway. Should last a few years also. :crazyjump

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 06-02-2014 03:53 PM

Spent the weekend weeding and mulching. Weeds here are crazy in spring, everything is competing for space since it has so little time to grow. Let them go for one weekend and they take over everything.

These things are everywhere http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equisetum_arvense - they look cool, but can fill up an entire bed in a week or two if left alone.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

LeslieV
Pirate

Post by LeslieV » 06-02-2014 04:03 PM

Fan, sure understand the weeds. Here in CO it is the CO bind weed with roots that go up to 50-feet deep. It is an endless battle keeping ahead of them but I have found a way to tame them some.

I did the beds deep and dig up as much root material as possible, one gets to recognize it after a couple years. This tends to starve the main root system so it dies but it does take a couple years work.

I also got old surplus carpet from the carpet places the stuff they pulled out and put that down between the beds to kill the weeds and this has helped as the bind weed and others start to suffer for spaces to come out to get light and that helps kill them off.

I have a lot more carpet to put down this year so should get ahead of this in the next year or so then maybe it will be enjoyable.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 06-02-2014 11:09 PM

Fan wrote: Spent the weekend weeding and mulching. Weeds here are crazy in spring, everything is competing for space since it has so little time to grow. Let them go for one weekend and they take over everything.

These things are everywhere http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equisetum_arvense - they look cool, but can fill up an entire bed in a week or two if left alone.

My front lawn is sprouting the Equisetum arvense all over the place. A pain.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 06-03-2014 01:33 AM

if it can be used medicinally, maybe you should sell it with instructions on how to use it. A side business?
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 06-03-2014 08:44 AM

Weeds can be a never-ending battle at times. You pull them, even get the roots & they still come back.

Very warm and humid - no breeze at all. Very enhanced risk of heavy rain, tornadoes, floods and hail... but even the weather people are not sure if it will hit this far south. (They say north of the KC area up by St Jo into NE and IA -but are not sure.)

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 06-19-2014 01:55 PM

After two almost 3 days of working in the gardens - got the weeds pulled from between rows of pepper plants and got the weed/feed paper down the separated areas. Too hot to work a lot and the humidity - whew. When talking 40-45ft rows - two rows of peppers, open area, two more rows open area... you get the idea of weeds.

We have something called nut grass and you have to literally dig and make sure you get the roots. One little root will create a new plant... and yes almost impossible to get ALL the roots but did best possible. With all the rains and ground so muddy you could not work outside - meant a lot to be done while possible.

Picked some peppers already! Not a lot but first for the year. Other plants seem to be growing okay in spite of muddy areas, but then so are weeds between plants in corn and bean areas. EHH and what about now-- it rained!

More work to do outside when the sun shines again and dries a bit more.

Return to “Garden & Galley”