Homegrown Terrorism

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 03-28-2008 03:20 PM

DesertSage wrote: SquidInk, maybe you should have called this thread 'Homegrown FREEDOM?':D

:D

Maybe I should have. However, "legislation" like the Farm Bill of 2007, and articles like THIS ONE concerning subsidies, which appeared this month in the New York Times, show the government painting "home-growers" in a different light.

Dervaes is circumventing the system completely. He does not use Fortune 500 companies in order to procure (terminator, round-up ready) seed, finance, process, transport, or distribute his veggies. It's a local, nearly closed loop micro-economy. Mix in a little wind power, or (in a different location) a water wheel, and this guy might be nearly self-sufficient - and not living like a feral human, holed up in some remote location! Since the federal government taxes economic transactions of every type, in order to fill it's war chests, in order to go appropriate oil fields, this model of behavior is startling. Believe me... such an ad-hoc network of subversives is 100% unacceptable to the system. He may even be... get ready... BARTERING!

Remember, in the government's opinion, the way to fight terrorist attacks is to go to the mall and spend money. So, the opposite must also be true, in their opinion.

He has completely cut out the parasitic middlemen, and provided a healthy, sustainable food source for his family, and a few others. Very soon such activity will be openly labeled "terrorism". And any person caught opting out (economically) of the system of government agencies and Fortune 500 corporations will be delt with very harshly. Thus, H.R. 1955 style "Homegrown Terrorism"!
:cool:
Last edited by SquidInk on 03-28-2008 05:04 PM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 03-28-2008 04:57 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: SquidInk - I tried the growing in the dark - didn't wok as well - worked great to start seeds, but sunlight is required for best growth. Grow lights are ok - but with tomatoes and peppers -- not the best once they get to production stages - let alone the fact of attempting to make sure the flowers get pollinated.

Watering factors depend on the size of the container and the stage of plant growth. Many of my indoor planter pots have openings on their holders where I can water the plants from the bottom ... not all of them do. I water a medium size planter pot (12-14" - across top of container) once a week with about 2 cups of FILTERED tap water when they are growing. More often if soil gets dry. By soil being dry - the top soil might be dry, but half inch or inch down into the soil not dry - do not add water. If you have a bottom opening check to see if it is dry and if so add water. WHEN the plants have produce - then I will water twice a week (or as needed).

BLUE BELL PEPPERS are sweet bell peppers. Hybrids!

PS -- the beefsteak tomatoes were grown outdoors. I started the 6 plants from seed - Gurney's beefsteak brand. When the tomato plants bloom - watch for formation of tomatoes - pinched off so that the plant had no more than 12-15 tomatoes. The largest grew to 3+1/2 lbs and was shy a few ounces of state records for the type of tomato. Most of the tomatoes weighed over 2 lbs - BUT caution - plants need extra staking and a good metal basket to help hold plant up. Watering at night when soil got dry - mulch on top soil helped a lot and I used a drip hose so not sure how much water per. Once a month I watered with a Miracle grow liquid to aid the soil - but I checked PH first to know how strong to water. When I watered with Miracle grow I watered a good 6-8 inches away from the base of the plant - all way around each one. Hope that helps...

Interesting... thanks.

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 03-31-2008 10:15 PM

Hey, I didn't know if you guys had heard of this, but I thought this was a super idea. I called my local food bank to see if they'd be interested and they said they welcomed these kind of donations, so I am clearing a few extra rows this year and do this.
http://www.gardenwriters.org/Par/index.html

I think given what we are probably going to see in the economy, we can expect food banks will probably see increased families needing this kind of help.
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

badspell
Pirate

Post by badspell » 04-01-2008 07:31 PM

Also, I've got some experimental tomatoes growing under metal halide in a dark closet. I think I'll need to cut back the total light, and add red - maybe a high pressure sodium, to get it budding, but I'm not sure... do you know of (or are you) a good resource for growing vegetables in total darkness?

Growing in a dark closet would have its challenges. As far as light goes, the more you can get to your plans the better. As I'm sure you know by now fluorescent lights promote root growth and should be used when plants are first being established. Your metal halides or high pressure sodium should be used for the growth phase of the plant. To develop the size you would like. As far as budding or flowering, that can be influenced greatly by the amount of time it receives light and some nutrients such as soft rock phosphate. Of course growing under lights you would have a timer. I have found 16 hour days for growth works well. If your plants are not producing buds as quickly as you would like would recommend decreasing the hours of light per day by 5 minutes each day until you get results. This tells the plant fall is coming, better do what we are going to do. After they flower or bud add a regular incandescent bulb or two. This helps the fruit to develop. Also remember when growing indoors, especially in a small area, ventilation is extremely important and the distance the light source is from the plant must be changed. Almost daily! Tomatoes grow fast.
I recommend the good old sun, either through a window off season or outside in season.
I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but let's face it. Who doesn't want a garden year around
:) good luck

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 04-01-2008 08:36 PM

badspell!!!

Thanks for the advice! Really...

The last month or so I've been collecting parts for a simple GREYWATER SYSTEM. Splitter valve & catch basin under the sink... every Homegrown Terrorist should be capturing greywater - and rain water for that matter!

DesertSage
Pirate

Post by DesertSage » 04-01-2008 09:17 PM

SquidInk wrote: badspell!!!

Thanks for the advice! Really... The last month or so I've been collecting parts for a simpleGREYWATER SYSTEM. Splitter valve & catch basin under the sink... every Homegrown Terrorist should be capturing greywater - and rain water for that matter!
Earthships use the grey water in their living system and dump into a 'planter' before exiting. Google Earthships. Very Cool.:cool:
"Wanting everything in life to be perfect before you take action is like wanting to reach a destination without travel."

badspell
Pirate

Post by badspell » 04-01-2008 09:20 PM

Good to see people recycling as you call it gray water. Be careful that your filtration system is removing contaminants that would be harmful to your plants. Remember what your plans eat you eat.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 04-01-2008 09:20 PM

The quintessence of "homegrown terrorism" is attempting to detach yourself from the grid! You install a solar panel on your roof, and you'll be hanging by your thumbs from the ceiling at a FEMA gulag! You'll see....

:D :( :D
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

badspell
Pirate

Post by badspell » 04-01-2008 09:26 PM

joequinn wrote: The quintessence of "homegrown terrorism" is attempting to detach yourself from the grid! You install a solar panel on your roof, and you'll be hanging by your thumbs from the ceiling at a FEMA gulag! You'll see....

:D :( :D

they can't find you, unless you like post on the Internet..... like we do here:D

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 04-01-2008 09:47 PM

badspell wrote: Good to see people recycling as you call it gray water. Be careful that your filtration system is removing contaminants that would be harmful to your plants. Remember what your plans eat you eat.

"Greywater" only, no "blackwater" (of either variety :D ) for me...

Filtration from the top down is woodmulch, gravel, sand, & finally bark - in that order - all contained in a food grade drum (fruit juice)...

Comments?

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 04-01-2008 09:54 PM

DesertSage wrote: Earthships use the grey water in their living system and dump into a 'planter' before exiting. Google Earthships. Very Cool.:cool:

EARTHSHIPS look right up my alley... I've got my homework for tonight. Maybe it's time for another thread, taking a look at building techniques. I can offer a few leads myself.

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 04-02-2008 01:58 AM

SquidInk wrote: "Greywater" only, no "blackwater" (of either variety :D ) for me...

Filtration from the top down is woodmulch, gravel, sand, & finally bark - in that order - all contained in a food grade drum (fruit juice)...

Comments?
Just make sure as little organic matter goes through your pipe as possible. Like when you was dishes, or wash veggies etc.
I use my greywater to flush toilets here. I use an inexpensive mesh filter in the sink drain to catch organic "crumbs".
Also I would use a bio-friendly dishwashing soap and pour no cleaning chemicals down that sink.:)

"Then I have a steel cistern with a filter that collects rainwater for the washing machine, and irrigation of my garden. The water from the washing machine and a Y off the septic system that collects used kitchen sink water (you have use good mesh filters when running water in the kitchen sink so little or no organic matter goes down the drain). That greywater is used to flush the toilets."
showthread.php?s=&threadid=29569&perpag ... genumber=1
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 04-02-2008 09:27 AM

Psychicwolf wrote: Just make sure as little organic matter goes through your pipe as possible. Like when you was dishes, or wash veggies etc.
I use my greywater to flush toilets here. I use an inexpensive mesh filter in the sink drain to catch organic "crumbs".
Also I would use a bio-friendly dishwashing soap and pour no cleaning chemicals down that sink.:)

I would love to find a plant-friendly soap I could trust (what do I look for?), but for now, I have a twin basin sink. Organics and soap go down one basin, and out to septic, and rinse water, cooking water and such go down the recycle basin, which I can split under the sink.

By the way Psychicwolf, I know YOU'RE WELL VERSED IN THE WAYS OF THE HOMEGROWN TERRORIST! But I had forgotten the extent of your terrorist activities!!:D Thanks for sharing... and consider updates to your old thread!

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 04-02-2008 10:57 AM

Rainwater barrels used to exist on most of the old farmsteads -- placed under the eaves they would catch water from roofs. That water was later used for the gardens when needed.

Best water filters are combination filters - get some for fish tanks! they work great as they filter the water through two different types of filtration.

Fish tank water also provides nutrients for your plants.

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 04-02-2008 02:05 PM

SquidInk I use either Seventh Generation or Bio-Kleen products. You can get them most everywhere. I noticed in last weeks Sunday paper that WalMart is even carrying them now!

Return to “Garden & Galley”