Life Lessons: Getting Over It

Moderator: Super Moderators

Shirleypal
Pirate

Life Lessons: Getting Over It

Post by Shirleypal » 06-07-2009 11:54 AM

"Why do we continue to focus on things from the past? The answer is because we haven’t learnt the lessons that we were supposed to learn"

http://www.escapetheillusion.com/blog/2 ... g-over-it/

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 06-07-2009 01:01 PM

And in some cases, perhaps one of the lessons that need to be learned is when not to get over it and move on...

Oh, how many profound wrongs and miscarriages of justice have been protected and preserved by getting over it and moving on. Oh, how many! :(
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 06-24-2009 10:43 PM

joequinn wrote: And in some cases, perhaps one of the lessons that need to be learned is when not to get over it and move on...

I agree with that Joe, there are some things that should never be forfotten or they could happen again..

Lastmartian
Pirate

Post by Lastmartian » 06-25-2009 01:02 AM

I suppose that if some cleansing at the personal level were to catch on the greater sins of humanity would diminish in their repetition.
But who would I be without my grudges?

Freedom, aside from not being free, is rather scary. Like that allegorical day so long ago when we realized that we were naked and went frantically looking for fig leaves. :eek:

turtle101
Ship's Bartender

Post by turtle101 » 06-06-2011 03:19 PM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But who would I be without my grudges?

I think people mix up “not holding grudges” with some sort of obligation to have the person who hurt them back in their lives as though nothing’s happened, which would make one open to more hurt. But that’s not the case. If you tell the person who broke your trust that you’re on to them and that’s not going to happen again, what more do you have to do? No one’s saying to not protect yourself, but holding a grudge doesn’t protect you, it just keeps you angry.

I’m totally guilty of holding grudges against those people who hurt me, and when confronted, not only didn’t show remorse or apologize, but either denied that it happened or that I deserved what happened to me. It took a long time to get over the hurt of those things, but I did when I slowly realized that continuing to feel hurt allowed these people to have power over me. I still have moments when the hurt comes up, but now I remember this and it’s easier to let the feeling pass.

And while I don’t hold a grudge, no, those particular people are no longer in my life. They have proven that their ways of treating people haven’t changed. I’m learning to forgive. Not to be stupid.
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 06-06-2011 04:15 PM

I don't hold grudges.....

after I've been to Lowes and picked up some tar, feathers, and logging chains to make sure they don't come back up from the bottom of the lake. :D

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 07-13-2011 08:55 PM

Shirleypal wrote: "Why do we continue to focus on things from the past?
I believe it is because THE PAST WAS BETTER!!

Quality was better,FOOD WAS BETTER,etc........

I mi$$ the 80s when things were MUCH BETTER than they are now!!

ShamanistiK
Pirate

Post by ShamanistiK » 08-11-2011 03:54 AM

I don't miss the past anymore, the now is all there is. there is no garantee that any one of us will live another day. This is something most people forget and miss the most precious part of life - Now.

I don't hold grudges anymore either. It isn't healthy. The past is the past, there is no possible way to un-do it. There is only acceptance.

:hourglass
Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.
Henry David Thoreau

starrmtn001
Jester Mod

Post by starrmtn001 » 08-11-2011 10:29 AM

Lastmartian wrote: I suppose that if some cleansing at the personal level were to catch on the greater sins of humanity would diminish in their repetition.

Freedom, aside from not being free, is rather scary. Like that allegorical day so long ago when we realized that we were naked and went frantically looking for fig leaves. :eek:

I tried a fig leaf, but my butt was too big. I found 2 palm fronds worked quite well.;)

joan roberts
Pirate

Post by joan roberts » 08-12-2011 03:45 PM

If you can keep your head when all those about you

are losing theirs, you probably dont understand the

situation:crazyjump

earthist
Pirate

Post by earthist » 08-15-2011 02:07 PM

joan roberts wrote: If you can keep your head when all those about you

are losing theirs, you probably dont understand the

situation:crazyjump

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Any time you get something for nothing, it means that someone, somewhere, got nothing for something.

Return to “Philosophy”