N. Korea launches missile into Sea of Japan 7 minutes ago

Global news scene

Moderator: Super Moderators

Starbuck
Pirate

Post by Starbuck » 07-05-2006 04:05 AM

Jul 5, 4:53 AM EDT
Report: N. Korea Launches 7th Missile
TOKYO (AP) -- North Korea has launched a seventh missile, a news report said Wednesday, citing Japanese government sources.

North Korea fired the latest missile at 5:22 p.m. (4 a.m. EDT), Kyodo News agency reported. The missile landed 6 minutes later, the report said.

Defense officials could not immediately confirm the report. It was unclear what type of missile was launched or where it landed.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/J/ ... ERNATIONAL

This crazy man just can't help himself.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 07-05-2006 04:17 AM

I just heard this on the radio.. It's just saber rattling I thnk. He's wanting attention..and getting it too.

How many is that now? I wonder how many more he has left? He couldn't have that many.

Maybe he'll have a misfire that takes him out for us..save the world the problem :cool:

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-05-2006 09:57 AM

He's still shooting off missilies -- latest landed "Near" Russia (news sources report) -- now the Russians are not happy.

Now that JONG has rattled his sabers again --

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 07-05-2006 11:19 AM

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 07-05-2006 03:58 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: He's still shooting off missilies -- latest landed "Near" Russia (news sources report) -- now the Russians are not happy.

Now that JONG has rattled his sabers again --

I just ran across this bit of bizarre news. China is sending food and fuel aid trains to them and they are sending back the crew but keeping the trains! Not sure about this site..it a WAR site. Might want to attempt to verify elsewhere and start it's own thread.
Forget the Missiles, This is Even More Bizarre

July 5, 2006: While everyone's attention was focused on North Korean missiles, the real story is the North Korean economy. It continues to fall apart, and more North Koreans are unhappy about that. Worse yet, more North Koreans are finding out how badly they have been screwed by their leaders. Meanwhile, North Korean officials engage in even more bizarre behavior. For example, food and fuel supplies sent to North Korea have been halted, not to force North Korea to stop missile tests or participate in peace talks, but to return the Chinese trains the aid was carried in on. In the last few weeks, the North Koreans have just kept the trains, sending the Chinese crews back across the border. North Korea just ignores Chinese demands that the trains be returned, and insists that the trains are part of the aid program. It's no secret that North Korean railroad stock is falling apart, after decades of poor maintenance and not much new equipment. Stealing Chinese trains is a typical loony-tune North Korean solution to the problem. If the North Koreans appear to make no sense, that's because they don't. Put simply, when their unworkable economic policies don't work, the North Koreans just conjure up new, and equally unworkable, plans. The Chinese have tried to talk the North Koreans out of these pointless fantasies, and for their trouble they have their trains stolen. How do you negotiate under these conditions? No one knows. The South Koreans believe that if they just keep the North Korean leaders from doing anything too destructive (especially to South Korea), eventually the tragicomic house of cards up north will just collapse. Not much of a plan, but so far, no one's come up with anything better.

Full article

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 07-05-2006 08:02 PM

3-4 more missles fueled and ready to be launched. Just heard it on the news.

Dale, I am wondering if he is keeping the trains to move the missles around :confused: They mentioned the trains on the news as well.
Last edited by SETIsLady on 07-05-2006 08:06 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Lockhart77
Pirate

Post by Lockhart77 » 07-05-2006 08:31 PM

Well, looks like this will be our next messed up war....then of course Iran... it just never ends...... I know everyone hates Bush, (no fan myself either) so who do you think can fix this mess we are in? :(
"there are moments when, even to the sober eye of reason, the world of our sad humanity may assume the semblance of a Hell"
Edgar Allen Poe

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 07-05-2006 08:47 PM

Lockhart77, I am not sure what the answer is. I do know that North Korea was much more of threat than Hussien was. I Guess we will have to wait and see.

Nothing is in our control anyhow its like the whole world has gone mad and we have to sit back & await what all of these lunatics send our way :(

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 07-05-2006 09:07 PM

3-4 more missles fueled and ready to be launched. Just heard it on the news - SETIslady
You say missles, I say targets. ;)

As soon as the first one is off we test those space-based ICBMs we say we don't have in orbit...or would that be SBBMs..? or that big-ass laser that I read about. If they keep messing with China and Russia we may have no need to.
SETIsLady wrote: ...Nothing is in our control anyhow its like the whole world has gone mad and we have to sit back & await what all of these lunatics send our way :(
I wonder where the best, (read best as safest) seat us for waiting this out would be?

How about on a beach chair in Manila? Image

Lockhart77
Pirate

Post by Lockhart77 » 07-05-2006 09:13 PM

How about a beach chair in Manila? Image
I knew that is why he left!!..He saw all this crap coming...:eek: :D
"there are moments when, even to the sober eye of reason, the world of our sad humanity may assume the semblance of a Hell"
Edgar Allen Poe

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 07-05-2006 09:18 PM

Kim Jong Il is far worse than Saddam ever was. Why are we in Iraq, again?
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 07-05-2006 10:54 PM

Depends on who you ask. Military presence, oil, squash the heathens, warming up for the big dance..

Starbuck
Pirate

Post by Starbuck » 07-06-2006 01:04 AM

Split over N Korea missile test response

By Anna Fifield in Seoul, Mark Turner at the United Nations and David Pilling in Tokyo

Published: July 5 2006 18:59 | Last updated: July 6 2006 00:48

The world’s big powers appeared divided on Wednesday over whether to respond to North Korea’s provocative missile tests with United Nations financial sanctions – with Russia and China resisting calls by the US and Japan for tough action.

The tests of seven missiles, which came as the US celebrated Independence day, intensified tensions in north-east Asia in spite of the failure of a previously untested long-range missile. The Taepodong-2, which could theoretically hit the continental US, fell into the Sea of Japan within a minute of launch. See graphic

The barrage came in spite of entreaties from North Korea’s friends, including China, its neighbours and the US.

It seemed designed, analysts said, as an incendiary gesture by a regime beset by US sanctions to force Washington to deal with it bilaterally. The US will only talk to North Korea in six-party talks, which also include China, Russia, Japan and South Korea.

As the UN Security Council gathered to discuss the tests, Japan and the US, supported by the UK, pushed for tough measures that would require countries to prevent the transfer of financial resources and materials that would help North Korea’s missile and weapons programmes.

The failure of the Taepodong-2, 40 seconds into its flight, was also viewed as a setback for the regime. North Korea fired six missiles – five of them short-range Nodong or Scud-type rockets – from two sites between 3.30am and 6am local time yesterday. A seventh, probably another Nodong, was fired at 5.30pm.

Junichiro Koizumi, the Japanese prime minister, called the launches “extremely regret-table”, adding: “Whatever intention may be behind the actions, the firing of the missiles has no benefit at all for North Korea.”

Meanwhile, Tokyo would consider imposing a wide range of sanctions on North Korea, including freezing remittances and clamping down on travel between the two countries. Tokyo immediately stopped visits by a North Korean ferry.

Japan has already imposed sanctions by barring North Korean ships from its ports and imposing a travel ban on North Korean officials.

Beijing – Pyongyang’s closest ally – avoided direct criticism of North Korea in a statement that expressed “serious concern” about “what had happened”.

A senior US administration official described the launches as an embarrassment for China, calling it a “a measure of their inability or unwillingness to restrain the North Koreans from doing something that is very damaging to the multilateral process that the Chinese are very heavily invested in right now”.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/8d3bea7a-0c4d-1 ... e2340.html

China and Russia...suspicious as ever.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 07-06-2006 05:01 AM

China is really the only Country that can impose any sanctions that will work & they are not on board with doing anything that will have an effect. So that does limit the options.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-06-2006 10:02 AM

Seems Kim Jong II is a playboy who just wants more $$ -- and attention. As heard on c2c last night (5th)

- - -

Return to “Global”