Out in the Cold for the Holidays

National news scene

Moderator: Super Moderators

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Out in the Cold for the Holidays

Post by Psychicwolf » 10-22-2010 05:19 PM

And this doesn't include the '99ers - the workers who have exhausted all available unemployment benefits.:(

Federal Jobless Benefits Will Be Cut for More Than One Million
For 20 years, Ms. K. Webb, a 46-year-old single mother of two, was a dedicated office manager who enjoyed her work and excelled at it, but her employment came to an abrupt halt in October 2008, when she was laid off. Today, Ms. Webb is one of 15 million unemployed Americans still struggling to find work amid the most severe economic downturn since the Great Depression. What’s more, she was one of 2.5 million workers who had nowhere left to turn for support when her federal jobless benefits were prematurely cut off this summer due to Congressional gridlock.

continued:
http://nelp.3cdn.net/8fb5b54668396e5f2c_5um6b9rqs.pdf

And what's going to happen when all these people are elected to Congress who view unemployment as "welfare" and the unemployed as "losers"? Happy freaking holidays.:mad:
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 10-22-2010 05:30 PM

-- In 2009, more than 48 million Americans were enrolled in the Medicaid program.

--One out of every six Americans is now enrolled in at least one anti-poverty program run by the U.S. government.

--Approximately 21% of all children in the United States are living below the poverty line in 2010.

--Anti-poverty spending by the U.S. government has increased 89% over the past decade.

--The cost of health care increased a staggering 9.6% for all U.S. households from 2007 to 2009.
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 10-22-2010 07:12 PM

Say what you want about FDR, but, personally, I've always loved his ideas regarding the Civilian Conservation Corps and the Works progress Administration. My father worked for a few years in the CCC camps in Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Vermont. He was in his late teens, had already lost both his parents - his dad by the time he was eight and his mom only a few short years later. He was being raised by his sisters, and during the Depression they (literally) lost the farm (due to non-payment of taxes) When FDR started these programs he enabled people such as my father to find work, and these individuals worked around the country to make all kinds of improvements. FDR knew - as our current leaders fail to appreciate - than a workforce that is chroniclly idle can be dangerous. Many foreign coutries have found out that it is not a good idea to have an idle workforce as rioting (and worse) can be a result. I've mentioned this is previous postings, but I really do wish that the government would institute a similar program today and get this country working again. My father, and others I have spoken with, spoke fondly of that time - it made them feel that they accomplished something - and you can still see evidence of their work today. At least arund here in New England anyway......

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 10-22-2010 08:18 PM

:(
It's either real or it's a dream, There's nothing that is in between. ~ Jeff Lynne

Return to “National”