Invisible Mercedes

Leading edge technology. Nanobots, gen tech, zero gravity?

Moderator: Super Moderators

earthist
Pirate

Invisible Mercedes

Post by earthist » 04-03-2012 10:11 PM

Thought this was interesting and kinda fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... IGzpi9lCck
Any time you get something for nothing, it means that someone, somewhere, got nothing for something.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 04-04-2012 10:15 AM

On one hand, wonderful tech, and a smart way to communicate the 'invisible to the environment' message. I can envision many ways in which this kind of application could improve our lives, or at least make things more interesting. Wont it be amazing when something like a car can be built using metallic surfaces which double as screens? Maybe when I pull up next to an attractive person at a light, my car will blush and the idle will stumble a little! Maybe there will be a website where people create and share bits of code which I can install in my car to achieve different displays.

We'll call it iCandi, and we'll run it like jackbooted fascists.

Now, if an ad firm can put this together, then what can we imagine DARPA (with an unlimited budget) can do in the way of invisibility? The unfortunate thing about great technology is this: for every convenience or pleasant result it brings, it brings a measure of potential oppression that is an order of magnitude greater.

That isn't an inherent property of tech, but rather of the human species. Humans are obsessed with tool usage, and many good things have resulted from that obsession. However as long as the psychopath minority (which I think is a uniquely human phenomenon as well) is able to direct their energy toward essentially evil & destructive ends, I'm not sure hyper tool usage will pan out as a successful survival strategy in the long run.

JMHO

Last edited by SquidInk on 04-05-2012 12:03 PM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

earthist
Pirate

Post by earthist » 04-05-2012 11:17 AM

Squid: You know me well enough to know I agree with your comments. But your chosen clips leave out the most important part of the scene: the Monolith.

I'm not saying there really was a monolith, but I think we've had "help" getting where we are. Fight that, and "Them," rather than each other.

On the other hand, "They" ain't coming back to rescue us; we have to do that ourselves. For starters, we need to stop hating each other -- and hating ourselves in the process. Methinks it's time to boost each other up and out of the hole we've dug, rather than dig ourselves deeper in.

Oh, and I also think it's OK to goof around once in awhile. That's what I saw in the Mercedes ad: goofing around. No offense intended, OK? :cool:

Monolith: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y15NnGZIBuM
Any time you get something for nothing, it means that someone, somewhere, got nothing for something.

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 04-05-2012 11:59 AM

Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 04-05-2012 08:18 PM

earthist wrote: Squid:

Oh, and I also think it's OK to goof around once in awhile. That's what I saw in the Mercedes ad: goofing around. No offense intended, OK? :cool:

No, no offense at all.... :cool: :cool: .

I'm far too cynical. My bad. I should try to see more innocence.

As for 2001:ASO, I can't begin to fathom the visual symbolism in that one.
Last edited by SquidInk on 04-06-2012 01:22 PM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Riddick
Pirate

Re: Invisible Mercedes

Post by Riddick » 12-03-2016 03:42 AM

A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

Return to “Technology”