SPIKE MIKE:U.S. TEXAS and the VERACRUZ incident

Special Reports on USS Texas BB~35 Dreadnought. .

Moderator: Super Moderators

turtle101
Ship's Bartender

SPIKE MIKE:U.S. TEXAS and the VERACRUZ incident

Post by turtle101 » 10-09-2003 01:35 PM

S M.....Read your article on the home page about the texas.......... I dint know she was involced withe the Vercruz (tampico affair) usmc invasion of that city???

I read a lot about the history of the Veracruz invasion by

Woodrow WILSON. WHEN I WAS WRITING MY Post most EXCELLENT POST... Wood Wilson an ode to Warren ZEVON... (that no body seemed to like?)...I POSTED SEVERAL Historical LINKS TO EXPLAIN THE LYRICS IN THE

SONG.showthread.php?s=&threadid=4009

BUT I NEVER READ ABOUT THE SHIPS ROLL IN THE INVATION, DO YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON WHAT PART SHE had in it?????????
Last edited by turtle101 on 10-09-2003 01:38 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Cpt Spike Mike
Joint Chief

Post by Cpt Spike Mike » 10-09-2003 11:36 PM

turtle, she was some of the guns that Warren was singing about. She was dispatched from Norfolk Shipyard to join the fleet, without the benefit of a shakedown cruise or post-shakedown asessment. She was part of the shore bombardment to support advancing soldiers (they were not Marines, for the USMC's 1st Division wasn't founded until February 1941, on the deck of the USS Texas); the USS Arkansas supplied most of the soldiers, and the US Texas had to leave for Cuba briefly during the conflict, but returned shortly.

turtle101
Ship's Bartender

usmc

Post by turtle101 » 10-10-2003 12:57 AM

not sure what you said about usmc but they were the in 1914

BUTLER, Smedley
Major, U.S. Marine Corps
G.O. Navy Department, No.177

CITATION:

For distinguished conduct in battle, engagement of Vera Cruz, April 22, 1914, was eminent and conspicious in command of his battalion. He exhibited courage and skill in leading his men through the action of the 22nd and in the final occupation of the city
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

turtle101
Ship's Bartender

usmc veracruz

Post by turtle101 » 10-10-2003 01:13 AM

and
, in Veracruz, Mexico, (1914),
In 1914, Neville led the Marines ashore at Veracruz, Mexico, and was awarded the Medal of Honor for conspicuous gallantry. During World War I, he commanded the 5th Marines at Belleau Wood and later rose to command of the 4th Marine Brigade
Wilson sent marines to Veracruz, a Mexican port, and the force overthrew Huerta. Mexicans responded with anti-American riots, and the European press denounced the American intervention
http://www.pbs.org/kpbs/theborder/histo ... ne/15.html

Return to “USS TEXAS ~ BB 35 Restoration/Preservation Project”