Whats The Status??

Special Reports on USS Texas BB~35 Dreadnought. .

Moderator: Super Moderators

LoneWolf Texan
Pirate

Whats The Status??

Post by LoneWolf Texan » 08-30-2006 03:24 PM

Hey people

Just curious on what the status is on the Old Gal. I love going down to visit the Texas every year. I work about 10 minutes from it as I work at Shell Oil. When are they supposed to start moving her? Would love to be able to be at the park for that

Cpt Spike Mike
Joint Chief

Post by Cpt Spike Mike » 09-02-2006 11:14 AM

Hi LoneWolf Texan and welcome to the Fantastic Forum. Lately it would seem there's not much interest in the old gal here (forum-wise) in an overall sense: must be the war thing going on. During the Vietnam War she suffered heavily from public neglect.

But getting back to your question. I will have a better answer after next weekend as I'm going over to BB-35 both Friday & Saturday (September 8th & 9th). We're welcoming back our ship's veterans for Reunion 2OO6. I have to train up for it this week, as I'll be taking pictures and have to everywhere/anywhere/nowhere at the same time. :D

But don't worry for now because the ship won't be leaving very soon. The latest plan is to tow her out of her slip (wait- she'll be naked! :eek: :) ) and then up the Houston Ship Channel. Somewhere around the east 61O Loop area is where she will be temporarily moored so the public will still have access to her. During this time, her slip will be rebuilt into the cofferdammed, graving berth configuration. This will all take place from the next few months through 2O11.

Clatu
Pirate

Post by Clatu » 09-14-2006 09:18 AM

Cpt Spike Mike wrote: Hi LoneWolf Texan and welcome to the Fantastic Forum. Lately it would seem there's not much interest in the old gal here (forum-wise) in an overall sense: must be the war thing going on. During the Vietnam War she suffered heavily from public neglect.

But getting back to your question. I will have a better answer after next weekend as I'm going over to BB-35 both Friday & Saturday (September 8th & 9th). We're welcoming back our ship's veterans for Reunion 2OO6. I have to train up for it this week, as I'll be taking pictures and have to everywhere/anywhere/nowhere at the same time. :D

But don't worry for now because the ship won't be leaving very soon. The latest plan is to tow her out of her slip (wait- she'll be naked! :eek: :) ) and then up the Houston Ship Channel. Somewhere around the east 61O Loop area is where she will be temporarily moored so the public will still have access to her. During this time, her slip will be rebuilt into the cofferdammed, graving berth configuration. This will all take place from the next few months through 2O11.

What War Captain? Why would you Sir, of anyone post the above type bilge contents. I find it hard to believe what I'm reading here having so much respect for the powers to be, especially you Captain.

Seriously shaken.
Scott

Pegasuss
Pirate

Post by Pegasuss » 10-11-2006 01:21 AM

God Bless the preservation of our Nautical History. Woe to them who believe that Freedom does not involve the strength of Ships such as the USS TEXAS.:cool:
The Truth Is Out There

Black Tassel
Pirate

Post by Black Tassel » 10-11-2006 09:11 PM

Hey Mike and All.......... I'm still here and enthused about her restoration.

The Old Postcard is still on my fridge, Spike.

{{hugs}} & Cheers,
Brenda :D
Grobanite Forever

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 10-11-2006 09:13 PM

Black Tassel wrote: Hey Mike and All.......... I'm still here

{{{{:)}}}}
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

Return to “USS TEXAS ~ BB 35 Restoration/Preservation Project”