USS Texas on History Channel

Special Reports on USS Texas BB~35 Dreadnought. .

Moderator: Super Moderators

Cpt Spike Mike
Joint Chief

USS Texas on History Channel

Post by Cpt Spike Mike » 05-27-2005 03:35 AM

The History Channel has a show titled 'Undersea Detectives' where historians go scuba diving to explore shipwrecks of the past, in order to determine how they sank. Recently, an episode centered on the speculation about the German Navy's sinking of over 5O ships at the end of World War I.

Since the battleships of that time were dreadnought types, they wanted to know something about ship scuttling; the act of purposefully flooding a ship to sink it. They wanted to know more about how this prsocess would happen, and the only place to see a dreadnought without getting wet is 22 miles east of Houston, at the USS Texas, BB-35.

They aired a very informative segment with museum curator Barry Ward, who took them down to the engine room and showed them some of the ship's flooding valves. Some compartments had flooding valves to fight out-of-control fires, but these could also be used to intentionally flood the ship and sink her. Thankfully, these valves onboard BB-35 no longer work, or who knows what some anti-war nut would try. :eek:

It is widely considered that the German Navy intentionally scuttled thier fleet when a deadline was reached with no resolution as to what would happen to the defeated fleet. For the most part, the show found evidence that this is accurate, as no one knows how they would've been distributed amongst the victorious Allies.

It's a good show in general, if you like ships, and you can catch this episode in a few months on a replay.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 05-30-2005 10:08 PM

If you get word of when the replay is coming up - please let me know.

Cpt Spike Mike
Joint Chief

Post by Cpt Spike Mike » 06-12-2005 12:05 AM

Linnea, I'll keep an eye out for it as the summer replays make thier circulation. I don't know when it was shot; I'm assuming sometime last year.

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 07-10-2005 04:29 AM

Spike, I would love to see that. I don't have cable so if you or anyone else has a taped copy could you let me know? Or, if you know when the replay will be I can tell my mom and she will tape it for me.

Thanks!;)

Return to “USS TEXAS ~ BB 35 Restoration/Preservation Project”