Scientists Detect First Fast Radio Burst From Milky Way

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

Scientists Detect First Fast Radio Burst From Milky Way

Post by Riddick » 08-07-2020 02:02 PM

Making its presence known on April 28, scientists say based off telescope observations, this FRB came from a known neutron star located about 30,000 light-years from Earth in the constellation Vulpecula.

The stellar remnant fits into an even stranger class of star called a magnetar, named for its incredibly powerful magnetic field, which is capable of spitting out intense amounts of energy long after the star itself has died.

"We've never seen a burst of radio waves, resembling a fast radio burst, from a magnetar before," lead study author Sandro Mereghetti, of the National Institute for Astrophysics in Milan, Italy, said in a statement. "This is the first ever observational connection between magnetars and fast radio bursts."

FRBs were discovered in 2007, according to Live Science. They emit bursts of radio waves that last a few milliseconds, but generate more energy in that time than Earth's sun does in a century, according to scientists.

It is unknown what causes the blasts. Scientists have suggested they come from colliding black holes or even the pulse of alien starships. Before April’s FRB, all other ones have originated from other galaxies located hundreds of millions of light-years away.

FULL STORY
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

Doka
Pirate

Re: Scientists Detect First Fast Radio Burst From Milky Way

Post by Doka » 08-08-2020 11:06 AM

I yearn for days to come, hopefully, that Science comes to mean something once again and not just something 30,000 Light Years away or paid for by the highest bidder. There is lot's of real stuff, out there I'm sure I'm missing, because It is meaningless or just plain old manipulation of the masses. I ask , with almost a straight face , what if we found a new life form, how long it would take for humans, to convert it, won't convert, then it must be destroyed. Damit it , it didn't jump, when I said jump!
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Return to “Astronomy/ NASA/Physics”