Photo of Fire

Show it off

Moderator: Super Moderators

voguy
Pirate

Photo of Fire

Post by voguy » 05-07-2016 06:10 AM

The CBC released this picture of the fire in Canada.
CBC_Photo.jpg
CBC_Photo.jpg (22.34 KiB) Viewed 6492 times
The newswriter from the Winnipeg bureau made the comment that it looks like a nuclear bomb going off, and the devastation backs it up.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

voguy
Pirate

Re: Photo of Fire

Post by voguy » 05-07-2016 06:31 AM

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 05-07-2016 06:39 AM

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 05-07-2016 06:40 AM

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 05-07-2016 08:15 AM

There was a fellow interviewed on the radio yesterday out of Denver CO, who now has the big 747 Fire Plane, that used to be housed in Oregon and Not used, (puts out the big fires fast, Forest Service would not let it be used). He was saying that it was ready to go......any where in the world. So, I guess it can sit in Colorado, and NOT be used, just as well? I will get more info, they are just now setting up a a new web-site.
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 05-07-2016 12:26 PM

Doka wrote:There was a fellow interviewed on the radio yesterday out of Denver CO, who now has the big 747 Fire Plane, that used to be housed in Oregon and Not used, (puts out the big fires fast, Forest Service would not let it be used). He was saying that it was ready to go......any where in the world. So, I guess it can sit in Colorado, and NOT be used, just as well? I will get more info, they are just now setting up a a new web-site.
It would be interesting to know why. Some of the asinine situations which come up in politics can cause a lot of problems.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 05-08-2016 10:54 AM

Courtesy of the Connecticut Fire & Police Association, as published in the newspaper.
Smokey.jpg
Smokey.jpg (45.44 KiB) Viewed 6472 times

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 05-08-2016 11:04 AM

Canada.jpg
Canada.jpg (56.46 KiB) Viewed 6470 times

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 05-08-2016 11:06 AM

I have been thinking about the destruction going on up there too. Hope the US has at LEAST, sent in our Fire Fighters to assist, as Canadians have always been here to help us fight our big fires. Doesn't look like they(PTB) will let the "Big Fire Plane" do it's job. :(
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 05-08-2016 11:23 AM

This article is from 2009. Evergreen no longer owns the plane. I believe that 2009 may have been the last time that the plane was "allowed" to fly.

JASON PAUR GEAR DATE OF PUBLICATION: 09.01.09.
TIME OF PUBLICATION: 6:30 AM.
6:30 AM
FAHRENHEIT 747: WORLD’S BIGGEST FIRE EXTINGUISHER DOUSES L.A. COUNTY

THE DEADLY FIRES that have blackened more than 105,000 acres around Los Angeles prompted authorities to call in the world’s largest fire extinguisher — a Boeing 747 that can drop 20,000 gallons of retardant over a swath of land three miles long.

The plane made its first-ever drop in the continental United States when fire officials summoned it to the Oak Glen fire east of Los Angeles mid day on Monday. After the successful first drop, the Supertanker was called back into action Monday evening where it made further drops on the massive Station fire north of the city which grew to more than 164 square miles and threatened 10,000 homes. Nearly 2,600 firefighters from as far away as Montana are throwing everything they have at the blaze, and on Monday they called in the biggest tool in their inventory.

Supertanker, a 747-100 modified by Evergreen Aviation of Oregon, can deliver more than 20,000 gallons of fire retardant with considerable accuracy using its unique pressurized delivery system. Although Supertanker can’t snake through canyons like smaller aircraft, nothing can touch its payload or its ability to perform multiple controlled drops during a single flight. The Grumman S-2, a dedicated workhorse of California’s airtanker fleet, carries 1,200 gallons. That’s a thimbleful compared to the Supertanker.

“This aircraft can lay down a three-mile-long, football field-wide swath of retardant if needed,” Evergreen’s Rick Campfield told Wired.com. “There’s no close second.

http://www.wired.com/2009/09/evergreen-supertanker/
KARMA RULES

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 05-08-2016 11:44 AM

This is probably Not the last time you will hear from me about this plane. As far as I'm concerned ,I believe, the longer this craft is kept from doing what it was designed for, the PTB are guilty of murder and deliberate destruction of property!

I should really know better! Big fires like this and Wars are big money makers , like wars, there are billions of Dollars to be made off of Destruction. :twisted:
KARMA RULES

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 05-08-2016 11:45 AM

I'll know Tuesday at 10AM if I won the surplus auction for blankets, t-shirts, and socks. 864 piece each. USAF issue. I know it's not a lot, but if you don't have them, life is rough.

Hopefully Canadian Customs doesn't hassle me too bad.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 05-08-2016 11:53 AM

Doka wrote:THE DEADLY FIRES that have blackened more than 105,000 acres around Los Angeles prompted authorities to call in the world’s largest fire extinguisher — a Boeing 747 that can drop 20,000 gallons of retardant over a swath of land three miles long.
I've seen planes like this reloading up at Ste St Marie MI in the channel for practice. It takes a lot of skill as you lose about 20 knots of speed taking on water, so you have to touch, gun it, take water, and then be able to climb out before getting to the end of the lake/channel.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 05-08-2016 12:21 PM

This link is from the Fire Aviation site (May 4, 2016) a few days ago.

http://fireaviation.com/tag/747/

I had trouble with copy/paste on this site. It has a lot of pictures/videos. You can not imagine the size of this thing, untill you get to the photo of people around it!
KARMA RULES

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 05-08-2016 12:46 PM

voguy wrote:I'll know Tuesday at 10AM if I won the surplus auction for blankets, t-shirts, and socks. 864 piece each. USAF issue. I know it's not a lot, but if you don't have them, life is rough.

Hopefully Canadian Customs doesn't hassle me too bad.

That's what I mean Money verses Conscience. I know at the Bisquit Fire, the little town of Brookings probably picked up about 2 million $. I can't blame you for your actions, cause, if I could I would more than likely do the same thing. But, it does mess with the awareness factor.......... :?:
KARMA RULES

Return to “Photography”