Two Explosions at the Boston Marathon

Moderator: Super Moderators

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-26-2013 09:48 AM

SquidInk wrote: You're right. But again, nothing happens in a vacuum. We do not talk about why Japan attacked Pearl Harbor (retaliation for a naval blockade & asset seizures), or why we were denying Japan the oil it needed to survive, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Freedom-Betrayed- ... rbookstore

These things are part of the larger historical tapestry. It is not very often that one side can claim any legitimate moral high ground (and actually WW2 might be the one time where the Allies, at times, could).

Smh...I knew you were going to do this even as I was typing it.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-26-2013 10:16 AM

More confirmation...
Before the Boston Marathon bombings, the Obama administration argued for years that there is a big difference between terrorists and the tenets of Islam.
A senior White House aide in 2009 publicly urged Washington to cease using the term “jihadist” — asserting that terrorists are simply extremists. Two years later, the White House ordered a cleansing of training materials that Islamic groups deemed offensive.

Now, some analysts are asking whether the 2009 edict and others that followed have dampened law enforcement’s appetite to thoroughly investigate terrorism suspects for fear of offending higher-ups or the American Muslim lobby.

It is not just the case of Tamerlan Tsarnaev, a radicalized jihadist whom the FBI questioned in 2011 and cleared of terrorism links. At least five Muslims have attempted mass destruction in the U.S. since 2009, undetected beforehand by law enforcement and the intelligence community:
List follows. But who cares? They kill people, other people kill people. People kill people. Or rather, people are killed, and it's a tragedy. Let 'em all in! There's no need to discriminate.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... #pagebreak

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 04-26-2013 11:15 AM

HB3 wrote: More confirmation...

List follows. But who cares? They kill people, other people kill people. People kill people. Or rather, people are killed, and it's a tragedy. Let 'em all in! There's no need to discriminate.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... #pagebreak

From the posted article:

"The biggest White House push to tone down training on jihadists emerged in 2011, the same year the Russian government warned the U.S. about Tamerlan Tsarnaev, whose parents hailed from Chechnya, a hotbed of radical Islamists. Tamerlan and younger brother Dzhokhar Tsarnaev are accused of placing the two bombs that killed three and wounded more than 260 at the Boston Marathon."

This reminded me of a concept I used to hear of a lot more when I was younger - but is a term I haven't heard in years:

Fifth column

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A fifth column is a group of people who undermine a larger group, such as a nation or a besieged city, from within. The activities of a fifth column can be overt or clandestine. Forces gathered in secret can mobilize when coordination with an external attack requires and extend even to uniformed military operations as part of a coordinated campaign. They can be clandestine, involving acts of sabotage, disinformation campaigns, or espionage executed within defense lines by secret sympathizers with an external force.

Origin

Emilio Mola, a Nationalist General during the Spanish Civil War, told a journalist in 1936 that as his four columns of troops approached Madrid, a "fifth column" of supporters inside the city would support him and undermine the Republican government from within. The term was then widely used in Spain. Ernest Hemingway used it as the title of his only play, which he wrote in Madrid while the city was being bombarded, and published in 1938 in his book The Fifth Column and the First Forty-Nine Stories.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_column

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-26-2013 11:43 AM

"The biggest White House push to tone down training on jihadists emerged in 2011, the same year the Russian government warned the U.S. about Tamerlan Tsarnaev, whose parents hailed from Chechnya, a hotbed of radical Islamists. Tamerlan and younger brother Dzhokhar Tsarnaev are accused of placing the two bombs that killed three and wounded more than 260 at the Boston Marathon."

This reminded me of a concept I used to hear of a lot more when I was younger - but is a term I haven't heard in years:
Yeah, it's a good example of this weird inversion of reality I've been noting when liberals talk about American media/cultural/political bias.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 04-26-2013 12:38 PM

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-boston ... es/5332981

good article pointing out lots of problems
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 04-26-2013 01:43 PM

Interesting article Fan. I've picked-up on some of the contradictory information - such as the varying story about the younger brother not being armed when the local news clearly showed shots being exchanged. I'm going to take a ot of this with a huge grain of salt - particularly Mom's statements - she's either in denial or clueless. Nonetheless, The article has a lot of information that makes you wonder - there are just too many contradictions in less than two weeks. And the story keeps changing......

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 04-26-2013 01:50 PM

kbot wrote: Interesting article Fan. I've picked-up on some of the contradictory information - such as the varying story about the younger brother not being armed when the local news clearly showed shots being exchanged. I'm going to take a ot of this with a huge grain of salt - particularly Mom's statements - she's either in denial or clueless. Nonetheless, The article has a lot of information that makes you wonder - there are just too many contradictions in less than two weeks. And the story keeps changing......

You can disregard the mom's statements completely (except for him being under FBI watch since they admit this), and there is still very little of the story that makes sense.

...and we have yet to see the "bombers" place the bombs, a video they assure us they have (but which the Boston mayor was not allowed to see before giving the order to shut the city down - but as he said "it was described to me").
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 04-26-2013 01:57 PM

Fan wrote: You can disregard the mom's statements completely (except for him being under FBI watch since they admit this), and there is still very little of the story that makes sense.

...and we have yet to see the "bombers" place the bombs, a video they assure us they have (but which the Boston mayor was not allowed to see before giving the order to shut the city down - but as he said "it was described to me").

I know. I'm still fascinated by the Blackwater involvement - that story went away quickly. I've been printing out the stories related to Canada - I'm going to have to read these over the weekend. A lot of things just aren't adding-up

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-26-2013 06:35 PM

How the FBI was blinded by political correctness

As the initial elation over the swift identification and ending of the Brothers Tsarnaev manhunt fades, a steady stream of facts are emerging that strongly suggest the need for a more sober assessment of the FBI's performance in the two years prior to the Boston Marathon bombing.

FBI counter-terrorism agents interviewed Tamerlan Tsarnaev, the older of the brothers, in January 2011 after receiving a tip from Russian intelligence. Since the interviewing agents thought they heard nothing to indicate Tsarnaev was a terrorist, little else was done and the case was closed two months later. A few months after that, Tsarnaev went to Russia and encountered somebody or experienced something that apparently prompted him to become quite open about his devotion to a radical vision of Islamic jihad. The FBI visited him a second time after he returned to the United States but again concluded that Tsarnaev was not a threat. It is speculation now, of course, but it's difficult to believe the Tsarnaevs would have been able to carry out the bombing had they been under active surveillance before the 2013 Boston Marathon.

Whatever else may yet be discovered about what the FBI missed, there is no excuse for the agency not grasping the significance of the radical Islamist video Tamerlan posted on his Facebook page entitled "The Emergence of Prophecy: The Black Flags of Khorasan." The video explains and glorifies the prophecy of a mighty Jihadist army rising from the Iranian region of the Near East to conquer the world and establish an enduring Muslim empire. The Khorasan connection is a staple of al Qaeda ideology, and the video's presence on Tsarnaev's Facebook page was a red flag that should have alerted agents to a very real potential danger.

It is quite possible, though, the FBI agents who interviewed Tsarnaev on both occasions failed to understand what they saw and heard because that's what they were trained to do. As The Washington Examiner's Mark Flatten reported last year, FBI training manuals were systematically purged in 2011 of all references to Islam that were judged offensive by a specially created five-member panel. Three of the panel members were Muslim advocates from outside the FBI, which still refuses to make public their identities. Nearly 900 pages were removed from the manuals as a result of that review. Several congressmen were allowed to review the removed materials in 2012, on condition that they not disclose what they read to their staffs, the media, or the general public.

With the recent proliferation of revelations about FBI blindness on the Brothers Tsarnaev, a comment made last year by Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Texas, to Flatten now has a tragic resonance: "We've got material being removed more because of political correctness than in the interest of truth and properly educated justice officials. We are blinding our enforcement officers from the ability to see who the enemy actually is." The Boston bombing showed the tragic consequences of that blindness.
http://washingtonexaminer.com/examiner- ... n%20Digest

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 04-27-2013 11:36 AM

Outrageous and explains a lot.

This would be emanating from the State Department - would be my guess.
A man's character is his fate

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 04-27-2013 11:40 AM

kbot wrote: From the posted article:

Fifth column

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A fifth column is a group of people who undermine a larger group, such as a nation or a besieged city, from within. The activities of a fifth column can be overt or clandestine. Forces gathered in secret can mobilize when coordination with an external attack requires and extend even to uniformed military operations as part of a coordinated campaign. They can be clandestine, involving acts of sabotage, disinformation campaigns, or espionage executed within defense lines by secret sympathizers with an external force.

Origin

Emilio Mola, a Nationalist General during the Spanish Civil War, told a journalist in 1936 that as his four columns of troops approached Madrid, a "fifth column" of supporters inside the city would support him and undermine the Republican government from within. The term was then widely used in Spain. Ernest Hemingway used it as the title of his only play, which he wrote in Madrid while the city was being bombarded, and published in 1938 in his book The Fifth Column and the First Forty-Nine Stories.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_column

Ties right in with HB's post # 564.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-27-2013 05:27 PM

Yeah, the "serveillance state" is superceded only by the state of institutionalized incompetence -- often, but not exclusively, willfull incompetence. It's an example of what's been called "anarcho-tyranny": people who think of themselves as law-abiding live in fear of the bureaucratic state, while those who could care less can literally get away with murder.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-27-2013 08:08 PM

I dig this guy's conclusion.
The Media’s ’Alleged’ Fairness to a Boston Bomber
By Stephen L. Carter Apr 25, 2013 3:22 PM PT

Suddenly, the news media seem not so sure about who attacked the Boston Marathon.
The Wall Street Journal published a report this week on whether “alleged Boston bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev met with a suspected militant during his six-month visit to Russia in 2012.” In the Daily Beast, we have an excellent dispatch from a radical Dagestan mosque visited by “alleged marathon bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev.” Not to be outdone, the New York Times, in a coinage that was immediately copied around the Web, referred to Tamerlan Tsarnaev as “the suspect who died last week.”

The words of legalistic caution are everywhere: “alleged,” “suspected” and the rest. That was fast. Because, let’s remember, these stories aren’t about younger brother Dzhokhar, who is facing criminal charges. They’re about Tamerlan, who is dead. This trend is at best peculiar -- to say nothing of confusing and unnecessary.

Ordinarily, journalists identify those who are arrested as “suspects,” their crimes “alleged,” because no trial has taken place. The rules stem from a desire to protect the presumption of innocence -- not to taint the jury pool, for instance. Thus the usual caution can be considered a way of respecting the autonomy of the accused, who might yet be acquitted.

But Tamerlan can’t be acquitted. He’s dead.

Wrong Message

So why the hedging? If we take the media at their meaning, the purpose must be to warn us readers that we would be wrong to conclude, on the evidence now available, that Tamerlan Tsarnaev bombed the Boston Marathon last week.

If this is the message, then the message is wrong. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the adjective “alleged” means “claimed or asserted without proof, or pending proof,” and derives most probably from an Old French word meaning “to clear of an accusation.” Now, aside from the fact that the OED is inexact -- what we demand is sufficient proof, evidence enough to overcome whatever may be the applicable standard of doubt -- most of us aren’t going to examine much more proof of Tamerlan Tsarnaev’s guilt than we’ve seen already.

It’s easy to misunderstand the presumption of innocence. The rule comes from the common law, and reflects not an ethical guidepost for every aspect of life, but a way of describing the burden of the moving party at a trial. In criminal trials the presumption is of particular importance, because the state is proposing to take away a person’s liberty -- perhaps even his life.

James Bradley Thayer, in his 1898 treatise on the law of evidence, presented what has become the modern formulation of the presumption: first, “that the accused stands innocent until he is proved guilty; and, second, that this proof of guilt must displace all reasonable doubt.”

But nobody is proposing to take away Tamerlan Tsarnaev’s liberty or life. Those are already gone. Because he isn’t facing trial, the presumption of innocence -- which is a rule of evidence for the courtroom -- doesn’t apply. Whatever conclusions we reach, we violate no right of his. If you don’t agree, ask yourself whether Tamerlan Tsarnaev’s status as mere “suspect” has an expiration date -- or whether, because we can never try him, it lasts forever. (John Wilkes Booth never had a trial either.)

This leads us to an important point: It makes perfect sense to refer to younger brother Dzhokhar as a suspect, because he does face criminal charges, and the government does intend to take his liberty away. But even in Dzhokhar’s case, the presumption of innocence is really only a rule of courtroom evidence.

Different Message

There is, of course, a richer significance that we might attach to the presumption of evidence. Perhaps the message isn’t that we should preserve the question of guilt for trial, but rather that we should never rush to judgment on anyone, about anything. This lovely sentiment was captured in the 1971 baccalaureate address of Yale University President Kingman Brewster, an epigram that is engraved on his tombstone: “The presumption of innocence is not just a legal concept. In commonplace terms it rests on that generosity of spirit which assumes the best, not the worst of the stranger.”

Assuming the best of the stranger: not a bad way to build a society. But, of course, the media willy-nilly present conclusory assertions about everyone else -- in politics, say, or in business. It’s perfectly plain that we don’t assume the best of the stranger. Instead we indulge a habit of convicting in the court of public opinion on very modest proof.

Our politicians may understand this point better than our reporters. Consider the following circumlocution from ABC News: “In passionate remarks at a memorial service for slain Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer Sean Collier, Vice President Joe Biden called the Boston Marathon bomber suspects ‘knock-off jihadis.’” See the editing trick? Biden’s clever wordplay assumes that the audience shares his knowledge of who did what; it is the reporter who cautiously added that the vice president was referring to the “suspects.”

And journalists themselves don’t fully accept the need to presume innocence. Thus even as they insist that Tamerlan is only a “suspect” in the bombing, they tell us flatly, as if it’s all fact, that he was kicked out of his mosque, that he told his mother he was willing to die for Islam, and that he became increasingly radicalized over the past few years. Little of this hearsay would be admissible in a court of law; but on these predicate facts there is no hedging.

Maybe that’s just as well. There is such a thing as too much caution. Thayer, in his 1898 treatise, issued a prescient warning: “The presumption of innocence has been overdone in our hysterical American fashion of defending accused persons.” His allusion was to the opinion of a prominent lawyer of the day with whom he disagreed. But his words would seem applicable today to the verbal gymnastics of the news media.

What I would say is this: Calm down. Outside the courtroom, we already have sufficient evidence on which to make up our minds about the guilt of Tamerlan Tsarnaev. He isn’t a suspect. He’s dead. And he did it.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-2 ... omber.html

Moreover, public anger is not only understandable, but arguably appropriate.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 04-27-2013 09:37 PM

We have PC'd ourselves to the point of impotent oblivion.:(

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-27-2013 09:43 PM

You know, the more I think about it, the more it seems like the more far out conspiracy theories have been created specifically to distract from the plain-spoken and obvious truth, which is also politically incorrect.

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”