Wisconsin Updates

Moderator: Super Moderators

rumike
Pirate

Post by rumike » 04-20-2011 09:17 PM

Thanks for keeping this updated. This story has the potential to shift states from red to blue for generations. Working-class moderate Republicans are voting Democratic, because their eyes are opening to the fact that GOP policies help only the Kings and Queens of Industry. This is going to change the upper midwest just like civil rights changed the south. Except the upper midwest decides elections.
Anchors Aweigh!

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 04-20-2011 09:19 PM

No problem Mike, please feel free to add anything you think is important. Wisconsin in the battleground.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 04-20-2011 09:21 PM

Paul Ryan meeting with his constituents in Wisconsin. Its only a 1:57 but people are getting it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 5kgnE1Xvec

rumike
Pirate

Post by rumike » 04-20-2011 09:38 PM

This whole experience renews my faith in the marketplace of ideas. Wouldn't it be sweet irony if the effect of Citizens United just allowed radical right wingers to be elected more easily and therefore opens America's eyes to what happens when GOP philosophies take hold.
Anchors Aweigh!

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 04-20-2011 10:07 PM

Wis. Dems To File Recall Signatures Against A Fifth Republican State Senator
Dems will file a massive amount of signatures tomorrow to trigger a recall election against a fifth Wisconsin GOP state senator, I’m told.

Graeme Zielinski, the spokesman for the Wisconsin Democratic Party, confirms to me that Democrats will submit approximately 30,000 signatures for the recall of Alberta Darling — nearly 150 percent of the 20,343 required.

This is the fifth time Dems have collected far more signatures than necessary for a recall — all but ensuring that all five recall elections will actually happen.

This comes as there are signs that Republicans may be able to trigger two recall elections against Dems, though in one case Republicans have apparently only collected a couple of thousand more signatures than required, which isn’t much of a cushion. Republicans have less than a week until their deadline, and they still haven’t filed anything, though that appears ready to change tomorrow.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plu ... _blog.html

Shazam
Pirate

Post by Shazam » 04-21-2011 09:01 AM

She will Still lose....sore loser demorats I swear to god...."we lost...RECOUNT...and we lost again...... bwwaaaaaaa we lost again ...well screw um we will disenfranchise the electorate....RECALL....." LOSERS!!!!!:mad:

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 04-21-2011 09:08 AM

Did you feel the same way about Norm Coleman ? BTW there is enough evidence that there was funny business going on since 2006 that it warrants a recount. Talking about disenfranchising the electorate by having them have no faith in the voting system.

Curious Shazam, do you know any of the background about Waukesha County are should I post it up ? There is alot of it, but I will be more than happy to do it. Maybe I should anyhow there may be people that aren't aware of the background.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 04-21-2011 10:28 AM

Although this isn't relevant to this particular thread, what I have been seeing over the course of the past few days is that in poll and poll, those being questioned are stating unequivocally, that they do not want cuts in "entitlements". This is in stark contrast to what Ryan and his ilk have been stating - that they are simply listening to the voters.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 04-21-2011 10:37 AM

SETIsLady wrote: Paul Ryan meeting with his constituents in Wisconsin. Its only a 1:57 but people are getting it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 5kgnE1Xvec
Kbot this clip proves what you are saying. And anything relating to Wisconsin is welcome in this thread :)

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 04-21-2011 10:38 AM

Shots for signatures :rolleyes:

Wisconsin Recall Fight Heats Up As Democrats Complain Of 'Shots For Signatures' Deals
WASHINGTON -- In an effort to gather enough signatures to trigger recall elections of state senators in Wisconsin, some backers are turning to peculiar, unconventional and, it appears, even intoxicating means.

The Wisconsin Democratic Party is planning to file a complaint to the state Government Accountability Board alleging that a Republican signature-gatherer offered alcoholic beverages to a group of women to get them to sign a recall petition against a Democratic state senator.

Although that's not illegal in Wisconsin, it is strongly discouraged and, Democrats argue, evidence that Republicans don't really have enough grassroots support for their recall campaigns.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/2 ... 51459.html

This along with the GOP hiring out of state felons to canvass for signatures interesting stuff.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 04-21-2011 11:08 AM

I'm thinking that as the House members meet with their constituents and hear their perspective, that things will change when they reconvene in May.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Recall Petitions Filed Against 3 Wis. Democrats

Post by SETIsLady » 04-21-2011 03:30 PM

Wisconsin conservatives on Thursday added three Democratic state senators to the list of lawmakers in line for recall elections over their opposition to or support of Republican Gov. Scott Walker's law curtailing collective bargaining rights for public employees.

Committees to recall Sens. Dave Hansen of Green Bay, Jim Holperin of Conover and Robert Wirch of Pleasant Prairie filed the signatures needed with the Government Accountability Board. All three groups had thousands more signatures than required to trigger a recall election.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =135050460

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 04-21-2011 04:21 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: HB3 --just more wasted monies -- 7000 votes -- I can understand a few hundred difference having a recount, but several thousands??

I suppose if this Voter Official woman that "suddenly" found 7000 votes did not have such a questionable past, Kloppenberg would not be asking for a recount.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-21-2011 04:35 PM

Raggedyann wrote: I suppose if this Voter Official woman that "suddenly" found 7000 votes did not have such a questionable past, Kloppenberg would not be asking for a recount.

If that's the issue, why is she asking for a state-wide recount?

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 04-21-2011 10:14 PM

And now for King Walkers version of what recalls are for.

Governor: Recalls are Typically for Misconduct in Office
During a stop in Oshkosh to tout a state grant for low-income rental housing, Governor Scott Walker commented about the Senate recall efforts.

Four more groups filed petitions in Madison on Thursday, bringing the total to five Republicans and three Democrats so far facing a recall election if enough signatures are valid.

"To me, recalls historically have been largely limited towards things like misconduct in office, not specific votes," the governor said, "and so I think many of us, Republican and Democrats alike, are uneasy about recalls. If there was an issue, though, I think there probably is a legitimate argument to be made that abandoning someone's job for three weeks might constitute misconduct in office."

http://www.wbay.com/story/14493764/2011 ... -in-office

The King would be wrong.
Recall gives voters the right to reconsider their choice of an elected official; however, it does not automatically result in removal of an official from office. It provides an opportunity for voters to require an elected official to run for office again before the expiration of his or her term.

http://gab.wi.gov/elections-voting/recall

Source the Wisconsin Gov Accountablity Board. I guess he thinks that if he says it, then it must be true :rolleyes:

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”