No Dark Matter Show Now (Again)

Discussion forum for Art Bell's new show on the internet, Midnight in the Desert. Come in and discuss the latest news on Art, the show and guests.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 02-12-2015 10:02 AM

Fan wrote: Better get Linda Howe on that one! Hoagie too!
Good idea! In the meanwhile so long as he can't seem to get the lead out, he outta at least get out the aluminum foil eh? (Harris Teeter, that is)...

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 02-13-2015 01:56 AM

Fan wrote: Art has obviously never heard of royalty free music or of paying licensing fees, which TONS of podcasts I listen to do.
He wasnt ever gonna do another show and this is his LEGIT way out of it.......

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 02-13-2015 03:06 AM

Dude111 wrote: He wasnt ever gonna do another show and this is his LEGIT way out of it.......
So this whole buildup for DM's return in July has been nothing more than a charade? What's up with THAT? Why go through the motions if he never intended to come back?

It's gotta be the alien mind control. That or Art really IS one sick twisted bastard...

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 02-16-2015 07:03 PM

And The Roller Coaster Continues -
Art has reversed course and is again posting messages as though his return is back on the rails. FULL STORY

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 02-17-2015 08:50 AM

Riddick wrote: And The Roller Coaster Continues -
Art has reversed course and is again posting messages as though his return is back on the rails. FULL STORY

Yeah he is like a kid trying to get attention. He has a tantrum then takes it back.

I said from the beginning what he needs is a good manager who knows the internet casting business. Then he could just sit down and talk like he should be doing. He is not an entrepreneur type.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 02-17-2015 11:44 AM

If Art would have paid attention to his fans (I mean, beyond their pocket books), he would have realized that on this forum alone exists several excellent and published musicians. All he had to do was ask -- he would have had more untethered music than he could possibly have used!

Just tapping into the talent & know-how here at the FF, he could have had a kick ass show up and running on the internet -- with music, with revenue. There was definitely a time when we would have put all hands on deck to make it happen. I mean... have any of you heard VOguy do voice over work? It's real. HB3 wrote, performed & published an original rock opera. We have fully legitimate technical talent here. Those are just a couple examples that I happen to be aware of. I am sure unbelievable opportunities would've appeared out of the ether if the call had gone out.

Look at the dedication here. Despite a wildly changing landscape since 2000 (twitter, facebook, etc.), these forums have survived. The conversation continues almost without pause. All Bell ever saw here was an opportunity to sell hot sauce.

The hard part is always the content, and Art does content really well. Unfortunately, he does business & image management exceedingly poorly.

I do have a solution for Art. I happen to be working on some music that I am willing to give him. So, if you are reading this, Art, here is a sample of what could be...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
Last edited by SquidInk on 02-17-2015 11:59 AM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 02-17-2015 11:54 AM

SquidInk wrote: If Art would have paid attention to his fans (I mean, beyond their pocket books), he would have realized that on this forum alone exists several excellent and published musicians. All he had to do was ask -- he would have had more untethered music than he could possibly have used!

Just tapping into the talent & know-how here at the FF, he could have had a kick ass show up and running on the internet -- with music, with revenue. There was definitely a time when we would have put all hands on deck to make it happen. I mean... have any of you heard VOguy do voice over work? It's real. HB3 performed & published an original rock opera. We have fully legitimate technical talent here. Those are just a couple examples that I happen to be aware of. I am sure unbelievable opportunities would've appeared out of the ether if the call had gone out.

Look at the dedication here. Despite a wildly changing landscape since 2000 (twitter, facebook, etc.), these forums have survived. The conversation continues almost without pause. All Bell ever saw here was an opportunity to sell hot sauce.

The hard part is always the content, and Art does content really well. Unfortunately, he does business & image management exceedingly poorly.

I do have a solution for Art. I happen to be working on some music that I am willing to give him. So, if you are reading this, Art, here is a sample of what could be...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

you friendly bastard! You always suck me in.

Good points though.

Thing is Art thinks Ride My See-Saw and Dancing Queen are the pinnacle of musical achievement and can accept nothing less. The fact that his main intro/outro music is relatively unknown and could be replaced with hundreds of different tunes matters not one whit.

He wants exactly the show he did with Premiere. The fact that is only barely possible won't change his mind, it is that or nothing.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 02-17-2015 11:56 AM

An example of a company that could host his show and take care of all the legal matters:
In November of 2014, American Public Media's Marketplace reported that TWiT makes million in ad revenue a year from 5 million TWiT podcasts downloaded each month, mostly in the form of audio, and that 3,000 to 4,000 people watch its live-streamed shows.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWiT.tv

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 02-17-2015 12:00 PM

Another venue he should be pursuing:

https://www.patreon.com/nightattack

This is a platform like kickstarter but where you pledge an amount each month/week for a show or the like.

The example I gave above, these 2 guys are getting $1k/week each for a 1-2 hour comedy show. This is a low amount compared to what Art could pull in if he tried. I'd say that would pay for any infrastructure costs, as well as pay some salaries at least in part.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 02-17-2015 04:20 PM

:pirateboa

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 02-17-2015 04:36 PM

From artbell.com
Debra Cook · Grand Rapids, Michigan
Art, for gosh sakes, do I have to come to Pahrump and have an intervention with you? Point 1: Talented amateur musicians all over the world would love to have their original songs showcased on your broadcast, royalty free. Just put out the request and a flood of great music would arrive in your Inbox. Point 2: You have to emotionally "let go" of the old music in your archive. Frankly, we the audience have heard it before, many times, and we need some tunes that are fresh and new. One of the big reasons that Snoory's show is so stale is that he keeps dipping into the old pool of music, over and over and over. Don't make the same mistake.
Danny Edwards · University of North Texas
Why does it feel like we're about to get used again?

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 02-17-2015 04:50 PM

I feel bad for Keith, he has been dragged through the mud on this one big time.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 02-17-2015 04:53 PM

hell if he put out the word in the right way to the Moody Blues and so on he may well get some custom-written pieces to use on his show for free. Twitter campaign. #makeartbumpers

Pretty much every podcast I listen to encourages user submissions and they get used for artwork or jingles. ie http://noagendaartgenerator.com/artworks

Return to “Art Bell's Midnight in the Desert”