"DARKER Matters" Coming to artbell.com? Paranormal

Discussion forum for Art Bell's new show on the internet, Midnight in the Desert. Come in and discuss the latest news on Art, the show and guests.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Is an artbell.com Paranormal Podcast Network an idea whose time has come?

Most of a certainty!
38%
It'll never work.
13%
Well, it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
13%
Splunge!
38%

Total votes: 8

LESTAT1999
Pirate

Post by LESTAT1999 » 11-25-2013 11:05 PM

THE WHOLE POINT WAS HAVING ART BACK. NOW HE IS NOT. SHOULD WE NOW HOLD ONTO THIS SITE AS A SITE WHICH GIVES US NOTHING. I WILL ONCE AGAIN EXPLAIN MYSELF. WILL ART COME OUT AND TELL US IN PLAIN WORDS WHAT HIS FUTURE HOLDS? WILL HE BE BACK SOON? IN 2 YEARS OR NEVER? THIS IS MY POINT. WE HAVE PONDERED ARTS RETURN AS YOU SAID ON SITES AND FORUMS FOR YEARS AND THEN WE GOT WHAT WE GOT? JUST WANT TO HEAR FROM HIM WHERE WE STAND. EVEN NOW I HOLD ONTO HOPE THAT ART MAY BE BACK AGAIN. AGAIN IF HE JUST WANTS TO USE HIS WEBSITE TO HAVE SHOWS PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THEM 1 HOUR PODCASTS. BRING SOMEONE NEW TO HOST A 3-4 HOUR SHOW. THAT WOULD SURELY GET POEPLE TALKING. THIS IS MY MEANING.

starrmtn001
Jester Mod

Post by starrmtn001 » 11-26-2013 12:17 AM

LESTAT1999 wrote: THE WHOLE POINT WAS HAVING ART BACK. NOW HE IS NOT. SHOULD WE NOW HOLD ONTO THIS SITE AS A SITE WHICH GIVES US NOTHING. I WILL ONCE AGAIN EXPLAIN MYSELF. WILL ART COME OUT AND TELL US IN PLAIN WORDS WHAT HIS FUTURE HOLDS? WILL HE BE BACK SOON? IN 2 YEARS OR NEVER? THIS IS MY POINT. WE HAVE PONDERED ARTS RETURN AS YOU SAID ON SITES AND FORUMS FOR YEARS AND THEN WE GOT WHAT WE GOT? JUST WANT TO HEAR FROM HIM WHERE WE STAND. EVEN NOW I HOLD ONTO HOPE THAT ART MAY BE BACK AGAIN. AGAIN IF HE JUST WANTS TO USE HIS WEBSITE TO HAVE SHOWS PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THEM 1 HOUR PODCASTS. BRING SOMEONE NEW TO HOST A 3-4 HOUR SHOW. THAT WOULD SURELY GET POEPLE TALKING. THIS IS MY MEANING.

Here is the contact link. I cannot give you the answers you want.
http://artbell.com/contact-us/

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 11-26-2013 01:20 AM

SquidInk wrote: So will Art be a kind of DJ for these podcasts? Or would the site just become an aggregator?
If not acting as a live DJ per se, I was thinking Art might do pre-recorded promo spots or bumpers for the programs. In any case, I'd hope the fledgling effort ultimately produces something well more than just one more paranormal website aggregator.

To that end, as a pro-rassling fan I can say there's a tradition in the business for popular seasoned vets who're reaching the twilight of the careers to 'give the rub' to up-and-coming stars, in a sense 'passing the torch' to any number of them by way of active association -

Similarly, to differentiate the various individual programs from "off-network" fare? IMHO, having Art as an occasional caller or guest on the shows would be a great attention-getter for them, even as they each hold onto to their distinguishing qualities and identities...

So much and so long as any podcaster CAN continue to carve their own unique niche, it'd be great if the network as a whole comes to have some of that special 'flavor' folks are looking for - and what better way than from a sprinkling of Art Bell's "Paranormal Punch"?

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 11-26-2013 09:54 AM

let's be clear though, although Art is sending out a stream, this is not live material. They are downloading it from Jim Harold then streaming it out.

Jim does not mention artbell.com on his own website - but Jim is pretty well organized, so I don't think he is needing much from Art. Basically Art is another distribution point for him.

Without Art actually doing a show or being a regular guest there is going to be issues with this.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 11-26-2013 05:56 PM

Fan wrote: let's be clear though, although Art is sending out a stream, this is not live material. They are downloading it from Jim Harold then streaming it out.
Well, indeed so much as what you say is true? To me, the notice on Art's site (emphasis mine) - "The stream will be active 30 minutes before the scheduled time of the show. We may repeat some shows, if they were pre-recorded" - gives the impression at least some shows on the network will air live, if not now perhaps at some point in the future.
Fan wrote: Without Art actually doing a show or being a regular guest there is going to be issues with this.
Agreed. Either Art's gotta be actively involved in some fashion, or I see the network pretty much going nowhere real fast.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 11-26-2013 06:39 PM

Riddick wrote: Well, indeed so much as what you say is true? To me, the notice on Art's site (emphasis mine) - "The stream will be active 30 minutes before the scheduled time of the show. We may repeat some shows, if they were pre-recorded" - gives the impression at least some shows on the network will air live, if not now perhaps at some point in the future.Agreed. Either Art's gotta be actively involved in some fashion, or I see the network pretty much going nowhere real fast.

I just don't see how they will stream someone else's show live. Podcasts are by their very nature recorded and edited. Some are streamed live, but usually only for the real fans since they include all the skype issues, trying to get people on phones, accidental swearing, etc etc etc. You get the ugly reality of live shows done by amateurs when you listen live. Plus, there is the technical issue of how Art will receive someone's show in real-time and then re-stream it.

Anyways, I am not poo-poo-ing it, just musing about what this actually means and is.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 11-26-2013 06:41 PM

Also, if they are re-streaming it they open themselves up to possible legal issues. What if one of the hosts foments unrest or advocates something illegal? By Art representing it as his own network's material will he not be possibly on the hook for this? What if they do a show saying 9/11 was an inside job? Will Art censor that?

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 11-27-2013 12:42 AM

Fan wrote: Also, if they are re-streaming it they open themselves up to possible legal issues. What if one of the hosts foments unrest or advocates something illegal? By Art representing it as his own network's material will he not be possibly on the hook for this? What if they do a show saying 9/11 was an inside job? Will Art censor that?
I dunno, Fan. Doesn't seem to me like Art's making any claim to airing exclusive content? At least not at this point - mebbe someone will create a brand-spanking new podcast just for the network - As it stands, the whole venture has kinda a question mark to it, donit?

Anahoo, so far's if or when hosts do something untold, perhaps one'a those standard disclaimers would do - something like "Opinions expressed on programs airing on the Art Bell Dark Matter Network are not necessarily those of the network management or owners."

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 11-27-2013 10:40 AM

It doesn't matter if it is exclusive. Think about radio, if a station plays something with a swear in it, no matter who recorded it, the station gets fined. When you stream something you take responsibility for it. Youtube gets sued every day for copyrighted material although they made none of it.

Anyways, he has a new schedule up now http://artbell.com/dark-matter-radio-schedule/

It specifically says there are live shows, but no indication which shows those are that I can see. edit: after checking I see these guys say they will be live http://podcastufo.com/

I have never heard of any of the guys/gals he lined up there, I wonder where he found them... I mean we have maintained a list of paranormal podcasts on 2 different forums for a decade now and I never saw any of these. Lots of new listening material to check out!

LESTAT1999
Pirate

Post by LESTAT1999 » 11-27-2013 10:46 AM

NICE TOO SEE THAT THERE ARE NEW POEPLE TO LISTEN TOO. ALSO LIKE THAT HE IS GOING TO RERUN THEM SO US WHO CANT LISTEN LIVE CAN HEAR LATER.

Return to “Art Bell's Midnight in the Desert”