11.21.13 From Art Bell: Update (Courtsey Of BellGab).

Discussion forum for Art Bell's new show on the internet, Midnight in the Desert. Come in and discuss the latest news on Art, the show and guests.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 11-25-2013 01:30 PM

You know, this sirius debacle is more exciting than his show was, sorry to say. It is like the Art Bell reality show. He is actually conversing with fans, getting passionate, doing stuff.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 11-25-2013 01:31 PM

racehorse wrote: Hi Squidink. :)

No, not me!

haha! Well there is his problem obviously. The wrong representation.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 11-25-2013 01:55 PM

Fan wrote: You know, this sirius debacle is more exciting than his show was, sorry to say. It is like the Art Bell reality show. He is actually conversing with fans, getting passionate, doing stuff.

Chatty on Bellgab
A man's character is his fate

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 11-25-2013 02:05 PM

Fan wrote: You know, this sirius debacle is more exciting than his show was, sorry to say. It is like the Art Bell reality show. He is actually conversing with fans, getting passionate, doing stuff.
Now that's a great observation. What if Art is attempting an elaborate Kaufmanesque performance - a performance that tells the story of a tired radio guy, his start and stop radio show debacles, and the drama that unfolds around him as he crashes around the medium trying to put the band back together (so to speak)?

That would be utterly brilliant, and worthy of a Hall of Famer.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 11-25-2013 02:34 PM

SquidInk wrote: Now that's a great observation. What if Art is attempting an elaborate Kaufmanesque performance - a performance that tells the story of a tired radio guy, his start and stop radio show debacles, and the drama that unfolds around him as he crashes around the medium trying to put the band back together (so to speak)?

That would be utterly brilliant, and worthy of a Hall of Famer.
Hah yep, an audio-only reality show. Nothing brings in ratings like conflict, and this was a pretty safe no-fallout conflict. He got tons of press, from "coming back" to "suddenly gone" and the whole story of everything, including (fake?) callouts against C2C and GN. Join the most active board (maybe some kickbacks to them?) and post all sorts of prurient details (without saying much).

I don't think it is that, but hey, I think the whole thing is much dumber than I took Art for, so maybe there is an angle there.

At least it allows me to keep some respect for him and understand what is happening.

:goodevil:

starrmtn001
Jester Mod

Post by starrmtn001 » 11-25-2013 02:57 PM

I've been an Art Fan since the Grassy Knoll Chat Room days.

The sound of his voice and the way he related to his audience was comforting to me. In a way, he helped me get through some pretty tough personal times back then.

Art will always have my honor. I will always have his back.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 11-25-2013 03:19 PM

I have listened to Art forever as well, however, while I enjoyed his program I don't give him a free pass on everything. He is an entertainer, and a good one when he is on his game, but he makes mistakes as we all do, and I think it is fine to comment on that.

He seemed totally uncaring for his fans in this mess, the very people who support him so much. We never got an explanation (unless you troll around all sorts of blogs and forums) and many of us lost money (money we pledged to his efforts in good will).

This is why he is getting criticized. He screwed up and then took off without a word to those who love and listen to him. Unacceptable when a small gesture is all he needed to do.

Now, he will use other people's content to stay relevant? Beurk.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 11-25-2013 04:58 PM

Art had me on board, no questions asked, until the wingnut episode. Now it's a different story. Now I am quite skeptical, and Art has to earn my ears like any other radio person.

I will always be thankful for the work he did in the 90's -- but the 90's are long gone. It was a time of questioning, resisting, and dreaming. 2013 is a much different place, and I'm not even sure "90's Art" would fly now. I mean, they send swat teams after Amish dairy farmers now - can you imagine what they would do to a person with a radio array, and a reserved line for Area 51 employees to call in and divulge classified information?

Art was essentially a pre-internet wikileaks type platform. He openly encouraged leaking (if we take the show at face value). We love(d) Art, but we hate Assange.

disconnect/time
Last edited by SquidInk on 11-25-2013 05:00 PM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Return to “Art Bell's Midnight in the Desert”