"Art Bell's Dark Matter"

Discussion forum for Art Bell's new show on the internet, Midnight in the Desert. Come in and discuss the latest news on Art, the show and guests.

Moderator: Super Moderators

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 10-23-2013 04:27 PM

Doka wrote: They have a lot of bad Karma coming back at them.

I would not put it past Clear Channel to hire someone to cast a Haitian vodou spell on Art. Maybe he needs to have Roland Hilaire and Evelyn Paglini come up with something that returns their mojo three fold. :)
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 10-23-2013 05:00 PM

voguy wrote: I would not put it past Clear Channel to hire someone to cast a Haitian vodou spell on Art. Maybe he needs to have Roland Hilaire and Evelyn Paglini come up with something that returns their mojo three fold. :)

:D

Excerpt from the Witches' Rede (I've always loved this....):

Where the rippling waters go,
Cast a stone and truth you'll know.
When ye have a true need,
Hearken not to others' greed.
With a fool no season spend,
Lest ye be counted as his friend.
Merry meet and merry part,
Bright the cheeks and warm the heart.
Mind the Threefold Law you should,
Three times bad and three times good.
When misfortune is enow,
Wear the blue star on thy brow.
True in Love ever be,
Lest thy lover's false to thee.

Eight words the Wiccan Rede fulfill:
"An ye harm none, do what ye will."

http://jadewang.tripod.com/wicca/redefull.html

I went to record last night's show and found........ no show. So I looked at his site and saw "replay Linda Moulton Howe" and thought, "This isn't good" thinking that he had a problem booking a guest. Never thought about his back acting up again. Hope he'll come around quickly..........

sistaelle
Pirate

oct 23rd "Raging or Flailing" LOL

Post by sistaelle » 10-24-2013 01:21 AM

It's worth the price of admission just to hear what Art says about Coast 2 Coast/ Snoory and their desperate attempts to keep listeners. Tonight he said that despite what had been said, he did not pick Noory as his replacement.. that he met him over lunch... advised him to make C2C his own rather than try to imitate him. He then said that apparently Noory ignored his advice, as last night Noory as heard using Art's phrase "..raging in the nighttime" or however he phrases it.
Then he added later "Did he say 'raging' or 'flailing'?"
LOLOL. Go Art!

Fan
Lady with a

Re: oct 23rd "Raging or Flailing" LOL

Post by Fan » 10-24-2013 01:26 AM

sistaelle wrote: It's worth the price of admission just to hear what Art says about Coast 2 Coast/ Snoory and their desperate attempts to keep listeners. Tonight he said that despite what had been said, he did not pick Noory as his replacement.. that he met him over lunch... advised him to make C2C his own rather than try to imitate him. He then said that apparently Noory ignored his advice, as last night Noory as heard using Art's phrase "..raging in the nighttime" or however he phrases it.
Then he added later "Did he say 'raging' or 'flailing'?"
LOLOL. Go Art!

yeah but then why did he say so many times, so emphatically "George gets it".
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

sistaelle
Pirate

Post by sistaelle » 10-24-2013 04:59 AM

I don't know to what you're referring.. i just played the segment again and i didn't hear that at all. He says it isn't true that he picked George- that he first met him over lunch.
(presumably where he was meeting him after the network picked him). Art tells about advising George (regarding taking over the show)
"Be yourself"- "Make it your own."..
He says listeners alerted him that as of last night George started saying "Raging in the Night" (Art's phrase) ..
to which Art adds-
"sometimes advice given over lunch isn't heard..."

The only thing Art said emphatically was after saying that George was using his phrase Raging in the Night was
"Really?? REALLY??" ..later adding
"Did he say Raging or Flailing?"

The story begins about 7 minutes into the show.

LeslieV
Pirate

Re: Re: oct 23rd "Raging or Flailing" LOL

Post by LeslieV » 10-24-2013 08:19 AM

Fan wrote: yeah but then why did he say so many times, so emphatically "George gets it".

I think it meant, back then, that George gets the show not that George 'gets it' but George gets it, the show.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 10-24-2013 09:45 AM

Does anyone remember how long a time it was George was filling in a few days a week when Art's back trouble flared up way back when? I don't recall if George was catching serious flack for his performance when he was only subbing.

In any case, considering what drugs Art may've been taking for the pain at the time, his "George gets it" statements may've been made while under narcotic influence.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 10-24-2013 10:32 AM

I heart that last night. Does anyone here think Art is a bit of a drama queen? Frankly so much of this sounds petty and not worth mentioning if I were Art.

The feeding frenzy regarding George is so infantile - it reminds me of the office folks stirring up the gossip and ((**&^^%.

George's style is much different than Art's - so ok. No one forces anyone to listen to C2C and if folks don't like it then don't listen.

Now Fan did bring up something about this being a put on for ratings and that could be possible. It never occurred to me but since he mentioned it I guess it could be so - altho so very childish I would be embarassed to participate - I think.::p

The folks at Bellgab - good grief it sounds like they all light up and drink and let hang out and the vitriole about George is just atrocious.

Then George apparently tries to reason with these folks - more out of curiousity than anything I think - and it inflames their opiate induced ravings all the more.
A man's character is his fate

LeslieV
Pirate

Post by LeslieV » 10-24-2013 12:39 PM

I never thought about the ratings angle but that sounds like Art and George. Go at it in a sort of on air tussle and from that both get a listen to and ratings go up for both although on XM I am not sure but they must look at the Internet listen so that would give a good idea.

C2C has its' stations and their ratings so they have a mark there.

I tend to listen to either depending on subject matter. C2C will have Linda on tonight and she always has good updates.

Art, right now, is the old gang mostly bringing us up to date or going over what was already said years ago to refresh the memory. Art did state he would have a few of the old guests on at first to get things rolling again.

Back to the Internet feed from Sirius then over to listen to my old friend Alejandro on C2C.

Hi Alejandro if you lurk here, miss you my friend! :)

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 10-24-2013 06:22 PM

Competition is good. May the better man win.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 10-25-2013 10:20 AM

Diogenes wrote: I heart that last night. Does anyone here think Art is a bit of a drama queen? Frankly so much of this sounds petty and not worth mentioning if I were Art.

The feeding frenzy regarding George is so infantile - it reminds me of the office folks stirring up the gossip and ((**&^^%.

George's style is much different than Art's - so ok. No one forces anyone to listen to C2C and if folks don't like it then don't listen.

Now Fan did bring up something about this being a put on for ratings and that could be possible. It never occurred to me but since he mentioned it I guess it could be so - altho so very childish I would be embarassed to participate - I think.::p

The folks at Bellgab - good grief it sounds like they all light up and drink and let hang out and the vitriole about George is just atrocious.

Then George apparently tries to reason with these folks - more out of curiousity than anything I think - and it inflames their opiate induced ravings all the more.

Howard Stern was a master of this fake fighting between hosts, or host and producer, and he is on Sirius...
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

Fan
Lady with a

Re: Re: Re: oct 23rd "Raging or Flailing" LOL

Post by Fan » 10-25-2013 10:21 AM

LeslieV wrote: I think it meant, back then, that George gets the show not that George 'gets it' but George gets it, the show.

Maybe that was the subtext, but Art was very clear, repeating show after show that GN was the right man for the job, because he gets it. He talked GN up for weeks if not months.

Diogenes
Pirate

Re: Re: Re: Re: oct 23rd "Raging or Flailing" LOL

Post by Diogenes » 10-25-2013 12:55 PM

Fan wrote: Maybe that was the subtext, but Art was very clear, repeating show after show that GN was the right man for the job, because he gets it. He talked GN up for weeks if not months.
That he did and I would imagine that was in his contract because he may have had a clause which attached itself to him promoting C2C and it's well being because it benefited Art to do so.

The in fighting sounds petty to my ear. George doesn't appear to make unkind statements about Art. I have no idea about behind the scenes but on air publically he is complimentary. Art on the other hand makes snide comments and I just think it's beneath him.
A man's character is his fate

Lore
Pirate

Post by Lore » 10-25-2013 06:18 PM

I clearly remember Art saying that George was the right choice because "He gets it."

On his first Sirius show Art said that he spoke those words about George because when Art retired and was passing the baton to George Clear Channel asked him to say something nice about George and not knowing what else to say he said "George gets it."

I only heard Art say this once when he retired, but I didn't always listen to every show so it is possible that he said it more than once.

As for the snide remarks I, too, think it is beneath Art. I think he is taking his anger towards Prem Rad out on George because he sees George as a representative of the radio entity. This is unfair because there are many talk show hosts that also work for Prem Rad that have nothing to do with running the company.

However, all this being said, the first salvo was fired when George had the reverse speech guy, what's his face, on the show as a slap to Art. George and company have also shuffled guests, and removed guests because they appear to be trying to do damage control and/or hurt Dark Matter.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 10-25-2013 06:45 PM

The broadcast media, and especially entertainment media, can be a bad bitch. But keep in mind that both sides are accomplishing one key thing. They are getting us all to notice them, and listen to hear of one side or the other is dogging the other guy. When I was in radio some 35+ years ago, my completion and I fabricated a "war" between us. Although both our stations pretty much played the same stuff, our stations seemed to have a divide within the town. And, there was room for the two of us. But we staged a fight, public name calling, pranks, and all sorts of things, followed by on air apologies for our actions. The newspapers and television ran with our charade and gave us plenty of free promotion. The end result was both our station's ratings shot up. So, in a way, if both George and Art continue their feud, it's good for their business.

On the other hand, Clear Channel is staffed and managed by weasels and putzs. And those are their good traits.

Return to “Art Bell's Midnight in the Desert”