The Ionosphere's Revenge

Ham Radio/SW DXing. Get involved! Let's take back America's Radio Waves! What's going on in ham radio in America...

Moderator: Super Moderators

voguy
Pirate

The Ionosphere's Revenge

Post by voguy » 03-11-2012 09:07 PM

A couple of us are noting the ionosphere is shifting badly. The result being, some stations which you normally hear from distances are gone, and other are coming in that I never hear.

For example, here in western Ohio I can usually hear 1120 KMOX St Louis MO, and 1140 WRVA Richmond VA.

Tonight I can't hear them, but I'm getting KWKH-1130 in Shrevesport LA like it's a local.

All the other biggies from New York and Chicago are missing.

Might be a fun night to twist the dial and see what you get.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 03-12-2012 10:06 AM

Closest I have to a quality AM radio is my low-end Yamaha receiver, and I suspect that its tuner is no better than my cheapo Radio Shack multi-band radio. So static is what I hear most - from my computer, mostly. I need a better remote antenna for it outside. All I have is a cheap loop that really helps, but is on a short leash inside. But I may try tonight and see what's there. I don't really dx much but did as a kid with my dad in his old pickup on a crappy Kraco am only radio. For me the best dxing was always in the car after midnight. Beeker Street from Chicago was a favorite of mine - Dad liked The Grand Ol' Opry out of Tennessee.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 03-12-2012 10:22 AM

Correction - Beaker Street was out of Little Rock. The dxed station I got from Chicago was WLS.. Not many R&R offerings in SW Missouri in the 70s - FM was vacated after midnight - so I was constantly dialing around hoping for good skip..

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 03-12-2012 03:03 PM

some cool stuff here http://www2.nict.go.jp/y/y223/simulation/ion/index.html although I mostly like the pretty colours :)

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 03-12-2012 03:19 PM

Car Radios are the best for AM reception nowadays!

And if you like FM also,this car radio BEATS ALL OTHERS!!

This thing is K-RAD!!

It filters out adjacent stations BETTER THAN ANYTHING I HAVE EVER HEARD!! (I think it switchs to a different filter once you tune in.. You hear splash for a second and then its mostly gone!!)

My friend has this in her 2004 Volkswagon Jetta and i desperatly want to order one to put in my room!! (I have a SONY car radio which isnt that good)

Also this IBOC crap is making things harder @ night on the AM band for sure to hear things.... I used to be able to listen to AM 800 (CKLW) but now THE LOCAL STATION ON 790 HAS IBOC ON WHICH WIPES OUT 800,810 slightly and 780,770 slighly... (Garbage.. What they maybe have 5 listeners on that digital crap??)
Last edited by Dude111 on 03-12-2012 03:25 PM, edited 1 time in total.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 03-12-2012 04:16 PM

I use an FT857D for home DXing and listening. Great radio. Or the Perseus SDR for serious listening.

Yeah, Dude, IBOC is a P.I.T.A. I have yet to see any payback in the technology which is flawed at best. It, and the mediocrity of programming have been responsible for the decline of AM radio.

Back on topic, this morning as I pulled out the driveway, CKLW was about a quarter of its strength, and I had country & western music on the frequency. It was at 6:30AM so probably someone in the eastern time zone. Although, with KWKH-1130 bombing in here last night, the field is really open for possibilities.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Ham Radio/DXing”