New Live Ham Radio show - 1st Guest Joe Walsh

Ham Radio/SW DXing. Get involved! Let's take back America's Radio Waves! What's going on in ham radio in America...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

New Live Ham Radio show - 1st Guest Joe Walsh

Post by Dale O Sea » 05-24-2011 07:47 PM

Leo Laporte is launching a new video netcast about Ham radio called Hamnation and it's starting right now on the TWiT network live stream.

live.twit.tv
Bob Heil the sound and microphone guy (Letterman has one on his desk) hosts with guest Joe Walsh ...yep, that Joe Walsh. He also does the theme song. So if you were waiting for amateur radio to be cool, this is the time.

Leo has live chat during the show too. same page as video link above. Ham fun!

Oh, did I mention, they are on RIGHT NOW! :eek:

Sinner
Pirate

Post by Sinner » 05-24-2011 11:27 PM

I would love to see this, I always knew Joe Walsh was a ham but never heard him talk much about it.
-Sinner

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 05-24-2011 11:42 PM

The show was pretty good, but this was the first one and still a little rough.

And to be honest - I love Joe and have bought his stuff from James Gang up thru the Eagles but he's a little stiff live. This was the "taping" of his show to be edited so the music wasn't even played and I really wanted to hear that.

ChecK the TWiT.TVsite tomorrow and look for HamNation and the video should be there..if they are pushing out as usual anyway. This is the first episode so might be a special circumstance.

Yeah, I'd like to get a radio my own self. Sounds fun, sorta. It would at least be handy skill to have.

Sinner
Pirate

Post by Sinner » 05-24-2011 11:48 PM

Yea, I will check it out. I want to catch that show pretty bad. I have always been a fan of Joe as well, great guitar player. Thanks for posting this Dale.

I am one of these guys who has to many interests and has a hard time fully committing to one hobby. I will have my ham ticket before long then I will start stretching wire across the yard, neighbors will love me. :D
-Sinner

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 05-24-2011 11:52 PM

Short attention span here too. I have a to do list with all the jobs started and none finished, heh.
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-25-2011 07:56 AM

great idea by Leo, Ham needs to "comeback".

This may well finally push me to get my license and get on the air, been meaning to for ... decades?

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 05-25-2011 09:51 AM

Fan wrote: great idea by Leo, Ham needs to "comeback".

This may well finally push me to get my license and get on the air, been meaning to for ... decades?

Exactly..me too, decades.

I was a little surprised when Leo agreed with Bob Heil that a ham show would be good, since he has always said demo and how-to type shows and segments were tedious and costly to make due to heavy editing and that it would also be bad live TV.

Bob tries real hard and wants this to work so we'll have to see how it goes. Supposedly in a couple of months TWiT gets their brand new studio digs to tape in, although, they were all remote via skype this time.

turtle101
Ship's Bartender

Post by turtle101 » 05-25-2011 12:19 PM

i did check it out. looks cool. check it out again, too
kd7gqf
73's
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

First show is out

Post by Dale O Sea » 05-28-2011 10:58 PM

Looks like they rolled this out a couple days ago while I wasn't looking. I haven't listened yet, meaning I haven't even heard Joe Walsh's theme music yet.

Ham Nation 1: The History Of Ham Radio

Host:
Bob Heil

This premiere episode explores the fascination with ham radio, a little rock and roll, and more.

Guests: Joe Walsh WB6ACU and Dave Jennings WJ6W

Download or subscribe to this show at -- http://twit.tv/hn

We invite you to read, add to, and amend our show notes at wiki.twit.tv.

Thanks to Joe Walsh who wrote and plays the Ham Nation theme.

Download Audio

Download Video (High)
Download Video (Low)

Subscribe to audio or video with iTunes, Miro, RSS on twit.tv/hnDownload Audio

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 05-29-2011 01:43 AM

Is this the same Joe Walsh of the EAGLES fame? If so, I won a set of his guitar strings last year in a VIP raffle.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 05-29-2011 01:55 AM

Bobbi Snow wrote: Is this the same Joe Walsh of the EAGLES fame? If so, I won a set of his guitar strings last year in a VIP raffle.
The very same guy, Bobbi Snow.

Were they new or used as I'd think either kind of Joe's guitar strings would have value. Autographed too? Even more.

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 05-29-2011 02:57 AM

Yeah... they were autographed, and the name of the last song he played on it was written in his hand-writing, on the outside of the clear envelop, and the date it was played. (I can't read his writing!LOL)

I'm sure they are worth money. But this is the first time we've ever gone to a LIVE Eagles concert, and it was on our anniversary. We had front row center seats, a buffet dinner, and a gift package (T-shirts, jackets, sweatshirts, autographed photos of all the band members, and a Program.) I wouldn't part with the guitar stings unless I felt the need to donate them for a specific charity, or if something happens to Rod and for some reason we'd be strapped for $$$. But I don't imagine they'd bring a great deal of money... not even on eBay.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 05-29-2011 03:15 AM

Sounds like you had a wonderful time and have an excellent reminder of that memory.

No Rocky Mountain Way you can put a price on that. :guitar:

starrmtn001
Jester Mod

Re: New Live Ham Radio show - 1st Guest Joe Walsh

Post by starrmtn001 » 05-29-2011 05:43 AM

Dale O Sea wrote: Leo Laporte is launching a new video netcast about Ham radio called Hamnation and it's starting right now on the TWiT network live stream.

live.twit.tv
Bob Heil the sound and microphone guy (Letterman has one on his desk) hosts with guest Joe Walsh ...yep, that Joe Walsh. He also does the theme song. So if you were waiting for amateur radio to be cool, this is the time.

Leo has live chat during the show too. same page as video link above. Ham fun!

Oh, did I mention, they are on RIGHT NOW! :eek:

I think Leo rocks. But I also honor Jeff Levy. He is the primo guru that I used to listen to on KFI at the "Turn Of The Century." Anyway, Leo is a good guy and I have his site bookmarked. But for the final word in tech stuff, I seek the wisdom of Jeff Levy. But, that's just me.:)

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 05-29-2011 09:30 AM

Great thread.., thanks!

Yeah, HAM has a lot of characteristics which appeal to me (as opposed to say, digital alternative 'X').

Radio technology is something that is underutilized these days. It's probably due to the over-the-top 'woo woo' factor with which all things digital are imbued.

I too have meant to investigate it further, and will certainly be checking out Laporte's netcast.

Return to “Ham Radio/DXing”