South Carolina GOP: Mark Sanford must go

Archive. Enter at your own risk. Unmoderated thread.

Moderator: Super Moderators

SETIsLady
Pirate

South Carolina GOP: Mark Sanford must go

Post by SETIsLady » 07-01-2009 09:30 PM

Gov. Mark Sanford’s long and emotional interview with The Associated Press Tuesday appears to have been the final straw for South Carolina’s Republican establishment, much of which is now actively seeking his resignation.

While Sanford seemed to have weathered the storm in the brutal days immediately following his admission of an affair with an Argentine woman, his support has cratered in the wake of the AP interview in which he talked of his “tragic” and “forbidden” love for his “soul mate” and admitted to having “crossed lines” with a handful of other women.

Fourteen GOP state senators — more than half the Senate Republican caucus — have already called for Sanford’s resignation, joining a list that, as of Wednesday afternoon, included 11 Republican members of the state House and six of the state's biggest newspapers.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/07 ... K474KWiF&D

BTW...I understand he is not willing to release the records of the taxpayer money spent on his affair. So he refused money for schools and the unemployed. Wanted to use the stimulus money to pay down debt for the State of SC, looks like part of the debt was his affairs ! Nice !!:rolleyes:

What did Sanford say, the stimulus amounted to "fiscal child abuse" ? Guess he doesn't care about his own kids.

Shirleypal
Pirate

The Republican Class of 1994 plagued with scandal

Post by Shirleypal » 07-02-2009 12:54 PM

July 2, 2009

The sex scandals that have tarnished Sen. John Ensign (R-Nev.) and Gov. Mark Sanford (R-S.C.) don’t appear to have much in common. Yet there is one thread that binds them together: Both Ensign and Sanford were members of the famed Republican House class of 1994, as well as its latest casualties.

As it turns out, the pressures and demands of political life have inflicted devastating damage not only on the Ensign and Sanford families, but on the families of many of the 71 other freshmen who formed the vanguard of the Republican Revolution.

In the 14 years since that star-crossed class arrived in Washington espousing an agenda that placed family values at its core, no less than a dozen of its members have been caught up in affairs, sex scandals or in messy separations and divorces from their spouses that, in more than a few instances, led to their political downfalls.

The problems started almost as soon as they took office, and by the end of their first year in Congress, the marriages of at least four Republican freshmen had collapsed.

One of the first to see his marriage unravel was Rep. Jim Bunn (R-Ore.) who, not long after taking office in 1995, divorced his wife, married one of his political aides, and later elevated her to chief of staff. Bunn lost his 1996 reelection bid.

Rep. Enid Greene, who became the first female member of Congress from Utah in 1994, spent most of her single term in the House dealing with a scandal of her husband’s making. Joe Waldholtz, who married Greene in 1993, embezzled millions of dollars that he used to help finance her campaign. Once authorities finally caught up with Waldholtz, Greene filed for divorce and took custody of the couple’s daughter. She did not run for reelection in 1996.

Former Rep. Jon Christensen (R-Neb.) was another high-profile casualty — he divorced his wife during his first term after she admitted to marital infidelity.

All of this came despite an acknowledgment at the start of the 104th Congress that the grueling pace of work in Washington could tear families apart. Then-newly installed House Speaker Newt Gingrich, who later got divorced for a second time in 2000, even warned as much.

And Gingrich pledged to do something about it, setting up a bipartisan task force, the Family Quality of Life Advisory Committee, to rethink the congressional work-life balance.

“We have established the principle that we are going to set schedules we stick to so families can count on time to be together, built around school schedules so that families can get to know each other, and not just by seeing us on C-SPAN,” Gingrich said in a speech at the opening of the 104th Congress on Jan. 4, 1995.

Several Republican members of the class said the ambitious push to enact the provisions of the Contract with America, coupled with the stresses of being a new member of Congress, took a heavy toll on their personal lives.

Mark Neumann, a Wisconsin Republican who was elected to the first of two House terms in 1994, said that when he came to Washington, he initially had trouble balancing congressional duties with his responsibilities as a husband and father.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/07 ... K8L9bzNA&D

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 07-02-2009 01:27 PM

I don't know why everybody is getting so upset! At least Sanford and Ensign were putting it into the right hole of the right sex! That's all that Jehovah cares about, folks. Everything else is trivia...
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

cherry
Pirate

The Blue Dress

Post by cherry » 07-10-2009 07:03 AM

Does this include Monica?

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-10-2009 01:06 PM

Well cherry - seems the dems just shrug it off and say - it was all about sex.... but let a gop have similar - and all media hype hits the fan....

There is a source of politicians involved in affairs through search engines....might be the time to refresh that list and see what happened to those involved. (goes for dem as well as gop)

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 07-10-2009 02:04 PM

Heard in passing on cable network news yesterday:

'Jackie Kennedy's secret affair with Bobby Kennedy'. Seems there is a new book out.

This kind of behavior is the norm in our society. Discussing it in a public forum (Media) so extensively as though it is not, is what is most unusual here.

These issues have little to do with what really matters. It is more in the public interest to focus on the economy, the environment and survival, and etc...

imo

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 07-10-2009 03:21 PM

The Europeans take a much broader and (IMO) more adult view on these things. If it doesn't involve an animal or a child, I could care less. What does fry my cookies, is when it come from one of the "holier than thou", so called, moralists. Gingrich, McCain, etc. Pious, pious, pious until it involves their penis.:D
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 07-10-2009 03:38 PM

John McCain, a "holier than thou" moralist? :eek:

I don't think so! ;)
racehorse

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 11-23-2009 06:43 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/11/23/ ... a.sanford/

South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford faces 37 ethics charges

From Peter Hamby, CNN Political Producer

(CNN) -- The South Carolina Ethics Commission has charged Gov. Mark Sanford with 37 counts of violating state ethics laws, according to a complaint released by the commission on Monday.

The complaint follows a three-month investigation into Sanford's use of taxpayer money.

Sanford is accused of using tax money to buy business-class airfare on domestic and international flights, flying on a state-owned aircraft to political gatherings or events "which involved no official business," and spending campaign funds for personal use such as buying a ticket to attend President Obama's inauguration in January.

South Carolina law requires state officials to buy the lowest fares available for flights, and bars the use of state aircraft for personal use.

Sanford's office did not respond to requests for comment about the charges.

The governor, once a rising star in the Republican Party before he revealed an extramarital affair in June, faces a hearing along with his legal team before a three-member ethics panel. Cathy Hazelwood, general counsel to the state Ethics Commission, said no date has been set for the hearing.

After arguments are presented, the panel will determine if Sanford broke any state laws. The ethics case involves civil charges that are punishable by fines, and Sanford can appeal decisions up to the state Supreme Court.

Only the state attorney general, Henry McMaster, can decide to pursue criminal charges against the governor. McMaster is reviewing the allegations to determine if any laws were broken.

The new charges compound Sanford's political problems, which have been simmering for months as investigators scrutinized his finances.

State legislators already have filed an impeachment resolution against the governor for leaving the state this summer to visit his Argentine mistress without installing a proper chain of command or informing his staff. A special House subcommittee will meet in Columbia on Tuesday to formally consider the resolution for the first time.

State Rep. Greg Delleney, a Republican and one of the sponsors of the impeachment resolution, said he expects the subcommittee to look over the ethics commission results during the Thanksgiving holiday and decide whether to adjust the measure to include material from the ethics complaint.

Delleney said he thinks Monday's report will give new momentum to the impeachment push.

"The sheer volume of the violations might be useful in bringing some more representatives over to the side of impeachment," Delleney said.

If the special subcommittee decides to move forward with impeachment, the resolution will be passed onto the Judiciary Committee, which will then vote on whether to bring it to the floor of the legislature when lawmakers return to the state capital of Columbia in January.

For Sanford to be forcibly removed from office, two-thirds of the South Carolina House and and two-thirds of the state Senate must vote to impeach him.
racehorse

Prker
Pirate

Post by Prker » 11-25-2009 12:02 AM

Give me a break! Did Clinton compensate the tax payers for his tryst with Monica in the Oval Office. No, I am not slinging mud at Clinton.

Point being, Clinton was not impeached for what it cost him to get a BJ or whatever from Monica, in the Oval Office, which the taxpayers pay for. In my opinion, some residents of SC. only find Sanford's impeachment as a fast way to get who they don't want, out of office!

Another, IMO, India is much better off than the USA. Less deficit and more gold!

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 12-11-2009 10:33 AM

It looks likes he skated on being impeached as Governor, but Mrs. Sanford has decided to impeach him as her husband. I feel very bad for her and the children.

Gov. Mark Sanford's wife to file for divorce

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... orce-1-2/1
Statement from First Lady Jenny Sanford

Columbia, S.C. – December 11, 2009 - As so many of us know, the dissolution of any marriage is a sad and painful process. It is also a very personal and private one. Because Mark and I are
public figures, we have naturally had less privacy with which to deal with our difficulties than do other couples.

Indeed, I know it will soon become known so I choose to release this brief notice that I am now filing for divorce. This came after many unsuccessful efforts at reconciliation, yet I am still dedicated to keeping the process that lies ahead peaceful for our family.

I remain thankful to so many across this state and nation for their words of encouragement and prayers during this difficult time.

Please know the boys and I are doing well and are blessed with the incredible support of friends and family and bolstered by our faith and the unfailing love of our God above.
http://media.thestate.com/smedia/2009/1 ... titialskip

Return to “Politics and Government 2004-2009”