We Can't Ignore the Subject Much Longer.... BROKEBACK MOUNTA

Grassroots democracy. We need to secure our country from the global elites. Act now! Get informed.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 02-19-2007 12:26 AM

Had to click on that link, I really thought you were joking, who knew.:D

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 02-19-2007 12:35 AM

It gets worse...

Here is the reaction of the Bears to the commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPEw0N9ORVI&NR

And here is the reaction of the Colts to the commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOSlesmeMMQ

It's OVAH, folks! When the Super Bowl champions gay sex, then it's definitely OVAH. Ring down the curtain on this production...

:D :D :D
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 02-19-2007 12:53 AM

Do you think these guys have a problem, they are acting like this kind of thing doesn't exist. LOL

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 03-08-2007 09:44 PM

Great Pic of Jake

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 05-12-2007 09:23 PM

Well I finally saw Crash the other night on Showtime or one of those mortgage your house to pay for channels, how this got the Oscar over Brokeback Mountain I will never know, must have missed something here. Joe I know you said America isn't ready for a movie like Brokeback Mountain, well if that is true why did so many people see it and why did it get nominated, why Joe, tell me.+

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 05-13-2007 11:12 AM

Well, well, Shirleypal. So you finally got a chance to see Crash… I liked the film, more than most people who saw it did, but you must remember that at the time of the 2005 Oscars in February of 2006, Dubya was still riding high. Hollywood was terrified of opposing him politically at the time, and the idea of giving a homosexually-themed film the Best Picture Oscar was out of the question. (Who knows what would have happened if the producers had released Brokeback Mountain just one month later, in January of 2006, rather than in December of 2005? It is quite possible that in February of 2007, in the wake of the faux-revolutionary election of 2006, it might just have won the Oscar as a politically safe act of defiance…) The look on Jack Nicholson’s face as he announced the winner of the Best Picture Oscar in 2006 told it all: the fix was in! And now Hollywood has to live with the shame…

Since Shirleypal has been foolish enough to unearth a grave that might be better off buried and forgotten, allow me to continue the discussion in this thread on a related key by bringing your attention to another “gay-themed” film that has gotten a lot of publicity this past spring --- The History Boys, which came out on DVD in mid-April and which I saw approximately a week later. This film, which started its life on the London stage as a play in 2004, came over to the colonies in the summer of 2006, where it ran for twenty weeks at the Broadhurst Theatre on Broadway. Last June, it won six Tonys --- the greatest number of Tonys for a play since Death of a Salesman in 1949 --- as well as the prestigious New York Drama Critics Circle Award for Best Play. Hmmm, I remarked at the time, as I filed the play in the back of my mind for future reference, especially after I learned that it was in the genre of the teacher-student play (for which I have been a hopeless sucker since Dead Poets’ Society).

Well, I saw The History Boys, and I am shocked to say that I did not like it at all. On the surface, the play is a condemnation of the Thatcherite educational “reforms” of the early 1980s, which trashed the British educational system in exactly the same way as the Reaganite educational “reforms” of the mid 1980s trashed the Amerikan educational system and as the “Sarko” educational “reforms” of 2007 will trash the French educational system. And yes, from time to time, playwright Allen Bennett does get a superb stab at “the Iron Maiden”’s obsession with “educational performance for results.” But he did not go far enough in this direction to satisfy my political lust for fascist blood. But what really bothered me about the film was ----------- its relentless homoeroticism!

“WHAT?,” you squeal, “YOU, the biggest fag-lover on The Fantastic Forum, complaining about homoeroticism in a film! WHAT?” Yes, folks, it’s true. I am actually quite a prude, and only my passionate romanticism even can overcome my instinctive prudishness. Jack and Ennis, the Romeo and Juliet of our age, are one thing, as I readily acknowledge, but “the history boys” are quite another. As Queen Victoria would have phrased it, “we are not amused” by the sexual shenanigans of the film. Not at all, guv’ner, not at all!

There are touching moments in the film, one of them being the occasion when the short, plain, Jewish --- and deeply gay --- Posner takes the opportunity of a class musical exercise to serenade his inamorato Dakin with a moving rendition of “Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered” from Lorenz and Hart’s Kismet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEDh4zMmZ00

Believe me, folks, this is the most chaste moment in the film, and everything else goes downhill from there! And that Dakin, oh God, what a piece of work he turns out to be --- Jack and Ennis would tire iron him themselves in a blind rage! I can’t get into the sordid details here, because I don’t want to spoil the movie for those of you who might be interested in seeing it, but suffice it to say that everybody --- with one notable exception --- ends up having a gay old time in this film. Much to my discomfort!

I am afraid that my opinion of this film is very much along the lines of Richard Roeper’s vicious and dead-on review:

http://tvplex.go.com/buenavista/ebertan ... y_boys.mp3

So there you go! Have any of you seen this film? If so, let me know if I am in the ballpark here, or whether I am just being gratuitously homophobic. Enquiring minds, as they say, want to know… :D :D :D

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 05-13-2007 04:09 PM

Did this guy see the same film that I saw? Or is my mind so totally in the gutter that I have become incapable of seeing anything but filth? Enquiring minds want to know…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMTukkE7oIw

The reviewer is wrong on one point. The scene that takes place in the ruined Benedictine Abbey of Fountains is arrestingly beautiful in its setting... Bare ruined choirs where late the sweet birds sang...

And here’s the unexpurgated trailer for The History Boys, the one that never made it to the theaters, for obvious reasons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AubBDjSiE14

Rudge’s definition of history is the best line of the film! :D :D :D

There is one excellent scene in the film where the gay teacher discusses a Thomas Hardy poem with Posner, the gay student. Here is the poem that they discuss:

http://illyria.com/hardydrm.html

A Dead Poets' Society quality scene, to be sure, but still, there are too many bloody nancies about for my taste, mate! What do you think? :D :D :D
Last edited by joequinn on 05-13-2007 04:18 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 05-13-2007 04:37 PM

Thank you so much for the information I didn't want to know and didn't ask for.:D
Number one I did like Crash but I stand by what I said, it shouldn't have won over Brokeback, I don't know how you can compare movies that get nominated, there has to be a better way don't you think.

Now about The History Boys, I didn't know a thing about it until you so graciously told me all about it, I did like the rendition of Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered and there is another very good one, Bye Bye Blackbird, another favorite standard, oh and speaking of standard I guess the 50 second reviewer which lasted three minutes and ten seconds thought it a movie about standards and getting into Oxford and Cambridge by knowing how to sing. Not sure this is something I want to see.

Seems all I see in these gay movies are these sweet young gorgeous men who like other sweet young gorgeous men (oh damn) such is life. From what you describe Joe it wasn't tastefully done like B.B.M. so methinks I shall pass, at least this time.

I do agree Joe that everything is timing, what a difference a month may make. I was at Blockbuster the other day to rent "The Queen", waste of time and money and out of curiousity I asked how often B.B.M. is rented, I was told quite frequently.
Last edited by Shirleypal on 05-13-2007 04:43 PM, edited 1 time in total.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 05-13-2007 05:01 PM

Shirleypal, I thought that The Queen was an interesting film. It did not romanticize the Queen, and I thought that Helen Mirren, whom I have liked very much for many years, was “spot-on” (as the Brits would say) as Liz II. The actor who portrayed Tony Blair also was quite good, although I was appalled at the sympathetic way in which that traitor to his people and that murderer of innocent women and children is depicted. No bloody nancies in this film, Shirleypal, which only goes to show that art is not life! :D :D :D

Please, somebody who saw The History Boys! Tell them that I maligned a great film and that my mind floats in the cinematic sewer with the rest of the garbage! :D :D :D

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 05-13-2007 05:11 PM

Joe let me apologize for giving this amazing thread a bump up, I for one never want to see it die, you have put your heart and soul into it and for those who haven't read it shame on you.

Swerdloc
Pirate

Post by Swerdloc » 05-13-2007 05:19 PM

I haven't yet seen The History Boys, Joe, but I had heard good things about it and it looks interesting, even though it's full of poofters. I have to thank you for providing the YouTube links, though, because they led me to a performance of Patti LuPone singing "Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered," and then to several other Patti LuPone videos, including some obviously pirated bits from "Evita." Patti LuPone is something special. :D

IMHO, "The Queen" was pretty darn good and Helen Mirren deserves every honour she can be given from it. Michael Sheen was also top-notch as Tony Blair (notice the Fender Stratocaster in his office soon after he moves into No. 10?), and made me feel much more charitable toward Blair than I thought was possible.
Anchors Aweigh

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 05-13-2007 05:23 PM

Yes, I am quite proud of this thread. It is one of my better contributions to the revolution, filled with the good ole passionate romanticism that warms the cockles of my heart.

Don't bury this thread yet, folks. Adam Sandler's gay fireman comedy is coming out on July 21st, and I am sure that it will set us all back on the straight and narrow, right away!

Marx may have been right: "Everything in history happens twice --- the first time as tragedy, the second time as farce." We'll see soon, won't we?

:D :D

And oh, here's the Wikipedia entry on The History Boys:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_History_Boys

I note, for the record, that Wikipedia classifies the film under the heading of "Modern Pederasty." 'Nuff said!

God, I love to épater les bourgeois! Yes, yes, I know, I'm so bad, so very bad! :D :D

And hey, Swerdloc, the film is set in 1983. Do you think that they all decided to try for Oxford because they saw Brideshead Revisited on the telly? Could be, Swerdloc, could be... :D :D
Last edited by joequinn on 05-13-2007 05:43 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Linnea

Lawsuit filed over ‘Brokeback’ showing

Post by Linnea » 05-13-2007 08:33 PM

msnbc.com 5-13-07

CHICAGO - A girl and her grandparents have sued the Chicago Board of Education, alleging that a substitute teacher showed the R-rated film “Brokeback Mountain” in class.

The lawsuit claims that Jessica Turner, 12, suffered psychological distress after viewing the movie in her eighth-grade class at Ashburn Community Elementary School last year.

The film, which won three Oscars, depicts two cowboys who conceal their homosexual affair.

Turner and her grandparents, Kenneth and LaVerne Richardson, are seeking around $500,000 in damages.

“It is very important to me that my children not be exposed to this,” said Kenneth Richardson, Turner’s guardian. “The teacher knew she was not supposed to do this.”

According to the lawsuit filed Friday in Cook County Circuit Court, the video was shown without permission from the students’ parents and guardians. Richardson had previously complained to school officials about reading material he said contained curse words.

“This was the last straw,” he said. “I feel the lawsuit was necessary because of the warning I had already given them on the literature they were giving out to children to read.”

Messages left over the weekend with school district officials were not immediately returned.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18647060/

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 05-13-2007 08:38 PM

The plantiff is probably just another fundi freak, but the teacher is wrong, just the same, to show the film and the school is wrong to have allowed him to do so. I personally do not believe that people under 18 should view this film. Of course, if you check out YouTube, you will find that 12 year old kids are making videos of the most explicit parts of Brokeback Mountain with gusto. Oh well... <SIGH>

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 05-13-2007 09:15 PM

Probably right, Joe. In this case though, the parents are the ones causing the most damage, imo. They should have talked with their daughter, in a most loving and responsible way - and left it at that.

Return to “American Survival”