*alright!*

Ham Radio/SW DXing. Get involved! Let's take back America's Radio Waves! What's going on in ham radio in America...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Linnea

*alright!*

Post by Linnea » 05-10-2003 08:31 PM

Well, got my General License today when I passed the code test. It was a trying experience. Thought I was well prepared, but it was a toss up. I had to wrestle the certificate away from them! Ha! Boy am I glad that is over with! :D

So...now need to get some antennas up, and get the shack equipment grounded.

Ya think I'm going to run out and get a keyer and start sending code!!!

{{well - I may do that, when I get some more practice in ;) }}

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 05-10-2003 08:42 PM

SUPER!!

Congrats Linnea, I'll be joining you soon.

(Harder than you expected huh? Hmm... guess I had better hit the books a couple more times. I don't want to fall flat on my face! :eek:

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 05-10-2003 09:41 PM

Sounds great, mudwoman! Will you take the tests together? The current Tech test will become obsolete at the end of June. You really should go and take that one now. The book and the question pool will change - and I think there may be more questions in the pool. The tech test may be harder than the general. {I passed the general written last month. It wasn't too bad. Just read the book and take the practice tests until you are consistently passing them. I believe it is important to do the practice tests. Build confidence, etc.} Or - maybe the general just seemed easier as the material was familiar. I studied the code for 6-8 weeks, everyday - for at least 30-45 minutes. A good practice site for both the tests and the code practice is http://www.aa9pw.com Have you tired that site? It will be grand when we are able to yak on the air! I am so glad you are inspired to get your licenses...
:D:D:D
Last edited by Linnea on 05-10-2003 09:44 PM, edited 1 time in total.

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 05-11-2003 03:33 AM

I am confused (again :confused: ) ---

March 1, 2003

The Question Pool Committee, of the National Conference of Volunteer Examiner Coordinators, has released the following draft syllabus for the new Element 3 General class Question Pool.

This syllabus will be used when developing the new General class question pool that will become effective July 1, 2004.

http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/gp-syllabus-2004.html

I can't find anything about the tech test changing??

Can you help me?

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 05-11-2003 03:35 AM

Linnea - Duh!! Never mind. I found it. :o

Gwen
Pirate

*~WOW~*

Post by Gwen » 05-11-2003 12:29 PM

Congratulations, Linnea!
I am so in awe of your ability to do so many things so well!
I had planned to take Tech test next Saturday, but with a lot of other things taking up my time these past weeks, I havent had time to study, so will test May24 or June 7, probably June 7th..it will definitely be before July1st when the test question pool goes from 300 something to over 800 questions. I don't know if I will ever be able to get higher than tech, because CW just seems soooo difficult for me. Anyway, I am very proud of you!!!

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 05-11-2003 10:25 PM

Gwen - You will certainly be able to pass the Tech test. Have you done the practice tests online? They give you a random selection of 35 questions from the pool of 200 - for the current test. There are only 200 questions in the pool. They can not ask you any questions that are not in the pool - and they are phrased exactly the same way. By the time you take 20-30 online tests and pass them consistently (let's say, missing no more than 3 or 4 at the most) - hey, you are ready to go. Try Simon's site (also recommended by Bonnie Crystal) http://www.aa9pw.com He runs the random selection of test questions there. First read the book throughly. Which you probably have done. Take notes. I did - and it sure helps you remember. Then start taking the tests online.

It worked for me to get the ARRL book for the general class - and get that test out of the way before I got to the code full time. Just getting and reading the general class book will show you the general test is not as hard as the Tech test. It seems a natural thing to do - to just fine tune what you already know (with not so much emphasis on electrical circuits... ;) )...to just get the general test out of the way.

The only code I studied was on Simon's page. To tell the truth - I barely passed the code. The examiner was surprised I had enough solid copy (min 25 characters) without mistakes. Really blew it! I was doing much better copy at home. But - what the heck. I'll take what I can get! And the examiner was not fooling around! No way do they cut you any slack. I should have practiced for another month or so, but I was in a hurry - as I want to get on the air here with some hams and also on the air with an uncle in Colorado.

And now, going for the Advanced? You bet! I think it is now or never - while it is fresh in my mind. I heard the Advanced is a bitch, with a lot of math, etc... I ordered a used copy of the book for 3 bucks online - and will see what I am up against when it gets here in a week or so. I think I'll study that, then get the Gordon West - current question pool - and study that as well. My uncle is teasing me about being a general (duh....'so should I salute you now...' hehhheh) - so - would like to go as afar as possible.

Will need to get this equipment together here next though - and actually begin to use it - or, I am just a paper ham :D

Today, went and got the ground wire and coax for the di-poles. I am getting a lot of noise and am not able to hear the weaker signals around the exact frequencies. Also have lot of RFI - static, I think - coming back into the receiver. Really need an antenna tuner, but currently out of my reach - expense wise. Also should help to read the manual that came with the radio! {talk about boring...I am too spoiled with modern communications. Plug and Play mentality - heh}

Well - this is running long {into my usual essay length posts} so - anyhow, Gwen - I am sure you can do this and am glad you are going in for the test soon. You can do the code and the general as well. It is not as difficult as you think. Not at all. How about you, mudwoman? I would love to get together with you guys on a 'net. We need more xyls :rolleyes: out there on the airwaves! :)

73 & 19.5
Last edited by Linnea on 05-11-2003 10:31 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Gwen
Pirate

Post by Gwen » 05-11-2003 11:38 PM

Thanks for the encouragement, Linnea. I have "Now You're Talking"...I want to really learn something, not just memorize the questions, as some suggest...I guess it is going to 500 or so question pool, not 800, huh? Anyway, it is something I have wanted to do for more than 17 years, when I started volunteering with Red Cross...after husband got so sick in 1987, everything got put on hold while I worked 2 jobs to pay the bills...now things are a little easier, so maybe I can do it at long last!

juno4
Pirate

Post by juno4 » 05-11-2003 11:44 PM

Congratulations! Linnea!!!!

You done did it too!!! I knew you would get it.

And I know what you mean...my test was harder than I thought...I was also doing great online..but...Like the hams said "who cares?" You Passed!

Here in Canada we have only 2 exams to take, basic and Advanced both 100 questions. maybe it is equal to the USA exams because you have 3 tests plus code and up here it is 2 tests plus code but more questions per test.

Way to go Girl!

Ps What did you use to study CW?

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 05-12-2003 12:47 AM

Hi juno :) It will be nice to get your call sign. Did you say you chose 3 or so - and you will be assigned one of those choices? As for CW, I only studied on Simon's site http://www.aa9pw.com In fact, I need to send him and email and thank him for his great 'free' service he is providing for amateur radio. He has CW practice set up there on java. Check it out.

There was a guy at the testing center here Saturday who passed the CW test with only a month of study. He said he was using the CW CDs you can get through the ARRL.org website. He said the test was a 'breeze' for him, and he had no previous experience with the code.

Good luck with your code study. Hope you will soon feel comfortable enough to take the test and pass it. If we could get out on 6 meters, we could all tap out code practice for each other. Wonder if we could get on repeaters all the way from Nanaimo, through port Townsend to Phoenix? - on the 2 meter band...

ARRL sends out code, and I believe you can take a code test with an on air transmission from ARRL headquarters. I read somewhere you could do the code test this way. Check out the ARRL.org website for info on that.

MeesterCranky
Pirate

Post by MeesterCranky » 05-26-2003 10:47 PM

I just tonight sent off for the "Now You're Talking" book.. and a couple others on the ARRL site - and am looking forward to learning about how to get on the air.

Since I intend eventually to get the general class license - someday soon I hope - I am looking at a radio on ebay which is identical to my dads old radio.

here it is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :B:BN:US:1

I know this is HF equip and it lists 10, 12, 15,17, 20, 30, 40, 90 and 160 meter bands on this radio.. but I was wondering if someone can tell me (duh, I'm a newbie) will it also work on the technician class freqs of 6 meters, 2 meters, etc.

Another thing I can't seem to figure out is about antennas.. since dad used this rig I am going to move his old antenna to my place and set it up.. but it appears there are many different antennas for different bands. Not sure what he worked mostly but it seems I wanna say 20 meters. I shoulda been paying attention, Dad!

Oh well, see you all on the air soon.
"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."
Voltaire

juno4
Pirate

Callsign...

Post by juno4 » 05-27-2003 09:07 PM

Hi Linnea,

Yep finally got my callsign today...VA7PLH. It sure is exciting. Haven't had a lot of time for the CW studying the last couple of weeks, but I'm still determined to get it. that will give me everything I need to do everything except build ny own radio...and at this point who cares! Ithink that's a grat I dea to see if we can yak with each other...there are repeaters all up and down the island here. and 2 here in Nanaimo. or we could use echolink. I have no idea how to do these things yet but soon I will.

Up here we get to choose 3 call signs out af the data base of available signs...and then the powers-that-be assign one of them to you.

Here is the site for info regarding the Canadian licences and what a person is able to do with each one. take a look.
http://www.rac.ca/arast.htm

PS sounds like a great time at the conference..I'm impressed with all your work. :>)

Linnea

Congrats! VA7PLH...

Post by Linnea » 05-29-2003 09:13 PM

Hearty congratulations, Juno! :) You have done very well! Kewl call letters too. I am not sure about getting on a 2 meter net from Nanaimo, BC through Seattle and elsewhere. The FM bands are short range, and only have a local reach. I don't know anything about Echo Link. Let me know if you have information on it. Is that a program where you communicate through the pc? Good luck on the code! I learned as much as I could on http://www.aa9pw.com website. Maybe it will work for you.

What equipment do you have set up?

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 05-29-2003 09:20 PM

Meester Cranky - The Kenwood Radio on the eBay auction is up to $410 now - with 3 days to go. Is your bid still working? I read the specs - and I'll admit I do not know that much about radios - but it sounds like a good deal. Kenwood has a great reputation. Antenna tuners cost anywhere from $300 and up - far as I can tell - so that is included here. I think you would need to buy a power supply though. That may cost another couple hundred. I would be somewhat wary of buying on eBay, although I think a lot of hams do buy and sell on eBay. Sounds like a good seller and a good rig. Maybe some of the experienced hams will weigh in. Good luck! Let us know how you do on the auction...

Return to “Ham Radio/DXing”