Icom 718 up for grabs

Ham Radio/SW DXing. Get involved! Let's take back America's Radio Waves! What's going on in ham radio in America...

Moderator: Super Moderators

swimmbadd
Pirate

Icom 718 up for grabs

Post by swimmbadd » 04-22-2003 08:45 PM

Wanted to give this deal to Linnea.
FREE all you have to do is pay shipping.

I get to tempted to get on it when I'm drinking /
and I really don't want to go to jail
$750.00 Freebie.
Let me know
It's been modified to you'll actually be getting more rado than the original package (Jees I am super tired)
Linnea If you want It's yours
every one else $300.00
BYW it's a moble but I've be useing it for a base station

--Rick--

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 04-22-2003 09:17 PM

Hey, Rick - if you're serious, that would be fantastic! It could be a donation to the Fantastic Forum. Would like to set up some streaming audio for some of the Ham groups and nets. Email me the details. Sounds great!

swimmbadd
Pirate

Post by swimmbadd » 04-26-2003 08:39 AM

It's been swabbed down with alcohol and repacked and is ready to go.
Any takers?

--WYDHF--

Sorry folks it won't wont happen again.
Mud duck has left the building

Quack Quack
:D

swimmbadd
Pirate

Post by swimmbadd » 04-26-2003 09:41 PM

Sorry but I think had a comunnication break down

I just got back on line tonight for real
I got the key board last night but I haven't had time to get on line

Saw the Thunder Birds today tthast was really cool,,, but they nefver did fly striaght up overe the crowd..

Thats what I love ,,,,,
when They fly stiaght up it freakin makes a little earth quake.
But for safty reaaons they couldn't do it
That just a small pisser acually it was a bigg one ,,,,
Hell I could have went to were everyhone else was getrting the show for free and it would have been better.
thought it was free for me,,,

Thank Yall
And thank you Sir

--Rick--

Gotta go with --Rick--

George
Pirate

Post by George » 04-28-2003 03:53 AM

To swimmbadd.
What is WYDHF? Is that your call letters? Are you a ham radio operator? Is a Icom 718 a shortwave radio?
I saw the Blue Angels at an airshow in Arizona once. Very impressive. Take care.

swimmbadd
Pirate

Post by swimmbadd » 04-28-2003 06:02 PM

WYDHF would be my vainity call,
I'm a wanna be who could have and should have pasted the test but missed the date for it.
The Icom 718 is a HF all band transceiver.
And the Blue Angels are awesome.
I've seen the Thunder Birds twice now as well as the Blue Angels.
Thay both Kick a s s :D

W= Eastern
Y= your
D= Dog
H=Has
F=fleas

Some old stuff that don't mean much any more

Any thing can happen
Just wait and listen
:D
--Rick--

juno4
Pirate

Post by juno4 » 05-07-2003 11:07 AM

Well, Linnea, I DID it!!! I PASSED the exam last night...I will let you know when I get my Call sign...Gee what a thrill and a Lot of studying...most all my 100 questions were Theory and Regs And the exam was in a very Cold room with one other person there..just the 2 of us...struggling...hahaha. I did not shine but glimmered thru the darned test...but I did it...Yahoo!! It all started because of your interest and encouragement.

PS where did all the Ham threads go?? Or have I missed a lot during my study time?: :) :cool:

Linnea

*Congrats!!!*

Post by Linnea » 05-09-2003 02:26 AM

Congratulations to you Juno! That is great you have your license. And 100 questions too. Only 35 of them on the Tech test here, as you know. That is quite an achievement! Excellent! What is the name of the amateur radio licensing agency in Canada? Do they have similar classes of licenses there?

Waiting for your call sign is fun. ;) How long does it take to get it? Looking forward to getting on the air before long. Wonder where and how we may be able to get together on the air. We'll have to do some research. I have a radio now, and am in the process of getting a shack set up. Have a couple of antennas up now, and hope to be getting some dipoles up soon as well. Can't afford a tuner just yet, so need to cut the wires for specific frequencies. Looking forward to hearing your call sign.

The threads have been slow here in our ham thread. Hope more hams will join us for discussion here. Again - you should be really proud and happy for all your dedication and hard work. Welcome to the world of amateur radio...

Linnea

juno4
Pirate

Post by juno4 » 05-09-2003 09:53 PM

Thanks Linnea,

Tough test for sure. here is the link for the Canadian Gov. site.
http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/sc_mrksv/spec ... pect1.html

..it is here where they also have an online test that you can download and go thru the Question bank..That helped a lot. Their site is horrible and hard to navigate but I managed. It takes about 2-3 weeks after I fax them the application to get my call sign. And here is the Canadian Call sign Data bank:

http://www.rac.ca/

So I get to choose 3 call signs and they give me one of them. It's hard to choose. I'll try for my intitials first as that one is available.

There are no formal classes here...(only 750,000 people on the island) You go to the local Ham club and they have a guy who kind of tells where to get a book...and from then on you are kind of on your own. He did show us some resistors and Capacitors but that was about it. I'm useing the downloaded Koch method for the CW studying...so far that one seems ok..there are others I might try but...:( I have only a J antenna the pres. of the ham club gave me...but hope to havea dipole soon...need some handy hams to help me as I live on my own and don't climb ladders or shoot slingshots hahaha
We'll should try and meet up on air...when we know more about the system...there are lots of repeaters up here.so ther may be a chance for us..:)

Return to “Ham Radio/DXing”