We Can't Ignore the Subject Much Longer.... BROKEBACK MOUNTA

Grassroots democracy. We need to secure our country from the global elites. Act now! Get informed.

Moderator: Super Moderators

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 12-12-2006 12:32 AM

Ennis is a deeply conflicted and deeply repressed person, who pays for his cowardice in love with a lifetime of regret. But if we cannot have pity on him, then by what right should we expect any pity for ourselves?
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 12-12-2006 01:05 AM

Waverider, very good analysis, as far as comparing this with any other movie, you can't, it stands alone.

vigo
Chief Swabbie

Post by vigo » 12-12-2006 01:14 AM

joequinn wrote: Ennis is a deeply conflicted and deeply repressed person, who pays for his cowardice in love with a lifetime of regret. But if we cannot have pity on him, then by what right should we expect any pity for ourselves?

Truer words have not...

After seeing these actors in some of their past roles I wonder if they themselves will live lives of regret. They left nothing for a swan song.

Of course they will continue on with other roles that may bring some critical acclaim, but it will always lack the vibrant and sorrowful color left on the canvas of Master Ang Lee’s adaption.

For the first time I think their gender slipped out of my conscience thoughts and I was left to see only two broken beings wasting away in the fire of their love. Like the last coals of a fire. Stoked to ash and then no more.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 12-12-2006 01:23 AM

Don't you worry about the Brokeback boys, Vigo! Jake Gyllenhaal supposedly is very good in Zodiac, which is coming out real soon, and Heath Ledger is supposed to star as the Joker next year in the next Batman film. The two of them have punched the gay square on their acting card, and they can go onto the other things in their careers now. In fact, I would not be surprised to see them reunite a couple of years from now in a decidedly heterosexual comedy. It just might happen...

By the way, I would love to see Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams play F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald. They would be perfect for the parts...

vigo
Chief Swabbie

Post by vigo » 12-12-2006 04:50 AM

Batman...:rolleyes: What a waste of a good instrument.

I think that BBM is a movie that takes several viewings to get to the real heart of the matter.

I am currently watching Shakespeare in Love. If memory does not fail me, I remember that (Sir William) Shakespeare had moments of confusion regarding his feelings towards one Thomas Kent. He unknowingly felt drawn to Violet as a man. As I did not have the pleasure of seeing this movie in the theatre, I was not aware of the possible controversy this dilemma proposed at the time. In the end Violet followed her duty and denied her true love. To me this is the greatest sin. Her unwillingness to sacrifice her position for Will made her a false love.

The real tragedy in BBM is that Ennis had fathered children without true love for his wife or family. I can’t help but feel a bit of shame for him. Yes, I am aware that he had experienced horrors in his life, but denying love in this instance is...tragic. Even after he was free to love he denied his true feelings.

I seem to be drawn toward tragedies...they are so much more real, less storied and more lifelike. To one person a movie's theme reveals comedy to another… tragedy.

Ennis’s selfishness to false duty speaks more to the truth of this heart wrenching story than the tragedy that unfolded in the end.

Sir Will in Shakespeare in Love seemed to say it best “...for love denied blights the soul we owe to God.”
Last edited by vigo on 12-12-2006 05:50 AM, edited 1 time in total.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 12-12-2006 09:49 AM

I have been a devout student of Shakespeare and his age for decades. I enjoyed SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE: in fact, I was shocked that people in this age (when we hobble on all fours and grunt) would see such a movie. But for all its delightfulness, it is bunk. Violet de Lesseps was an historical figure, but there is no evidence whatsoever that Shakespeare (who, being an actor, not only could never become a knight but who could not even be buried in consecrated ground if he died in Puritan London) ever had anything to do with her.

As far as we can tell, Shakespeare used to shack up with various wenches now and then, and there has been some evidence recently uncovered that the Dark Lady of the Sonnets may have been the dusky-skinned daughter of an Italian musician. Shakespeare never hob-nobbed with Queen Elizabeth: in fact, the only time when the two intersected was when Elizabeth considered having Shakespeare arrested for staging Richard II at the Globe Theater on the night before the Essex Rebellion. Nope, nothing so grand as what we saw in Shakespeare in Love!

Vigo, haven't you ever been cowardly when you should have been strong? and didn't your cowardice at that moment hurt other people? On those grounds, I ask for mercy on the poor soul of Ennis Del Mar. Believe me, he paid very, very dearly for his sins...

Waverider
Pirate

Post by Waverider » 12-12-2006 02:36 PM

Quote Vigo-
"Sir Will in Shakespeare in Love seemed to say it best “...for love denied blights the soul we owe to God.”-

In Love'
~destiny denied withers the soul.

And yes, that is deserving of pity.

May God grant forgiveness' of our fear of love~

A human being.

vigo
Chief Swabbie

Post by vigo » 12-12-2006 04:19 PM

Joe I must have forgotten to place my smiley faces next to the Shakespeare in Love commentary. :D I used S.I.L. for analogical reasons rather than critical ones. I also placed the title of “Sir” to the late William as a play on the movie’s glorification of Shakespeare. (We desperately need a Tongue in cheek smiley icon :D).

It was a movie that played on my emotions and gave me a reason to smile and empathize with Violet & William (This being a reference to my own lost love of the past).

Regarding Ennis…I attack his cowardice with the passion of a wraith because it keeps me from admitting to my own short comings. This I accept as cowardice on my part. I guess it is easier to attack a fictional character rather than own up to my past transgressions. :o

Jeri...the denial of love forever haunts us doesn't it...

Perfect LOVE casts out all fear.

Thank you Joe and Jeri for your Comments.

vigo
Chief Swabbie

Post by vigo » 12-12-2006 04:33 PM

Sir Joseph :D, as one of the great daydreamers of this age I appreciated the dreamlike quality of Shakespeare in Love. It seemed that the screenwriters took liberty with facts to portray their own daydreams in a fictional play to touch our hearts.

The biggest difference between SIL and BBM is that BBM seemed too real and close to home. The story in Brokeback Mountain seemed much deeper to the core of our own sorrow and pity rather than a lighter and sweetly portrayed love in a movie like SIL. Fiction and fact seemed to blur the lines of our realities in Brokeback Mountain. I think the difference between the two would be like dirt and sweat vs. confectioner’s sugar and lukewarm tea. :o

To this day I still cry viewing The Color Purple and the World according to Garp. Big macho softy that I am. ;)
Last edited by vigo on 12-12-2006 04:39 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Waverider
Pirate

Post by Waverider » 12-12-2006 04:53 PM

You' Vigo...

WOW' my spirit.

You have a divine way about you.

Thank you for the truth, put most superb.

vigo
Chief Swabbie

Post by vigo » 12-12-2006 05:41 PM

Waverider wrote: You' Vigo...

WOW' my spirit.

You have a divine way about you.

Thank you for the truth, put most superb.

:o

Nice being on the same page as somebody else. :)

Off to work!

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 01-07-2007 11:43 PM

I saw Midnight Cowboy tonight, the first time that I have seen the film since 1969. A great film that stands the test of time and perhaps the only film that was as courageous as Brokeback Mountain.

In 1969 everybody knew that the X-Rated Midnight Cowboy was the best film of the year, and they were brave enough to admit it.

In 2005 everybody knew that the R-Rated Brokeback Mountain was the best film of the year, and they were ashamed enough to deny it.

Those two facts alone are a measure of what our society has lost over the space of 36 years...

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 01-08-2007 12:02 AM

Those two facts alone are a measure of what our society has lost over the space of 36 years...

I think we have lost a hell of lot more than that Joe, a whole lot more.:mad:

joequinn
Magister Ludi

UH, OH...

Post by joequinn » 01-08-2007 02:03 PM

Please be advised that Jake Gyllenhaal is finally scheduled to host Saturday Night Live on 13 January 2007 and that all sorts of rumors are swarming throughout the disreputable places on the Net where I lurk over who is going to appear on the show with him and what kind of comedy skits are going to happen in it.

I don't know about you, but I am going to be sitting in front of my TV on Saturday night, cowboy hat firmly in place on my head at a rakish angle, to show my solidarity with the Revolution. Because, you see, anyone who mans the barricades for human freedom has my undying loyalty. And besides, as Jake himself so passionately said at The MTV Awards when he and Heath Ledger received The Best Kiss Award, "it's a big deal, it's a very big deal"!

Then too, it is always a hoot to see an explosive return of the repressed... :D :D :D

Last edited by joequinn on 01-08-2007 02:35 PM, edited 1 time in total.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 01-13-2007 08:02 PM

Just wanted to remind you that Jake Gyllenhaal is hosting Saturday Night Live this evening, 11:30 PM EST, on NBC.

Now I am only going to tell you this just once: either you saddle up and ride on up the mountain to meet him, or you surrender your gay card --- permanently!

And God help you if you wander into a honky-tonk on the wrong side of town without your gay card to protect you! It's the only thing that is stronger than a tire-iron, lil darling!
Last edited by joequinn on 01-13-2007 08:15 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “American Survival”