Linnea

ISP's confirm '2012: The Year The Internet Ends

Post by Linnea » 07-05-2008 01:57 PM

http://history-political.blogspot.com/2 ... t-end.html

You Tube Video: Net Neutrality Activists

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 07-05-2008 10:56 PM

The video reminds me of a techie "The Blair Witch Project" and I also hope this is all a hoax, too.

BUT . . . if the world (as we know it) is supposed to end in 2012, losing the Internet won't matter a bit, will it?
It's either real or it's a dream, There's nothing that is in between. ~ Jeff Lynne

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 07-05-2008 11:21 PM

Linnea, this article peaked my interest so I did some further research as my business is mostly internet related and this would basically put me out of business. Here is what DSL Reports has to say about this video. Now what they say here doesn't necessarily make it true but, just another side of the coin.

No, The Internet Doesn't End In 2012
After promising sex for neutrality support, Belgian activist gets more attention

I've had roughly a dozen people submit this report (slow to load) that claims Canadian phone companies Telus and Bell Canada are planning to start charging customers extra to access certain websites by 2012. Given Telus's previous history of blocking their customers from accessing websites Telus didn't agree with, and the fact their wireless service already essentially does this, it almost sounds plausible. However, despite making the front page of both digg (11,000 diggs at last count) and Reddit, I've seen nothing to substantiate any of the claims made by the report. In the report's own words:
Bell Canada and TELUS (formerly owned by Verizon) employees officially confirm that by 2012 ISP's all over the globe will reduce Internet access to a TV-like subscription model, only offering access to a small standard amount of commercial sites and require extra fees for every other site you visit. These 'other' sites would then lose all their exposure and eventually shut down, resulting in what could be seen as the end of the Internet.

The article claims that someone named Dylan Pattyn was working on fleshing out this story for Time. I tracked down and called the 26-year-old Pattyn, who says he is submitting an amateur piece to Time based on claims he's received from employees within Telus, who insist the company is exploring per-website fees. However, no employee has gone on the record, and he wasn't able to provide me documentation. Not exactly substantive.

I've tried to reach both Telus and Bell Canada for comment, but have yet to hear back.

I did recognize the woman in the accompanying video as Tanya Devereaux, the same Belgian "Internet activist" who promised to have sex with any virgins who would support network neutrality. Devereaux last year failed to grab a seat in the Belgian Senate despite hinting she'd give voters oral sex. It appears she's engaging in a bit of viral net neutrality warfare. Or she's spamming whatever the hell this is.

If the claim is a viral hoax I suppose it's only fair play, considering the companies opposed to network neutrality aren't any more honest.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/No-T ... ocomment=1

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 07-05-2008 11:45 PM

Oh the guys at DSL reports are pretty straight forward, hope the post doesn't offend anyone. As a marketing person if the video Linnea posted was to get attention to the cause of NET Neutrality,..Bravo, I say whatever works :)

Return to “News from a parallel universe”